PDA

View Full Version : Most Unusual Default FSX Airport I've Seen.

FAC257
June 21st, 2010, 13:27
You run into VORs & Towers in the middle of the runways once in a while, but this is about as odd as I've ever seen. Ran into it while doing forward recon for my pontoon adventure.

Newcastle Westpac Base (YXFV), New South Wales.

Not only is the beacon in the runway, but the runway numbers are on top of each other and the runway is longer than the airport flatten. When you reach the runway at the edge of the flatten your aircraft will decend under the runway. If you do manage to take off there are nice high rise buildings at each end. The runway at one end goes under the buildings.

Very bazaar! :)

FAC

cheezyflier
June 21st, 2010, 13:40
Very bazaar!

yes, i agree. it is bizzare. certainly unusual

Daube
June 21st, 2010, 13:49
yes, i agree. it is bizzare. certainly unusual

Aaaargh and now I have the music stuck in my mind.
I hate you. :blind:

"... how bizarre, how bizarre..."
:isadizzy:

Dexdoggy
June 21st, 2010, 15:48
I'm sure something is up; this in real life is a helicopter base, no runway, just pads. I have the Orbx FTX-AI add-on and OZx adds and from memory it is fixed with these add-ons!

FAC257
June 21st, 2010, 16:10
Out of curiosity I went looking for more info on the actual airport, which turned up some videos of the rescue choppers flying into the base.

I have no doubt that the Oz folks would have this one straightened out.

It was just a surprise when I used the "Go-To Airport" feature looking for nearby water and there was a rotating beacon filling the windscreen. This one would make for some pretty hairy night landings. :)

FAC

n4gix
June 22nd, 2010, 10:11
The problem is that FSX has a minimum runway length when drawing runways...

...coupled with the automatic method ACES used to create the default airports from raw information, and that there are >24k runways...

...no one had time to check every single one for accuracy! :wiggle:

cheezyflier
June 22nd, 2010, 12:57
Aaaargh and now I have the music stuck in my mind.
I hate you. :blind:

"... how bizarre, how bizarre..."
:isadizzy:

oGUMsxVt4YU

Daube
June 22nd, 2010, 15:02
Yup, that's the one :d

anthony31
June 22nd, 2010, 18:33
Generally speaking any YX?? airport in Australia is going to be a medical helipad or other helipad (there are always exceptions to this rule though but not in the case of Newcastle).

kdl
June 23rd, 2010, 04:35
There is a file at flightsim, to correct some FSX errors:

Name: errors_in_flight_sim_x_fixed.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=147321) Size: 2,178,767 Date: 06-19-2010 Downloads: 960
http://www.flightsim.com/p/errors_in_flight_sim_x_fixed.gif FSX Scenery Errors Fixed

Greetings
Dieter

FAC257
June 23rd, 2010, 12:18
Generally speaking any YX?? airport in Australia is going to be a medical helipad or other helipad (there are always exceptions to this rule though but not in the case of Newcastle).

I never realized that.That's pretty interesting.

Makes me wonder if other regions use certain airport code combos to designate special uses.

Thanks
FAC