June 24th, 2010, 09:17
This is darn cool. Hopefully the next one will have some TIEs.:jump:

http://www.scifiairshow.com/guided-tour.html

Cratermaker
June 24th, 2010, 09:23
Very nice.

Quixoticish
June 24th, 2010, 09:28
I posted this on another forum recently. It's fantastic.

MaddogK
June 24th, 2010, 09:35
Nice to see the Eagle again, the old Vipers look cool too. Needs an X-wing and a Cylon raider tho.

Lionheart
June 24th, 2010, 09:49
Ok... This has to be Photoshopped. I can believe the Eagle is real, but some of the others cannot be, can they? The Eagle alone would be a monstrous endeavor to create in full scale mockup. The work on the top ladder chassi assembly alone would be a super expensive endeavor...

Bill

KOM.Nausicaa
June 24th, 2010, 10:25
Nice 3D and photoshop work there -- you gotta be good :salute::d

KOM.Nausicaa
June 24th, 2010, 10:31
Ok -- intel is the guy is visual effects supervisor at ILM..what I thought, you gotta be good :d
What was it, Bill? Maya or Cinema4D ?

Quixoticish
June 24th, 2010, 11:08
Ok... This has to be Photoshopped. I can believe the Eagle is real, but some of the others cannot be, can they? The Eagle alone would be a monstrous endeavor to create in full scale mockup. The work on the top ladder chassi assembly alone would be a super expensive endeavor...

Bill

I think it's fairly obvious that it's a photoshop endeavour.

Lionheart
June 24th, 2010, 11:24
Goodness man. I was hoping a few of them were real. It would be cool to go to a airshow or museum and see these things.

Maybe George Lucas should think of doing that. Have a StarWars and SciFi full scale museum! Alot of his vehicles were in full scale.

Bill

GT182
June 24th, 2010, 12:28
That was cool! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif And yeah, I agree with ya Bill. That would really be cool.

Bjoern
June 24th, 2010, 15:13
Nicely done, but the ships themselves don't tingle my retros.

Gimme a Firefly or something from the Freespace or Homeworld lore and I'll be a happy camper. :jump:

Brian_Gladden
June 24th, 2010, 17:06
Nicely done, but the ships themselves don't tingle my retros.

Gimme a Firefly or something from the Freespace or Homeworld lore and I'll be a happy camper. :jump:

Seconds on the Firefly!!!!

magoo
June 24th, 2010, 18:12
What a hoot!! Thanks for the link!

Lionheart
June 24th, 2010, 19:19
Could you imagine a full scale FireFly that you could walk through in a tour? Dang.... I liked how you got to the crews quarters, under the control cabin or command center..

Bill

Piglet
June 24th, 2010, 19:35
Time to build some more sci-fi, and have a FSX sci-fi airshow...
That Orion looked really cool.

Lionheart
June 25th, 2010, 00:20

Yeah it did. Smaller then I thought it would be. I had figured it would be huge.

Bjoern
June 25th, 2010, 09:09
Could you imagine a full scale FireFly that you could walk through in a tour? Dang.... I liked how you got to the crews quarters, under the control cabin or command center..

Jayne's bunk...:icon_lol:

Homeworld's Acolyte please!

Moses03
June 25th, 2010, 09:16
The Spindrift from Land of The Giants. Cool!

Lionheart
June 25th, 2010, 10:48
The Spindrift from Land of The Giants. Cool!

I had that model. Pretty cool as it had a full interior. Same with the Flying Sub (yellow) from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. The sad thing is the Flying Sub has those stupid huge tires on it. What an awesome shape the rest of it is.....

Bill

Cazzie
June 25th, 2010, 11:53

I hear ya Piglet!

But finish the XP-55 first! :d

Photoshop or not, don't you wish all that was coming to an airshow near you? :ernae:

Caz

Moses03
June 25th, 2010, 12:28
I had that model. Pretty cool as it had a full interior. Same with the Flying Sub (yellow) from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. The sad thing is the Flying Sub has those stupid huge tires on it. What an awesome shape the rest of it is.....

Bill

Same here Bill. I think both were Aurora kits? Also built the Space 1999 ship.

Where is the Jupiter 2 from Lost In Space? Was hoping it would show up in the slideshow.

ibl19108
June 26th, 2010, 07:04

Bill

The Firefly was built in full scale (258 feet long), flight deck, crew qtrs, engine room and cargo hold scenes were filmed inside the FS mockup.

Bjoern
June 26th, 2010, 09:06
The Firefly was built in full scale (258 feet long), flight deck, crew qtrs, engine room and cargo hold scenes were filmed inside the FS mockup.

I think it even was one single model as in the beginning of "Serenity" there isn't a single cut when Mal walks from the engine room to the bridge.

Dain Arns
June 26th, 2010, 11:06
Same here Bill. I think both were Aurora kits? Also built the Space 1999 ship.

Where is the Jupiter 2 from Lost In Space? Was hoping it would show up in the slideshow.

Moebius Models has re-created those kits from the original Aurora models, and they are available now again.
The original molds were all lost in the mid-70's during a train accident.
Also re-created and available now, is the extremely rare "Moonbus" from 2001:

http://moebiusmodels.com/moonbus.php

The detailing is fantastic.
Full interior, with removable roof for viewing. 5 figures as well.

Bill, the huge wheels on the Flying Sub are the beaching gear.
A little known, and little used, feature on the sub.

Piglet
June 26th, 2010, 19:17
One of my Orion refs was the old Aurora 1/144 scale kit. This is what I scaled my FSX release by.
Also the New BSG series Vipers finally came out. After what, 5 seasons on the air?

Brian_Gladden
June 27th, 2010, 03:29
I think it even was one single model as in the beginning of "Serenity" there isn't a single cut when Mal walks from the engine room to the bridge.

It was built as two continuous sets. built side by side. One for the upper deck (Bridge, foredeck crew quarters, galley, aft hall and engine room) and the lower deck (Cargo bay, infirmary, common room and the passenger dorms) It was done this way in both the TV show and the movie.

The problem was after Firefly was canceled, the sets were destroyed. For Serenity, Joss had a much bigger budget so the new sets were slightly larger and had all the cool stuff like hydraulicrams to shake the whole set to simulate turbulence.

The special edition Serenity DVD set has a cool walk through of the sets hosted by Joss and Nathan.

If you want some cool stuff. Quantum Mechanix http://www.quantummechanix.com/HOME.html has a studio quality model of Serenity ($2,500) that lights up and everything. for the more budget minded there's the Serenity Blueprints (I have a set) that is really nice.

My next purchase from them is going to be the Serenity Keychain

Brian

Moses03
June 27th, 2010, 10:25
Moebius Models has re-created those kits from the original Aurora models, and they are available now again.
The original molds were all lost in the mid-70's during a train accident.
Also re-created and available now, is the extremely rare "Moonbus" from 2001:

http://moebiusmodels.com/moonbus.php

The detailing is fantastic.
Full interior, with removable roof for viewing. 5 figures as well.

Thanks for the info and link Dain. Good stuff!

Interesting about the beaching gear on the Flying Sub. Can't recall seeing that in any of the episodes.

Lionheart
June 27th, 2010, 17:37
Thanks Brian for the info on Serenity.

Note... No Jupiter 2. arrgh.. (Classic saucer from the earlier 'Lost in Space' series).