PDA

View Full Version : A Lap Around The Boat

TARPSBird
June 9th, 2010, 11:28
Here is a video one of my old F-8 Crusader driver shipmates sent me. He liked it so I figure you will too. :) Helmet-mounted camera in a T-45C Goshawk. Launch off the pointy end, around the pattern, and trap on the blunt end. One of the best carrier clips I've seen in a while.
http://vholdr.com/video/lap-around-boat

Toastmaker
June 9th, 2010, 12:12
Quite good ! Thanks !

:running:

Bjoern
June 9th, 2010, 12:14
Best carrier aviation video ever!

Wing_Z
June 9th, 2010, 13:26
Anyone watching this only once, or not rerunning bits of it...well I don't know.
Many thanks for the link.
:salute::applause::salute:

Lionheart
June 9th, 2010, 13:26
Now THAT is BRILLIANT!

Thanks for posting this. That is just too cool...

Bill

exc141ac
June 12th, 2010, 08:45
I enjoyed that.
Wish the camera had been a tad lower.
The trap is pretty . . . attention getting.

Thnx.

TARPSBird
June 12th, 2010, 11:27
I wondered about how much effect the helmet cam's focal length had on the viewer's perception of distance. When I do carrier ops in flight sim I always feel like I end up too far away when I am abeam the ship, but the helmet cam's view looked a lot like my screen view when I look off to my left. On the other hand, the view of the flight deck before launch made the CV's deck look absolutely gigantic. Now if I can get my landing approaches to go that smoothly I'll be real happy. :d

TomSteber
June 13th, 2010, 08:17
Freakin Awesome!!!!

Man, when he looks over at the boat when he's entering his downwind, that's when you go, "I gotta land on that!?"

jmig
June 13th, 2010, 09:35
Loved it! Awesome video! I agree Tom. when he keep checking his position, it was really real.

PRB
June 13th, 2010, 09:57
That was awesome. Notice how the ship is generating almost no wake at all? This was one of the things that I remembered about flight ops, probably because it was unexpected. I assumed the ship always steamed full speed into the wind during flight ops, and that isn't always so. They just make enough speed to generate the required wind over the deck, and if it's already windy out, that may not be very much speed at all. Good stuff.

TARPSBird
June 13th, 2010, 10:33
I've been away from real-world carrier aviation for so long, the vid was a nice refresher. I am still in awe of the tailhook aviators and aircrewmen who do it for a living. Same for the deck crews who dance that dangerous "flight deck ballet" during launch and recovery.

aeromed202
June 13th, 2010, 12:26
Where has this video been hiding??!! I got into FS via a huge interest in naval aviation and I've never found anything quite this good. My bar just went up a tad. Thanks loads.

Now if only FS water looked like that...

Whitehawk
June 13th, 2010, 20:11
Wow brilliant vid makes me want to jump back into FS!