PDA

View Full Version : iPhone OS4 Released!

Lionheart
June 21st, 2010, 16:41
WOOO HOOOO!

Launched 3 days ahead of time.

iOS-4 (officially renamed from iPhone OS to iOS since it manages multiple platforms now based on the iPod series), is now ready for download.

This now includes multi-tasking, folder making, ability to make playlists 'on the iPhone' instead of a computer, video focusing during shooting, 5X zoom, and tons of other goodies and new capabilities.

Bill

Wittpilot
June 21st, 2010, 16:47
Seems like this update will benefit you more if you have the 3GS... My wife downloaded it today, and she has been fooling with it since. No multi-tasking... Supposedly I'm getting the new iPhone 4 for father's day. I like the fact it takes hi-def video in 720p !

Lionheart
June 21st, 2010, 17:19
Hey Witt,

Dang, sorry to hear that on the 3G. I thought I read that 3G will have multi-tasking. Great to hear you will be getting the 4G. Man, I would sure like to get that as well. Super thin with a glass back panel, optional full white. I saw the video on the creation of the new 4G. The glass is called Alumisulfate and has a high tensil strength, but yet it can bend before shattering. Probably something like GM auto side window glass.

I just tried to sync the iPad to get the new update. It says iPad OS is up to date. arrgh... iPhone update only.

Bill

Lionheart
June 21st, 2010, 19:13
Ok, this is a dream come true. I am typing this out on my iPhone via my bluetooth wireless keyboard, lololol... This almost makes the iPhone a Laptop!!!! lolol.. Awesome.

Witt, did you find out how to turn off the background running programs? If not, simply bring up the lower multi-task running programs (double click home button quickly), then hold your finger on one of the programs momentarily until some red off buttons appear on the top left corners of the icons. Then just tap away until all the ones you dont want running are gone.

I have my dang iPhone apps all totally organized now into folders.

I love that dual Walpaper system. That is rad... Comes with new iPhone 4G wallpaper options as well. I wanted to make my main Home page screen on it to be nearly blank. Just 4 icons on it presently, then my most importants on the next page, then 2 pages of nothing but folders... I still have several nearly empty pages after that.

Did you see how on Safari, you click the Plus button and you can send a link icon of that webpage to your Homescreen?

I am impressed... Pretty cool.

Oh, and I checked out the new Camera controls. Zoom is actual. Not just cutting the screen edges down, but increases the area. Apps I have purchased that did that, only clipped the edges away instead of actually zooming. Nice option also on the video to have it tappable/focused so that you can zoom only on area's you want to be in focus.

Bill

Chacha
June 21st, 2010, 19:44
My iPhone is only a 3G...
So multi-tasking is NOT available on mine....
='(

Lionheart
June 21st, 2010, 20:13
I swear I had seen this being available with 3G version 2 phones.

arrgh...

I know they need a certain chip for the performance to run it. I am sorry Eli and Witt.

Well, the good news is, if your contract expires anytime this year, you are eligible for renewing your phone to 4G ahead of contract expiration date. I think its $200 for the 16Gig, $300 for the 32 Gig.

Bill

Chacha
June 21st, 2010, 20:34
Multi Tasking ... NOT
Double Tapping ... NOT
Home Screen Wallpaper .... NOT
Blue Tooth Keyboard .... NOT
Lock Screen ... NOT

:(

... My 4G is arriving on the 14th....

Lionheart
June 21st, 2010, 20:48
... My 4G is arriving on the 14th....

ARRRGH!!!!

You have to do a write up on it, complete with photos....

arrgh.....

argh..

Chacha
June 21st, 2010, 21:00
ARRRGH!!!!

You have to do a write up on it, complete with photos....

arrgh.....

argh..

