PDA

View Full Version : FSSC API Macro Texture Question

OBIO
November 16th, 2008, 12:02
I have finally figured out how to get new API macros into FSSC...at least the API macros themselves. The Textures for those macros is another matter. I have them placed in the main CFS2 texture folder, but FSSC says it can not find the textures. Where do the bloody textures go so that FSSC can find them and include them in the scenery export so that I do not have to copy and paste the texture files into the Texture folder within the scenery package? Trying to keep track of which macros I use and which textures go to each of them will become rather daunting with the number of API macros I plan on adding to the program and using in my scenery.

OBIO

ckissling
November 16th, 2008, 12:42
Obio
The problem with macros is that they are not destroyable, I have a number of airfields and scenery in my Europe install and all you can do
is fly over them. I would rather bomb the hell out of em. ckissling

MaskRider
November 16th, 2008, 13:24
The macros themselves- the xxxx.api files- go into the Leung Software\FS Scenery Creator\Macros folder

The bmps for the macros- the images that show up in the FSSC macro properties dialogue window- go into the Leung Software\FS Scenery Creator\Macros\Bitmaps folder. These are the bmps that show a small picture of what the macro/object looks like.

The macro object library xxxx.bgl files go into the Combat Flight Simulator 2\SCENEDB\inf\scenery folder.

The macro object library texture files- also xxxx.bmp files- go into Combat Flight Simulator 2\SCENEDB\inf\texture folder. These bmps will usually contain alpha channels and stuff and won't be recognizable when open in a regular image viewer.

Your FSSC/Options/preferences/locations/texture folder should be zeroed in on your Combat Flight Simulator 2\TEXTURE folder.

Some add on scenery object libraries/macros come with their own custom texture. Those custom textures always go into the SCENEDB\inf\texture folder.

Other add on scenery object libraries/macros utilize CFS2's stock textures in the main CFS2 TEXTURE folder. That is the folder FSSC always needs to be pointed to.

CFS2 will look first in the texture folder adjacent to the library object bgls scenery folder and then default to the main cfs2 texture folder.

Chris

BTW Which Macro Pack are you installing?

MaskRider
November 16th, 2008, 14:00
Obio
The problem with macros is that they are not destroyable, I have a number of airfields and scenery in my Europe install and all you can do
is fly over them. I would rather bomb the hell out of em. ckissling

Back in the "olden" days STATIC scenery objects- API Macros- were all that was available to the scenery developers.

It wasn't until a couple of the real pioneers in CFS2 scenery design came along and figured out their secret that DYNAMIC scenery (objects that change appearance when you bomb the hell out of em) such as those we can now add via MB to the GSL became possible.

That doesn't exclude using API Macros. I still use them to during the initial roughing in of airfield layouts so that I can size hard stands, and other hard areas of the airfields so that they will fit the objects I later use for the GSL layouts.

And there still exist desirable objects that are only available as api macros.

OBIO
November 16th, 2008, 15:11
MaskRider

Thanks for the break down on where the files go. That info will be printed out and kept in a safe place.

ckissling,

The scenery I am creating is geared toward general aviation use....just places to take off from and land....with the goal of being able to fly coast to coast in the US of A. The fact that the items are not destroyable is not an issue in these scenery files as they are not intended to be bombed or strafed.

OBIO

MaskRider
November 16th, 2008, 15:17
I understand- just a little eye candy. I do the same thing. A nice thing, too, that I like about macros is that they are scalable- unlike the GSL style objects.

OBIO
November 16th, 2008, 15:41
MR

The packs I have are from a number of places...some by Cees Donker, Ted Miller, Stiz, Leon Louis. Some are CFS2, some are FS2000 (not sure if they will work in CFS2 scenery or not....hope so...neat vintage planes to add as statics).

OBIO

OBIO
November 16th, 2008, 16:04
Okay...still not working.

API files and the preview bmps went into a new folder called NEWS CFS2...this is under the Macros folder of FSSC.

The actual texture bmps went into the SCENEDB/INF/Texture folder of CFS2.

I placed one of the Macro structures into a FSSC scenery file...that was fine...the program found the macro and placed it just fine.

Went to do a test export to see if it would include the texture bmps....and beside the files needed to texture the macro image it says can not find the texture files.

OBIO

OBIO
November 16th, 2008, 16:43
Okay, maybe I am wanting FSSC to do something that it will not do...namely, include the needed texture files for the macros I use inside the exported scenery TEXTURE folder. Will, or can, FSSC include the needed texture bmps as part of the scenery package, or do I need to place a copy of the needed texture bmps inside the TEXTURE folder of the individual scenery folder.

Example:

SCENERY NAME (Master Folder): Mansfield Lahm

Inside the Mansfield Lahm folder there are two other folders:

SCENERY: contains the bgl files for the scenery

TEXTURE: contains the bmp files needed to texture the scenery items

Does or can FSSC automatically include the needed bmp files inside the TEXTURE folder or do I need to keep a list of the macro items used in the scenery, then go to the master folder for that macro and copy the bmps into the TEXTURE folder of the scenery.

OBIO

Okay: I figured out how to include the texture bmps inside the exported scenery folder. Took some serious head scratching, but I finally got it. It doesn't do it automatically, but it isn't hard to include the files if you have the files set up right.