PDA

View Full Version : Something precious...

Cloud9Gal
June 30th, 2010, 17:50
Feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/Windfury/DSC_0082.jpg

Kiwikat
June 30th, 2010, 19:03
I really like that one! The way it fades into OOF is perfect. Black and white suits it perfectly too. :ernae:

Tracon
June 30th, 2010, 19:35
The entire image seems too simple. IMO not enough shadows. I feel the lighting on the brushed metal pendants and the diamonds in the middle creates too much of a glare. The beads on the necklace seem to fade into bokeh circles. Appears pretty darn sharp to me. The aperture is perfect. Adjust placement of pendants and experiment with some different lighting.

Cloud9Gal
July 1st, 2010, 02:53
KiwiKat~ Thank you! I'm glad you like it. I love the B&W with that shot as well.

Tracon~ I will play some more with it and take some shots. I wanted the photo to be simple. No frillies!
However, I will try some of your suggestions, the first being to try and reduce some of the glare. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me.

Chacha
July 1st, 2010, 07:38
Beautiful

JorisVandenBerghe
July 1st, 2010, 10:02
The entire image seems too simple. IMO not enough shadows. I feel the lighting on the brushed metal pendants and the diamonds in the middle creates too much of a glare. The beads on the necklace seem to fade into bokeh circles. The aperture is perfect.
A quote I often use for photos is "des goûts et des couleurs, on ne dispute pas" :)...Cloud9Gal knows what I mean - I hope you get my point: it may appear (too) simple to you, but I really like it ;).

I haven't yet checked the EXIF, but I'd love to use an even smaller depth of field on this one. Imagine this shot at, say, f/2.8 or an even larger aperture...

I'd also give it just a tad more contrast. Not too much, just a little :).

Cloud9Gal
July 1st, 2010, 15:44
Thank you for the nice compliment Chacha :)

Joris~ I'm glad you like the shot! Thank you for your valuable input! Much appreciated my friend! 10-4 on the French statement.

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s8203.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

I honestly appreciate all feedback. I've always said that feedback is a gift.

Snuffy
July 2nd, 2010, 11:04
I can see why these are precious C9G ... very nice indeed.

Comments again by others more photographically capable than myself aside, I like the composition.

Did you try one with the chain collected together near the pendants, instead of just running out of the photo?

:applause:

Moparmike
July 2nd, 2010, 13:30
Another few suggestions to play with regarding the lighting.
Bounce flash or just some extra light thrown in from another angle or two...tables lamps or what have you.
Are you just using the on-board flash or a separate unit? To bounce with the on-board, grab a white piece of paper and hold it in front of the flash to block the light from going forward...try various ways of aiming the flash to bounce it off a white ceiling or nearby wall.

Or, a flash diffuser would soften up the lighting too. If you head down to your local Walmart, they probably have a roll of Con-Tact brand clear shelf liner (the SKU number on the package I bought is 04F-C5T55-01...18" wide and 4' long). This stuff is translucent plastic with a small diamond pattern on it. Just about perfect for making flash diffusers out of...it will allow forward light, but also can bounce light for ya too.
And that 4' roll is tons cheaper than a Gary Fong Lightsphere too. :)

At f/5.6, I'm guessing that you're wide open using the kit lens? Not much opportunity to shallow up the DoF any more then...but I think the pendants are framed nicely in the DoF...maybe try focusing a bit farther to the rear. Switch to manual focus if you have to, otherwise you can just lock focus and recompose a bit. The ring on the pendants seem to be starting to slip out of focus a bit and starts to "fuzz" out the pendant to my eye.

Otherwise, I like the shot.
I think it would also work well in color...that way you wouldn't loose the identity of the birthstones.

Cloud9Gal
July 4th, 2010, 06:32
Mike~

Here's the shot un-retouched-

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/Windfury/DSC_0082-1.jpg

jmig
July 6th, 2010, 09:44
The title does indeed fit the image. In all great photos, the central theme of the image is apparent. It is here. I think the shot needs no improvement to accomplish its objective.

Sometimes the KISS principle also works with photography.

Moparmike
July 6th, 2010, 21:49
Just for fun, I did some playing around with this one tonight. Had to take a break from trying to salvage a couple shots that I porked up at the airshow last week.

This is another version of a B&W conversion using your original. I applied a slight blue filter that darkened up the table surface a bit to make the pendants stand out a bit more.
Not that your original attempt isn't a keeper...I just got bored and started playing.