I will bring it here on SOH ...
I am so ready for SHOW and TELL...
Document ... each and every angle of it...
LOL....

wombat666
June 21st, 2010, 22:56
I remain firmly welded to my/our Sat phone.
Period.
:cool:

Wing_Z
June 22nd, 2010, 00:08
Ehh? Wassat? Can't hear you :d

To make use of these gadgets, you have to Think Gadget.
Here's an example:
You want your wife to stop in at the Tractor Spares Shop and bring home a gudgeon splitpin key, since it's on her way home.
Normally this is not a transaction that would take place easily, if at all...
You take a photo of said broken object with your iPhone 3GS, attach it to an MMS message to the wife, and she shows it to the guy at the TSS.
He immediately knows it's a 1942 model, not the later '46, gets it from the cellar, and it's on the vintage tractor by teatime.
Cool, eh?

d0mokun
June 22nd, 2010, 04:58
I thought it launched on the day set out by Apple. At least it did here in the UK.

Grabbed the update as soon as I could for my 3GS and to be honest, whilst the new shiny look is well- new and shiny- it's still the same 'thing' in my view.

I really don't get why the wallpaper stuff is being touted (not here, I mean by Apfel sites) as some awesome new invention. Without doubt it's great that we mere iPhone users can now set wallpapers, but to think it is a new or inspirational thing is just crazy.

One thing I noticed about multitasking is that it seems to be less multitasking, more just a quick launch panel that saves history of previously-run apps. For example, I load Facebook. I then go to the MT panel and run Mail. I read a mail, tap it to go back to Facebook and bam.. I'm on the opening page again. I press Mail and it takes me back to the Mail Inbox overview- not the mail I had open.

Whether or not it's because it's a new feature and it'll take time for devs to work it into their apps, I don't know. What I do know is that it's not quite multitasking as I had on, for examples sake, my old Blackberry 8320. When you switched between apps on that it would take you to the exact point that you left it. Alright so it frequently ran out of RAM, but that's a minor point.

I may also be dreaming but I think battery life is improved. I don't know how, but it's a welcome thing if it is the case.

iPad iOS4 isn't out for another while yet Bill -> http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/iphone-os-4-not-coming-to-the-ipad-until-the-fall/

Bottom line is. I love my iPhone. There are units that do similar things and units that do other things better, but for all I want- the iPhone is best. I just don't 'get' why everything Apple does is seen as revolutionary or new, though.

Now maybe one day I'll be able to set a custom SMS tone... LOL. I remember the days with my old Ericsson, programming in midi note by note..

Dan

Kiwikat
June 22nd, 2010, 05:06
I just don't 'get' why everything Apple does is seen as revolutionary or new, though.

Because it is Apple! And Steve Jobs is a deity! :salute:

Honestly I don't see any difference on my iPawd Touche. In fact it seems to run a little slower now. The control responses like when I click on an icon aren't as snappy as they were before. I got a fancy wallpaper though! That was totally worth the wait...?

Lionheart
June 23rd, 2010, 06:04
Ok... Now I see that iPad also has the dual Wallpaper option like iOS4. You can set different backgrounds to your Lock screen and to your regular 'running' background screen. Very nice.

My mothers and brothers 3G phones do not do this with the update, nor do they have bluetooth for a keyboard, nor multi-tasking. So you all were right about that. I read it wrong. My oops.

The one thing I like, I guess from my Win98SE days and FS2000/FS2002Pro was keeping a bare minimum of programs running on windows. With Multi-tasking (I do love that feature), it does keep the programs running. I am constantly checking in on them and turning everything back off as they are left running. Only takes a sec to just turn them all off.

To take full advantage of the background wallpaper, I decided to only have 4 top App icons on the first screen, then a full page of most used Apps on second, then 1.5 pages of FOLDERS!!!!! lolol... Being the App addict I am, I was nearly full to the limit for Apps. Now I have many pages left over to once again fill....

It would be fun to learn to write Apps for iOS. That is my next goal. With the animations and resources built into the scripts, it should make things easy. I love how things flip around and animate. One of the things I like about Apples programs.

