View Full Version : Storm of War Updates

KOM.Nausicaa
June 18th, 2010, 12:03
Some very nice Storm of War updates coming in:

more in this thread :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=32407

gigabyte
June 18th, 2010, 12:56
Nice shots, looks amazing, not too sure about the parking skills of the pilot in the 3rd pic, but then again it does look like it was a "walk away from it" landing...

Lewis-A2A
June 18th, 2010, 13:47
It looks totally stunning but i'm still not convinced of the ground, it simply doesnt look like England at the moment. Though Oleg has said hes working on the palette, I really hope he will go all out on it and get those dark/brown greens in there, atm it looks too washed out.

Bjoern
June 18th, 2010, 14:02
The landscape makes you want to leave your plane and just wander around...

Gdavis101
June 18th, 2010, 15:13
Oh man! Can't wait! :salute:

KOM.Nausicaa
June 18th, 2010, 15:33
The landscape makes you want to leave your plane and just wander around...

You can...some vehicles are drivable :d

Cloud9Gal
June 18th, 2010, 15:50

Hey Naus! I want that car! :d

Bjoern
June 19th, 2010, 10:51

*Gasp* :eek:

As good as sold!

stiz
June 19th, 2010, 13:37
...but what does it look like from 20k feet where you'll be doing most of the fighting ....

KOM.Nausicaa
June 19th, 2010, 13:49
...but what does it look like from 20k feet where you'll be doing most of the fighting ....

Awesome ! :d

KOM.Nausicaa
June 19th, 2010, 13:57
SoW has some all new features for a combat sim -- this is only a very basic overview, there is a lot more:

1) never seen before realtime weather calculations with moving air layers realtime, thermic layers, windgusts etc. You'll never know how the weather will be when returning home !

2) revolutionary AI, with limited vision according to actual shape of the cockpit. AI "learns" the longer the unit stays alive, AI can be "frightened", "tired" etc.

3) civil traffic in towns and cities

4) realtime calculation of paintlayers (skins) -- paint will wear down realtime as you fly, are in combat etc

5) usable AA guns, drivable cars etc

6) transparent water, with real depths based on data (for future land and sea sim)

7) training aircraft and lessons in the sim

8) clickable cockpits for real cockpit procedures (and keyboard shortcuts optional)

9) completely new complex physics model

10) radar modelled (usable in later night war sim)

11) bullet holes / damage appears exactly where you hit

12) planes modelled internally

etc

Battle of Britain is start of the series, Med Air war follows after.

Anyway, follow the updates in the thread indicated above if you are interested.

Pips
June 19th, 2010, 17:08
It looks totally stunning but i'm still not convinced of the ground, it simply doesnt look like England at the moment. Though Oleg has said hes working on the palette, I really hope he will go all out on it and get those dark/brown greens in there, atm it looks too washed out.

I agree Lewis. It needs a lot of work. Landscapes have never been Maddox strongpoint, I guess most of the effort goes into aircraft, FM's Ai and the like. Which are done extremely well.

Bone
June 19th, 2010, 18:02
Looks amazing. Is this an IL-2/Ubisoft sim, and when is it going to be released?

KOM.Nausicaa
June 20th, 2010, 02:43
Looks amazing. Is this an IL-2/Ubisoft sim, and when is it going to be released?

It's a new sim generation form the makers of IL2. It uses however a completely new engine, meaning it's not build "upon" IL2. It took almost 5 years to build a new engine that would bring combat flying (and optional land and sea fighting) to a new level. The game "Storm of War:Battle of Britain" itself is since 2007 in the making. Release date is not fixed, but it has been several times said that october 2010 would be the aim.

Ubisoft as publisher is not confirmed. Probably better, seen their new DRM system.

stiz
June 20th, 2010, 03:47
SoW has some all new features for a combat sim*snip*

1) never seen before realtime weather calculations with moving air layers realtime, thermic layers, windgusts etc. You'll never know how the weather will be when returning home !

5) usable AA guns, drivable cars etc

7) training aircraft and lessons in the sim

8) clickable cockpits for real cockpit procedures (and keyboard shortcuts optional)

10) radar modelled (usable in later night war sim)

12) planes modelled internally

Not exactly "new features for a combat sim" as they've all been done before in one form or another :engel016:

1 - cfs2
5 - quite a few games/sims
7 - again, quite a few, bob2 WOV being one
8 - quite a few again, most complex being DCS black shark!
10 - just about every arcade game/sim ever made, even cfs1 had it!
12 - ROF has the internall plane modeled

not nit picking, just cutting through the marketing hype :engel016:

KOM.Nausicaa
June 20th, 2010, 04:53
Nooo Stiz, you are not nit picking at all. Sorry that I said all of that is "new". Maybe I should have said it's new to have all of that in one sim ?
The "marketing hype...that is funny too. What marketing hype ? There is not even a web page for this sim. I know 70% from talking to Oleg in private. And there is a lot I didn't put up in the list there, it scratches just the surface.