PDA

View Full Version : First solo, who needs an engine?

idancesafetydance
June 19th, 2010, 17:29
They are for wimps. Friday the 18th at 8:30 AM, I climbed into the cockpit of a Schweizer SGS 2-33A Glider at Coles County airport (KMTO) in Mattoon Illinois for a final check with my instructor. He then got out, claiming he ,"was too afraid to fly with me" and walked away, leaving me looking down the runway with a towplane chugging away upfront. Takeoff went smoothly, and, not to boast, but was as good if not better than some of the instructor's takeoffs. I released at 1000 ft AGL (above ground level) and turned into the pattern. My god, did that thing handle nicely with no 200 pound dead weight instructor in the back. Landing was beautiful, I was a bit high, so I made a beautiful slip that practically had the body perpendicular to the runway. I leveled out, brought in the dive-brakes at just the right time when I flared. And boom, the smoothest landing on grass you have ever seen, I even balanced it on the center wheel and rolled it right up to where the gliders are launched. Then game 3 guys with Ice water buckets, and scissors. All in all, it was a great experience and I'm off to get my gliding license.
Pics and video soon.
-Chuck-

jmig
June 19th, 2010, 19:15
OUTSTANDING!!! :salute: :salute: :salute:

Way to go! Congratulations! Nice description of the flight.

rpjkw
June 20th, 2010, 05:55
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!:salute::salute::salute::jum p::jump:

Wonderful description. It brings back memories of 46 years ago in a Schweizer 2-32. I noted the scissors, so I hope you didn't wear a new shirt.

Welcome to a special Fraternity.

Bob

TomSteber
June 20th, 2010, 06:30
Congrats!!! Job well done. That must really be a feeling to have done it alone for the first time.

luckydog
June 20th, 2010, 09:22
:applause::applause::applause:

cheezyflier
June 20th, 2010, 10:17
WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!! good for you!!!!:applause:

dominique
June 20th, 2010, 11:21
Congrats :applause: !

Awesome story ! How was the weather ?

idancesafetydance
June 20th, 2010, 12:09
Thanks guys.

BTW, the weather was HOT, HUMID, and stormy the whole week of the flight school. We even had a few tornadoes. But by the grace of god, the weather for my solo was cool, calm, with smooth air.

txnetcop
June 20th, 2010, 12:17
Congrats on quite an accomplishment. I have never flown in a glider but have had an aircraft become one...BRAVO!
Ted

n4gix
June 21st, 2010, 07:15
I noted the scissors, so I hope you didn't wear a new shirt.

If you don't wear a shirt, I wonder what else might get cut off? :jump:

idancesafetydance
June 21st, 2010, 09:20
If you don't wear a shirt, I wonder what else might get cut off? :jump:

Oh GOD