PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite WW II Airwar Movie?

Devildog73
June 25th, 2010, 15:16
Just curious as to what everyone's favorite WW II airwar movie is?

I like Midway.

Toastmaker
June 25th, 2010, 15:20
"Memphis Belle"

Really liked the music, cinematography and casting - regardless that it wasn't exactly historically accurate. . .

:running:

Quixoticish
June 25th, 2010, 16:00
Battle of Britain, without a doubt.

Tora! Tora! Tora! Comes in second place.

txnetcop
June 25th, 2010, 16:38
Battle of Britain-done so extremely well!
Ted

TARPSBird
June 25th, 2010, 16:53
My favorite is Fighter Squadron starring Robert Stack and Edmund O'Brien. Runner-up is Battle of Britain.

PRB
June 25th, 2010, 16:58
Dive Bomber! Ok, not precisely WW-II, but close (1941). Features some great color footage of Vindicator dive bombers and other planes of the era. And a good story too, about the medical science of high G associated with recovery from dive bombing runs. Good stuff.

Curtis P40
June 25th, 2010, 17:10
12 O'clock High

GT182
June 25th, 2010, 17:32
Battle of Britain

12 O'clock High

The War Lover

And last but not least... Kelly's Heros

Rami
June 25th, 2010, 17:46
Midway and Tora, Tora, Tora goes for me, though I like parts of Memphis Belle as well.

The Battle of Britain "Repeat, please" is also one of my favorites.

Sorry, I can't just pick one. :redface:

For a "complete BS" vote...what about Final Countdown?

PRB
June 25th, 2010, 17:56
Midway and Tora, Tora, Tora goes for me, though I like parts of Memphis Belle as well.

The Battle of Britain "Repeat, please" is also one of my favorites.

Sorry, I can't just pick one. :redface:

For a "complete BS" vote...what about Final Countdown?

For some reason, I loved The Final Countdown. It was a fun "Sci-Fi" type movie. I thought of it as a Star Trek eppisode, more or less. :d

demorier
June 25th, 2010, 18:03
I liked "Memphis Belle" when I first saw it....it's still my favorite.

Pips
June 25th, 2010, 18:12
Battle Of Britain hands down. :) War Lover a close second (I just fast forward those soppy bits)

Eoraptor1
June 25th, 2010, 18:22
I'll watch pretty much anything with actual aerial footage as opposed to CGI. Now, I know the day is coming when we'll be hard pressed to tell CGI animation from real flying aircraft, but we're not there yet.

JAMES

robert41
June 25th, 2010, 18:44
How bout these.

Airforce
30 seconds over toyko
wing and a prayer
12 oclock high
battle of britain
tora tora tora
murphy's war
midway

norab
June 25th, 2010, 19:05
633 Squadron, love the mossies

olderndirt
June 25th, 2010, 19:58
How about 'The Dam Busters' - Wing Commander Guy Gibson VC.

Gdavis101
June 25th, 2010, 21:56
Memphis Belle for me. :jump::jump:

pilottj
June 25th, 2010, 23:09
Tora Tora Tora would be my favorite.

Long ago there was a great Masterpiece Theatre series on PBS called Piece of Cake that was quite good.

I thought the little BOB bombing raid sequence in the beginning of Narnia Lion Witch and Wardobe was quite well done.

Cheers
TJ

crashaz
June 25th, 2010, 23:31
Tora! Tora! Tora! (go figure)
12 O Clock High
The War Lover
Men of the Fighting Lady
Flying Tigers
BoB

stuartcox
June 26th, 2010, 00:48
Battle of Britain
633 Squadron

Every time I watch Battle of Britain, I need to point out several landmark buildings in my hometown (Eastbourne), that hadn't been built until 1962!
Great shots over Beachy Head though!

Sascha66
June 26th, 2010, 00:50
The best:

Dark Blue World

followed by:

Toa! Tora Tora!

and

Battle of Britain

and

Black Sheep which should have been a movie too!

Bushpounder
June 26th, 2010, 01:23
12 O'clock High, Memphis Belle

Don

stiz
June 26th, 2010, 03:38
Dive Bomber! Ok, not precisely WW-II, but close (1941).

which would place it 3 yrs into ww2 then :monkies::icon_lol:

mine in no paticular order:-

Dark Blue World
Dambusters
BOB
Aces High
Tora Tora Tora
and the glider+c47 bits in a bridge to far :)

hewman100
June 26th, 2010, 03:51
I think I'm in agreement with what's come up so far.

Dark Blue World
Battle of Britain
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dambusters
and Angels One Five.

KOM.Nausicaa
June 26th, 2010, 04:02
Unfortunately there are not many good airwar movies around --

Favorite: Dark Blue World and Memphis Belle, and the french "Le Chevalier du Ciel" for the best flying scenes ever filmed, hands down.
I can't stand much in the Battle of Britain movie, I know I know, sorry to disagree.

