PDA

View Full Version : A recipe in honor of the late Jimmy Dean

OBIO
June 14th, 2010, 08:29
In honor of Jimmy Dean...a recipe using sausage:

Brick Dip

That's what Deb and I call this stuff because it is so good it will make a brick tasty. This dish is now found at EVERY family get together.

2 rolls of Jimmy Dean sausage (or Bob Evans or whatever...I like Jimmy Dean sausage better) One hot/zesty and the other regular or mild. If you want a hotter dip, you can use two rolls of hot/zesty sausage.

1 8 ounce package cream cheese

1 can RO-TELA tomatoes with diced chili peppers

Fry the sausage in a skillet, breaking it up as it is fried. Once the sausage is fully cooked, use a tater masher to really crumble it up until it is in very very small pieces.

Put the sausage into a crock pot/slow cooker. Mix in the cream cheese and tomato/chili pepper mix. Stir together until well blended. Allow to simmer for a couple hours, stirring occasionally to really make it creamy.

Once done, you can put it on toast...it's good. On mashed taters....it's good. Use Tostito or Frito Scoops and scoop it up...it's good. Put it on crackers...it's good. Heck, smear it on an old red building brick...it's good.

brad kaste
June 14th, 2010, 08:56
OBIO,....where does one find RO-TELA tomatoes in the can? Most supermarkets? Also,..what size can,...that's if it comes in different sizes?

Cazzie
June 14th, 2010, 09:21
In honor of Jimmy Dean...a recipe using sausage:

Brick Dip

That's what Deb and I call this stuff because it is so good it will make a brick tasty. This dish is now found at EVERY family get together.

2 rolls of Jimmy Dean sausage (or Bob Evans or whatever...I like Jimmy Dean sausage better) One hot/zesty and the other regular or mild. If you want a hotter dip, you can use two rolls of hot/zesty sausage.

1 8 ounce package cream cheese

1 can RO-TELA tomatoes with diced chili peppers

Fry the sausage in a skillet, breaking it up as it is fried. Once the sausage is fully cooked, use a tater masher to really crumble it up until it is in very very small pieces.

Put the sausage into a crock pot/slow cooker. Mix in the cream cheese and tomato/chili pepper mix. Stir together until well blended. Allow to simmer for a couple hours, stirring occasionally to really make it creamy.

Once done, you can put it on toast...it's good. On mashed taters....it's good. Use Tostito or Frito Scoops and scoop it up...it's good. Put it on crackers...it's good. Heck, smear it on an old red building brick...it's good.

Yummy, that do sound good. I fry my JD sausage the same way and then grit it up real good with two forks, only fixing for me. Then I mix the ground sausage with two eggs, already thoroughly stirred, then stir the mix and fried the omelet in a fry pan, cheese optional, I don't like the stuff. Cut and serve the omelet on a buttered Deli sandwich roll. Mmmmm good!

Caz

Terry
June 14th, 2010, 10:23
My favorite, but it takes awhile.

5 lbs. 80% hamburger
2 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
5 tsp. rounded, Mortons quick tender salt
2 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. hickory smoked salt
1 tbs. crushed red pepper
2 1/2 tsp. black pepper corns
Mix spices together and add gradually to the hamburger while
mixing with hands. Put mix in bowl, cover and refridgerate.
Second day, again mix and return to refridgerate.
Third day mix and shape into 1 lb. loaves. Place on lower
rack in oven. Bake 8 hours at 150F turning every 2 hours.
Cool on paper towels. Pat loaves with paper towels to remove
excess grease.

OBIO
June 14th, 2010, 11:41
OBIO,....where does one find RO-TELA tomatoes in the can? Most supermarkets? Also,..what size can,...that's if it comes in different sizes?

I guess any main line grocery store should carry Ro-Tela. It's a 10 ounce can. Diced Tomato and Chili Pepper. I suppose brand isn't important...any 10 ounce can of diced mater and chili pepper would work.

OBIO

cheezyflier
June 14th, 2010, 13:06
biscuits and gravy - food of the gods!

http://joshtom.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/biscuitsgravy-1024.jpg

of course, i would eat at least 3 times this amount