Chacha
June 23rd, 2010, 06:37
I am enjoying the upgrade.....
I love the Utilities- ,
where I can group my Apps according to use...
The Camera Zoom is pretty cool.....
And the video ON it...
There are more into the updates
that I have not explored...
I am LOVING it...

CrazyPants
June 23rd, 2010, 08:56
Lionheart, I have no intention of being obnoxious in pointing out errors, but the new Iphone is the Iphone "4", not "4G." The reason I bring this up is because I too thought it was 4G and was toes over the line to upgrade from my 3G, but AT&T's 4G network won't be commercially available until 2011.

Wing_Z
June 23rd, 2010, 17:25
I have a Photobucket app which allows seamless browsing and up/downloads with the iPhone.
So of course my lock screen got a new, flightsim-based wallpaper:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/CHARL_photos/Flightsim%202/Spit7Large.jpg
Nice to drop all those bits into a tidy folder...
But I see my existing photos won't display landscape??

Lionheart
June 23rd, 2010, 23:05
Eli,

Check this out...

-ixIHyEPO5g

Watch before you buy.

Bill

Lionheart
June 23rd, 2010, 23:22
Lionheart, I have no intention of being obnoxious in pointing out errors, but the new Iphone is the Iphone "4", not "4G." The reason I bring this up is because I too thought it was 4G and was toes over the line to upgrade from my 3G, but AT&T's 4G network won't be commercially available until 2011.

Hey CP,

Yep. Thanks for that. It actually does stand for 4G, but the network isnt here yet. The phone does indeed have 4G systems in it, at least thats what Steve said during its introduction at the WWDC. And yep, it is also a 4th generation phone as well.

ATT just cant keep up... arrgh. Last year, the 3GS came out with Tethering, which ATT wouldnt give Americans.

Bill

Skittles
June 24th, 2010, 07:39

Bill

It always irritates me when cell phone manufacturers do that - pay too little attention to the signal receiving qualities of the phone.

My old K800i used to do it (have poor signal) and my current LG viewty isn't brilliant, although it's better than the K800. I've always thought the iphone range had excellent signal reception but this video casts doubts about the new antenna arragement!

As smart phones get more and more advanced and can do more and more I think the makers need to bear in mind that these devices are primarily mobile phones, and should treat them as such.

Cratermaker
June 24th, 2010, 08:03
Many users are reporting that it happens when you bridge the BOTTOM and the left side with your hand or even a key. You can see the bottom is touching his palm in the video. Poor design! Yikes. Apparently, if you call apple, they are recommending that you buy there bump case. And people are reporting that the use of a case makes it a non-issue, but once again: poor design. Hopefully, it is actually a manufacturing flaw that has been already taken care of.

Skittles
June 24th, 2010, 08:05
This report illustrates that it's not a problem associated with only a certain batch of units, it seems like a complete design flaw.

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-loses-reception-when-you-hold-it-by-the-antenna-band

How on earth did that get through testing?

The article makes a good point that this is the first phone for which Apple are releasing a first party rubber case straight away...there's no way that they didn't know about this.

When something like this happens I always think about that old quote from a pilot;

"Never fly the 'A' model of anything."

Cratermaker
June 24th, 2010, 08:22
Early adopters do often get burned with new tech or even new products. That's why I waited months for win 7, to make sure it was all clear. I've seen too many MS products with glowing reports in beta that turned out to be a turkey, at least initially. But this sort of thing happens entirely too often these days whether it be cars, phones, OSeseseses... ummm..., or just about anything.

Lionheart
June 24th, 2010, 09:43
Thats a bummer....

In the WWDC show, Steve explains that the outer section is a series of antennaes, that is why they are seperated by thin gaps, two at the bottom and one near the top side. They show in a video how the antennaes look outside of the unit (before assembly).

I guess I'll hold off... arrgh...

Bill