PDA

View Full Version : PETER SPODEN

Helldiver
June 21st, 2010, 12:56
Peter Spoden wrote a book about his adventures in the Luftwaffe flying Night Fighters, called "Enemy In The Dark"
Amazon has it used for $164 bucks which is about $150 more than I can afford. I've tried the local libraries and they made a search in libraries across the country with no results.
In it he writes about Rudi Thun, Commander of NJG 9. Rudi and I became friends when he was a Vice President of Raytheon.
If any body knows where I can borrow it, it would be much appreciated. I would be glad to pay for the postage.
The book would be treated with the utmost in care and would be returned in a week.

Stan V.
June 21st, 2010, 13:45
Peter Spoden wrote a book about his adventures in the Luftwaffe flying Night Fighters, called "Enemy In The Dark"
Amazon has it used for $164 bucks which is about $150 more than I can afford. I've tried the local libraries and they made a search in libraries across the country with no results.
In it he writes about Rudi Thun, Commander of NJG 9. Rudi and I became friends when he was a Vice President of Raytheon.
If any body knows where I can borrow it, it would be much appreciated. I would be glad to pay for the postage.
The book would be treated with the utmost in care and would be returned in a week.

abebooks.com has a copy for $96 and some change or if you could read German, its available from the same source in German for $33+

Stan V.

dswo
June 21st, 2010, 14:32
The only library that seems to own this book is Waipa District in New Zealand! Quick, Helldiver: get in your time machine and fast-forward to 2015, when everything is accessible/purchasable/rentable through Google Books!

Mathias
June 21st, 2010, 20:57
Helldiver, I own the book, but I can't find it right now.
It looks as if it's still in a box down in the cellar after my housemove last December.
However, I can't recall that Spoden really talked about Rudi to any larger extend.
IIRC he is only mentioned in a photo caption and in on or two sentences somewhere else in the text.
I don't think this title will give you a lot of meat if you are primary looking for information on Rudi Thun.

Oh, and 164 bucks sounds like robbery.

Deano
June 21st, 2010, 22:24
I have it personally signed by Peter spoden also with a signed sketch of his aircraft, I havent dare open the pages, a real nice chap to talk to also.

A few years back I sponsored for a US Navigator to come over from the US to the UK to a forum which was in Bletchley Park and he also gave speeches across the UK, a really nice chap too, B17 Sam.

The book was published by www.cerberus-publishing.com the website now looks redundant.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781841450322/Enemy-in-the-Dark £8.99

ISBN 13: 9781841450322
ISBN 10: 1841450324

Helldiver
June 22nd, 2010, 10:10
Thanks Deano, Mucho gracias.
$15 bucks is well within my reach for this prize.
You know, it makes no difference what kind of problem you have, try your mates at SOH and you'll find a cure. - You can't beat it.

Now about this rash I have on my butt...

nio
June 22nd, 2010, 13:07
I could recommend you some good cream for that and I am confident it too will come in at less than $15 bucks!

You are right about the people here ,very knowledgeable and very willing to offer help or information.

best

nio

Deano
June 22nd, 2010, 14:11
Thanks Deano, Mucho gracias.
$15 bucks is well within my reach for this prize.
You know, it makes no difference what kind of problem you have, try your mates at SOH and you'll find a cure. - You can't beat it.

Now about this rash I have on my butt...

dock leaves and tooth paste..It isnt a nettle sting is it?

Helldiver
June 23rd, 2010, 06:58
Wot's "Dock Leaves?"

Lewis-A2A
June 23rd, 2010, 07:18
Wot's "Dock Leaves?"

Whaaaaa!

Do yankees not have the myth/story/truth/magic of the dot/dok/dock leafs?

A large leaf that when rubbed over a nettle sting will ease any pain. A young boys best friend :ernae:

jetstreamsky
June 23rd, 2010, 10:12
Well there's no nettles in the Canadian part of the world, at least where I am, so they come as quite a surprise to visitors to England too. :redfire:

Helldiver
June 23rd, 2010, 11:27
No Nettles or Dock leaves here in the U.S. Must be indiginous to Great Britain, like Bangers and Mash.

spotlope
June 23rd, 2010, 13:20
Speak for yourselves on the nettles! We've got 'em in our front yard here in the Pac. NW, and I hate those ******. Seems that no leather glove is thick enough to keep them from poking through and stinging.

Deano
June 23rd, 2010, 13:23
No Nettles or Dock leaves here in the U.S. Must be indiginous to Great Britain, like Bangers and Mash. and onion gravy

Helldiver
June 23rd, 2010, 13:49
As I said, no nettles back here in America.

jetstreamsky
June 23rd, 2010, 14:01
Yep, take your dock leaf, spit on it and rub the affected area for instant relief.

http://www.google.ca/images?q=Dock+Leaves&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=tYIiTJaqIYKClAe02vS3BQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQsAQwAA

Apparently for improved effect, chew the dock leaf first mixing in your saliva with the antihistamine from the leaf and apply.

Deano
June 23rd, 2010, 14:07
Yep, take your dock leaf, spit on it and rub the affected area for instant relief.

http://www.google.ca/images?q=Dock+Leaves&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=tYIiTJaqIYKClAe02vS3BQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQsAQwAA

Apparently for improved effect, chew the dock leaf first mixing in your saliva with the antihistamine from the leaf and apply.

After chewing on that you'd be ****ting through an eye of a needle :$

Helldiver
June 24th, 2010, 04:20
Curious, I had to look up Rumex obtusifolius, or Dock leaves and found out it's a weed common in the UK. It's supposed to be chock full of oxalic acid which is supposed to sooth nettle stings, Since we don't have nettles, we have no use for the Dock plant. We'll just have to do wth our Dandelions.

nio
June 24th, 2010, 06:32
Mother Nature smiled upon those suffering from nettle stings.She arranged for dockplants and nettles to often grow close together.

best

nio