PDA

View Full Version : 'NCO Club'

Panther_99FS
June 24th, 2010, 19:33
I must say that the one here at Lackland AFB is top notch! :salute:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1223/4731602433_4125bfdfef_b.jpg

TARPSBird
June 24th, 2010, 19:53
Many years ago a Chief I worked for said the Navy should build bases like the Air Force. The AF builds the clubs and barracks before the hangars and runways, if they need more $$ they'll get it because you gotta have hangars and runways. The Navy builds the hangars and runways first, then they end up short of $$ and the troops get crap barracks and clubs. Probably not true nowadays with so much emphasis on quality of life, but it seemed to be true in the past. AF's NCO quarters are usually way better than the Navy's. Flew into Offutt at 0200 one night and it was nice to be able to grab a beer out of the fully-stocked fridge in my room. On that same space-A trip I spent a night at Andrews and the TV in my room was bigger than my own.

Willy
June 24th, 2010, 20:31
I always heard that too Tarps. Never knew if there was any truth to it, but it always seemed like the Air Force had nicer looking bases than we did in the Navy.

Bone
June 25th, 2010, 01:31
It's funny you should say that, TARPSbird. My dad, who did 25 years in the USAF, always told me that the Navy built it's golf courses first, and then built the base around that. lol.

Now, we just need Panther to put up some pics of the Auger Inn.

MaskRider
June 25th, 2010, 01:52
Might be because real sailors live on ships, not on "bases". For sailors, the beach side facilities just need to be "functional". ;)

stansdds
June 25th, 2010, 03:02
Damn! I've seen some Army NCO clubs and officer's clubs, but never an NCO club that looked that nice!

TeaSea
June 25th, 2010, 03:40
At least it's got an aviation and military theme. Here at MacDill, they re-did the NCO club's lunch counter into some sort of retro-chrome diner bar....

Looks like crap.

txnetcop
June 25th, 2010, 12:11
Hey P visit the NCO club at Fort Sam Houston...it looks like the same interior designer did that one too. Very nice!
Ted

TARPSBird
June 25th, 2010, 13:00
The NAS Oceana Officers' Club is one Navy facility where they have really done it right, both in aviation decor and customer service. I have been there for numerous Navy receptions and a couple of civilian Christmas parties catered by the club staff. Great place to eat and drink.
Was looking online for a pic of their "Check Six Bar" but couldn't find any.

Railrunner130
June 25th, 2010, 13:05
It's been my experience that Navy billeting is really nice. Above the Air Force par. Although I'm not a fan of Souda billeting.

The Heritage room at the 62nd AS at Little Rock is incredible. It has memorabilia from WWII onwards. The last time I saw it though was in the old building. I have no idea what it looks like now.

The on-base clubs are taking a beating though. They are nowhere near as popular or as good a deal as they used to be. At most bases, clubs are now all ranks. I do see this change as a vast improvement.

Willy
June 25th, 2010, 13:30
The on-base clubs are taking a beating though. They are nowhere near as popular or as good a deal as they used to be. At most bases, clubs are now all ranks. I do see this change as a vast improvement.

If I was still active, as a CPO I'd stay the heck away from an all ranks club. As a Chief, I didn't like to hang out with the younger enlisted. I grew out of that drinking to raise hell. Besides, with atmosphere when I retired, it would be like asking for trouble.

Roadburner440
June 25th, 2010, 13:57
Bone if that isn't the truth I don't know what is. We have needed more parking on NS Mayport for years now, but the darn golf course was in the way. Their solution was to move entire squadrons over to NAS Jacksonville to free up parking... I think it would of been cheaper and easier to cut into the golf course, lol. That golf course is probably almost a third of the entire base it seems like... maybe really a quarter. It is definately huge though on such a small base. Only NCO clubs we have in the Navy are for the E-7 through E-9. Never been in one, but hopefully some day will see what it is all about.

TARPSBird
June 25th, 2010, 14:11
Only NCO clubs we have in the Navy are for the E-7 through E-9. Never been in one, but hopefully some day will see what it is all about.
Many of the CPO clubs have been reduced to "CPO bars", annexes to the existing EM clubs with access limited to Chiefs only. Most of the ones I've been in are small with limited hours (the Oceana CPO club closes 7:00 PM), and very little nautical/aviation atmosphere. Still, it is a great privilege to be a Navy Chief Petty Officer and be able to lift a brew at even the most podunk CPO club in the Navy! :)

TeaSea
June 25th, 2010, 15:26
The club system worked in the past because military bases lacked any competition. There were no Taco Bell's, no Burger Kings, no little BX, PX, or NEX malls....there were only two places you could eat, at the Mess, or at the Club, and you couldn't drink at the Mess.

Few NCO's or Officers lived off base or off post. They couldn't afford it, and most installations were a long way out of town (this has changed as urbanization has pushed right up to the front gates). If you lived on the installation, having a few drinks at the end of the duty day was acceptable. I would add that some have come to believe that this meant alcohol was unduly promoted. I would point out that even with emphasis on DUI's alcohol is still a problem, except now the club systems cannot be held accountable.

Clubs used to house the recreation facilities (golf courses, pools, tennis courts, gyms)...those have been stripped away by MWR and other sources.

Commanders had wide authority and would "order" members to join the club system. All social activities would take place at the club (hails and farewells, retirements, dining in/out, wedding receptions...the whole gambit). It was not acceptable to even consider any other venue.

Roadburner440
June 25th, 2010, 16:48
Ever since I have been in we have always done our command functions/retirements, and so forth on base with the MWR, or other on base clubs/facilities. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think most are better off staying on base anyway cause the prices are far more reasonable than out in town. Bet it is good to be a CPO though. I am a long ways off from that club though. Just joined the E-6 ranks.. Already starting to plan for my package and such though. Hopefully at some point I will be able to join one of the most exclusive clubs in the world.

Willy
June 25th, 2010, 17:23
Roadburner, when I was active there were a lot of bases with what was called an Acey Duecy Club for the PO1 and PO2.

When you get on ship, most large ones will have a First Class Mess where you can eat or hang out with the other First Classes. We had one on the Lexington and on the Frank Cable when I was on those ships.

TeaSea
June 26th, 2010, 05:11
Although MacDill has a fairly decent officer's club -- one of the original base buildings -- I am not a member. I simply live too far out to take advantage of it.

The NCO club is actually where most official functions take place, and it's run fairly well and sits overlooking the bay....however, as I indicated, I think they've gotten a bit off track.

Panther_99FS
June 26th, 2010, 15:31
Great comments here....
I must say that the club here is top notch & I'm proud to be a member! :jump:

TeaSea
June 26th, 2010, 15:59
Well Panther, one thing about the club system, new and old, is it often depended on the local management. I'm glad to hear that you are having a good experience.

You come to MacDill and I'll treat you to something here at the club....guarantee. If you're a comm guy, I have a job for you.

Roadburner440
June 26th, 2010, 16:31
Being in LAMPS I only ever go on smaller ships (Destroyers, Frigates and such). So the First Class Mess that I have seen is usually a table in the galley with a plaque that says "First Class Petty Officers Only." I have heard on carriers there are PO1 messes though, and they get head of line priveledges. Of course those could all be sea stories though. :ernae: Prolly like the 24 hour taco bar/sub thing on the carrier as well. Those would be nice on the smaller ships that is for sure since mid-rats is such garbage usually.. I have gone far off topic though. I think in Mayport our clubs are pretty good from what I have seen. Castaways is nice, but that is a come one come all club.