For CGI, I am a strong advocate. I believe it would (will) show much better what the real scope and violence of some engagements was about -- instead of flying around in three Spit's and one and half Bf109 (with the wrong engine).

Looking forward to the new The Dambusters and Tuskegee airman film.

hurricane3
June 26th, 2010, 04:20
Hands down ,without a doubt Battle of Britian IS the all time best airwar movie ever ,ever ever, made. Close follow ups are (although not really an airwar movie )is A Bridge too Far ,also Tora Tora Tora,and the old Airforce, I could go on but that tops the list.
Did I mention The Battle Of Britian?

hurricane3
June 26th, 2010, 04:21
I forgot The Dambusters,and 633 Squadron, sombody shut me up!.

hubbabubba
June 26th, 2010, 05:48
The Dam Busters with Richard Todd as Guy Gibson. In The Longest Day, Todd played the role of Major John Howard, the officer responsible for holding the Pegasus bridges until reinforcement arrived. In real life, he was a Captain in the British 6th Airborne Division and was part of the reinforcement!

A good place to sift through is HERE (http://www.coastcomp.com/av/fltline2/avmovie.htm)
, lots of warbirds movies mentioned.

And, yeah, by 1941, many people were up to their eyeballs in WWII...:kilroy:

ibl19108
June 26th, 2010, 06:04
For me, Battle of Britain.
Then Tora, Tora, Tora, Dunkirk (b/w), The Cruel Sea (b/w), The Battle of the River Plate (Graf Spee), The Malta Story (Spitfires), Dam Busters - Peter Jackson is doing a remake.:salute:

TeaSea
June 26th, 2010, 06:32
"Catch-22", bar none for flying sequences alone....

Eat this CGI Boys!!!

2jYoeqUs2KI&feature

Unfortunately, you couldn't film it today....even if you could scare up the airplanes, the insurance costs alone would be prohibitive.

Joseph Heller, who was a Bombardier on a B-25 in WWII stated repeatedly that this was not an anti-war movie, but rather a comment using dark humor regarding the rise of management bureaucracy and it's impact on the individual. It's not a necessarily a dystopia like "Brave New World" or "1984", but closely follows those themes in that the individual is marginalized to feed the greater good of the state. A natural enough tendency in wartime, and Heller uses that to make his point.

However, because "Catch-22" was released in 1970 it could not help but be associated with the anti-war moment. The movie was also released at the same time "MASH" was, and although critically acclaimed, died at the box office that summer in competition with "MASH", which was an anti-war movie. The book Catch-22 was written in the 1950's and published in 1961, long before U.S. involvement in Viet Nam went beyond just a few advisers.

Haining
June 26th, 2010, 09:01
I know that it's not Second World War but "Hell's Angels", Ben Lyon and Jean Harlow. Directed by Howard Hughes in 1930. 80 years old but still well worth watching.

Bjoern
June 26th, 2010, 09:02
"Catch-22", bar none for flying sequences alone....

Hahahaha! Nice! :d
Need to get my hands on that movie.

Dark Blue World (Tmavomodrý svět) hands down.

Impressive from second one. It just feels so...authetic and human.

Craig Taylor
June 26th, 2010, 09:12
So many good movies mentioned already (jots down a list of things to find on cable).

I'll throw in "Flying Leathernecks" for the Corsair alone (just not featured enough in movies, in my opinion), plus you can't go wrong with the Duke as a Marine. I thought the movie had a really good side plot with John Wayne and Robert Ryan and the issues of command and leadership. I've also enjoyed "1941" for the entertainment value alone. Wild Bill Kelso rocks!

jbtate
June 26th, 2010, 09:52
A mention of "Empire of the Sun". Prepare for tears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv9rirLk2kA
jbtate

UncleTgt
June 26th, 2010, 12:13
Not really airwar, but my vote goes a story about the airwar in the ETO ...

Way to the Stars ( The story of Halfpenny Field, England ...)

very GB 1950's stiff upper lip & all that, but a powerful story nonetheless

Some more ...

Visually impressive concept - A Matter of Life & Death (1945)

"Septic calling ..." Angels One Five

The Dambusters (1953)

& of course Battle of Britain, though more for the Luftwaffe March scene than the air scenes ...

WarHorse47
June 26th, 2010, 13:34
'Reach for the Sky" with Kenneth More and "Thirty Seconds over Tokoyo."

:ernae:

--WH

KOM.Nausicaa
June 26th, 2010, 14:24
Dark Blue World all the way

(plane scenes after first minute)

nkHTQKWrdj0

TARPSBird
June 26th, 2010, 14:59
Dark Blue World is one of the few airplane flicks my wife enjoys watching, because of the love triangle story. It's an essential part of the movie's plot but doesn't detract from the combat stuff. Unlike Pearl Harbor where about 1/4th of the way through the flick you're already sick of the love scenes and just waiting for the attack to start.