PDA

View Full Version : The world's first man-made bacteria

tigisfat
June 7th, 2010, 11:17
I am now putting on my tinfoil hat. I don't even wanna know what <TEXT>t̒ͤ̌̑́҉͍̫̗ĥ̨͕͓̯̹̲̀ͩ̓i̸̗͚͉͈̥s̗̞̆ͬͤ͑̓̆̈́</TEXT>
could lead to in the wrong hands.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2010-05-21-genome21_ST_N.htm?csp=obinsite

or, if you don't wanna see the pics:

Genome researchers Thursday unveiled the first bacteria strain with a man-made collection of <TEXT>g̺̫ͧ̊͛ẻ̼̙̗̙̑͂͠n̩̘̜͉̙̺̪̓̒͡e̗̞ͤs͈̯̪ͫͯ̌ͦ̐̐ͅ</TEXT>
The long-anticipated advance, reported in the journal Science, is a $40 million milestone in the nascent field of "synthetic biology" and points towards a future of designer microbes manufacturing fuels, chemicals and materials.
"This is the first self-replicating cell we've had on the planet whose parent is a computer," says team chief Craig Venter (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Business,+Science+and+Technology+Figures/J.+Craig+Venter) of the J. Craig Venter Institute in Rockville, Md., who called the bacteria "the world's first synthetic cell." Venter is best known for his leadership of private human genome mapping efforts in the last decade, but he has since become a leading figure in synthetic biology, with his team producing a series of advances over the past 15 years.
In this latest study, the team designed a non-infectious gene map for Mycoplasma mycoides bacteria, ordered the map's chemical constituents and assembled those chemicals into a gene chromosome inside yeast cells. Finally, they transplanted the genome into a different species of bacteria, "and booted it up," Venter says, noting "a lot of failed attempts" preceded the success.
The altered bacteria reproduced as blue colonies of mycoides cells (now held in a freezer and awaiting a museum), containing gene "watermark" codes contained only in the synthetic genome.

"This represents an important step in our ability to engineer organisms," says Howard Hughes (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Howard+Hughes) Medical Institutes genome researcher Jim Collins of Boston University (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Schools/Boston+University), who was not on the study team. The results represent a "methodological tour-de-force," he adds. "Certainly the yeast step they have developed should be repeatable. We should be able to do things in other bacteria to reprogram them," leading to microbes producing materials for manufacturing.
In a briefing, the team noted it has asked for bioethics and safety reviews of synthetic biology research. Venter says the team approached the Bush Administration for permission to openly publish past research in this area out of bioterrorism safety concerns.
"It would be possible for someone to synthesize a pathogen (<TEXT>ḏ̬̙̟̘̪̘͊̀ȃ͓͚̮̼̜͓̘̾͌͆̐͋̂n̳̬̫͖̮͍̱͂ͬ͟g̩͍̦͎̓̒̊̅̃̇̄eͦ ̟̼̰̼̻̬̆̈̌̍͛r̷̼͚̳̖̺̿̌ͯ̈́ͯ͆ȍ̯̞̩̞̰͙̌̑̉̉ͣ͡u̟̺̦̲̳̗sͫ́̽ͭ ̢͉͔̱̝̈ ̥͔ͧ̓ͥ̅ͅm̻͔̲͉̦͈iͪ̇҉̻͕̤̙c̨͈̠̤̜̭̥̲͋͆̉ͮ̔r̼̥̪̼͎͇̥̔͗ͬ̀̓o ͫ͂҉̟̭b͉̺̓ͮ̂̊͞ȇ̠͙̺ͧ͋ͪ̆̂͟</TEXT>
) in a new way this way," says Robert Friedman of the Venter Institute. But he says federal officials have undertaken rule-making procedures to police the ordering of the chemicals needed to synthesize genomes, as they do biologists ordering dangerous microbes. The team eliminated 14 genes from their synthetic genome that allow the mycoides bacteria to infect goats.
Technology assessment expert David Rejeski of the Woodrow Wilson (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Historical+Figures/Woodrow+Wilson) Center for International Scholars in Washington D.C., says the public knows little about synthetic biology and the study announcement may bring added concern. "If anything positive comes out of the (Gulf of Mexico) oil spill, it is that nobody is going to believe in 'failsafe' technologies for a long time, and that will apply to scientists tinkering with biology as well," he says.
The study team has taken patents on the synthetic genome process, Venter adds, and hopes to repeat its success in algae as a step to producing chemicals from engineered microbes. "This is not life from scratch," Venter says. "We are taking advantage of 3 billion years of evolution to transplant a <TEXT>g͖͙̦͙̣̓̑̍e̋̋͐̕҉̤n̢̙͇̪̙̤̗͑͆̍ͅo̺̟ͤͨ̈̊ͪ̀ͫ̚̚m̴̡͙̥̹̽̎̉͡ ̬̳ȅ̼̻̞̏̎ͣ̏̽ ̺ͫ̈́ͪ̉ͭ̇̈́ͬi͉͓͍̙̮̟͛ͨͭ̒̃͊n̥̜̘̪̝̘̮̂̿̑͐͆ͣ̚͘͘t̩̦͕̑̋̋ͤ̉̉̅ ̝ͅͅọ̳̪ͤ̂ͮ̿͐̓ͩ̃ ͎̜̬͎̙̪̗̝̮͛̑̊̊͂ͮ͊̈́͟a̙̼̐͗ͮͬ̍͞ ̶̖̼̬̖͙͍̮͋ͣ̿̍ͮ́̾͊ͅc̰̠̹͌ͤͬ͟ȇ̵̛͍̃ͩ̎͂͢l̛͚̱̼͈̍ͥ̉̆ͩͭ̄ͣ͡ ̫l̨̿͛̀̔̐҉̲̦̘̜͓̤̹͇̳</TEXT>
."

Willy
June 7th, 2010, 11:21
Just because we can do a thing, doesn't mean we should.

Bjoern
June 7th, 2010, 11:31
Soon...

As for the article, I say: Why the heck not?

Matt Wynn
June 7th, 2010, 11:49
here's hoping i always wanted a pet Velociraptor :icon_lol:

tigisfat
June 7th, 2010, 11:53
Just because we can do a thing, doesn't mean we should.

Like nukes, cloning....so on. Who knows where this will lead us, but the possibility for movie-level creepiness seems more than ever to me. What if some microbe-terrorist made an airborne zombie virus? We'd be screwed.

Matt Wynn
June 7th, 2010, 11:55
Like nukes, cloning....so on. Who knows where this will lead us, but the possibility for movie-level creepiness seems more than ever to me. What if some microbe-terrorist made an airborne zombie virus? We'd be screwed.

i work somewhere with an armoury and i have an NBC suit, so sorry if i shoot you should that happen... i'm nobodys lunch! :icon_lol:

tigisfat
June 7th, 2010, 12:07
i work somewhere with an armoury and i have an NBC suit, so sorry if i shoot you should that happen... i'm nobodys lunch! :icon_lol:

Those suits won't help with much, unfortunately, if you're talking about the kind the US and UK military have.

cheezyflier
June 7th, 2010, 12:44
skynet is coming soon

Bjoern
June 7th, 2010, 13:02

I'll just make my way to the nearest armor depot and get me a tank with a NBC filter. Problem solved. Those Zombies *have* to starve eventually!

Wing_Z
June 7th, 2010, 14:08
Something happened in that post...you think he's been eaten? :d

tigisfat
June 7th, 2010, 15:26
Something happened in that post...you think he's been eaten? :d

I don't see the boxes when I look at it the OP. :mixedsmi:

tigisfat
June 7th, 2010, 15:27
skynet is coming soon

<TEXT>What͘'s͡ ͠th͟at?</TEXT>

Bjoern
June 8th, 2010, 10:53
<text>What͘'s͡ ͠th͟at?</text>

One of a brazillion evil AIs (science) fiction has ever generated.

But I guess your question was at least ironic anyways. :d

Snuffy
June 8th, 2010, 11:52
Minor technicality in your title.

It was already living, all they did was mutate it ... they created nothing from scratch.

Piglet
June 8th, 2010, 18:58
Killer Nuclear Piglets here we come!!
(Riding our 15 foot guinea-pigs)
Stynet?!?!