PDA

View Full Version : FS2004 and Defrag

T Square
June 25th, 2010, 12:57
Does anyone know of a good quality Freeware Defrag program ?

wolfgang89
June 25th, 2010, 13:10
Try Defraggler from Piriform. I use all their products.
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Note: When it comes to installation, be sure to uncheck the free yahoo toolbar, unless ofcourse you want it installed.

Hope the above helps

Wolfgang89

Fleet Canuck
June 25th, 2010, 15:23
That's interesting. I use CCleaner by Piriform. Is Defraggler better? Should I use both?

wolfgang89
June 25th, 2010, 16:11
That's interesting. I use CCleaner by Piriform. Is Defraggler better? Should I use both?

Defraggler is equivalent of Windows Defragmenter, to defragament the harddrive
CCleaner is equivalent of Windows Disk Cleanup, to clean up the harddrive

The two programs for two completely different purposes and are ofcourse much more effective than the default windows equivalents

Hope the above helps

Wolfgang89

Crusader
June 25th, 2010, 17:09
A very popular freeware defragger used by many here at SOH is IOBIT's " Smart Defragger". Fast and does a thorough job .

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

Rich

Z-claudius24
June 25th, 2010, 17:44
Hi,

A good defragger is the one coming originaly with your OS
I will not post again about the myth of the fragmentation and relation with FS2004 performances improvement .. if it's the outcome expected by a defragmentation ....

Defraggler

ofcourse much more effectiveIn what defraggler is much more effective than the Windows defragger ? (in matter of a mythic FS2004 performances improvement or any other general performances of the system)
Please check first the technical performances of your hard disk (speed for write-copy or move datas) before answer :)

wolfgang89
June 26th, 2010, 04:46
Hi,

A good defragger is the one coming originaly with your OS
I will not post again about the myth of the fragmentation and relation with FS2004 performances improvement .. if it's the outcome expected by a defragmentation ....

Defraggler
In what defraggler is much more effective than the Windows defragger ? (in matter of a mythic FS2004 performances improvement or any other general performances of the system)
Please check first the technical performances of your hard disk (speed for write-copy or move datas) before answer :)

Thank you for your insight. I shall choose my words carefully before typing them on this forum. I honestly neither care about this myth that you choose to refer to and neither am I going to go and look up any technical performances. I was here to just make a suggestion. One can just try Defraggler and then find the answer (i.e. its effectiveness) for themselves. There is nothing wrong with trying.

Wolfgang89

Z-claudius24
June 26th, 2010, 05:05
Hi,

There is nothing wrong with trying. Indeed.
Myself use Smart Defragger :)
Why ? cause I like the interface :) .. nothing related to performances of the soft.
I don't often use it .. maybe twice or 3 times a year ...
I download many things .. delete .. install .. copy-paste etc...
After 3 or 4 months a Smart Defragger analyse show me a fragmentation of 4 or 5 % .. so it's nothing.
Defrag can just reduce some loading time of big files or big softwares .. but usually the gain is not perceptible.. unless your hard disk was fragmented like 50% or 60 % !!
Anyways I suggest to never spend a cent in a payware defragger ... it's useless.

Quax d. Bruchpilot
June 26th, 2010, 08:40
Isn't there a freeware o&o defrag available ?

Z-claudius24
June 26th, 2010, 10:06
Hi,

Yes :)
http://majorgeeks.com/O&O_Defrag_2000_Freeware_Edition_d4545.html

Quax d. Bruchpilot
June 26th, 2010, 11:20
O&O is very good for my opinion... and reduces the defragtime. thx claudius ! :applause: