PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a better .cfg & airfile for the AlphaSim B-24's

Boatz
June 5th, 2010, 18:44
I know there's some out there, std puts the COG at the leading edge of the wing.

peperez
June 7th, 2010, 02:57
I know there's some out there, std puts the COG at the leading edge of the wing.

I'll give it a look. In my opinion, it's nose heavy...

Cheers

Pepe

Boatz
June 8th, 2010, 09:11
peperez,

The "D" airfile is defiantly the worst of the two. On takeoff (25% fuel & no ordnance) 1 notch of flaps and the tail becomes airborne before the rest of the AC, rather strange looking going down the runway on the nose wheel only. The "J" is much better behaved but still exhibits much of the same symptoms. I experimented using the airfile from the 1% 1US_PB4Y-1 and the improvements were dramatic. All of the weirdness was gone, and the AC seems to handle much more realistic. However, I'm looking forward to any improvements/sugestions you can provide.

Boatz

braveheart77521
June 8th, 2010, 13:33
Boatz:

The problem is the panel with Alphas B_24B/J. You have to trim the nose up 2 or more notches before take-off. The panel provided does not have the trim window. Therefore, I use the panel AFM_b24D_panel. zip. It has a trim panel on the left side that you can access with your mouse. It also has and autopilot and bombsight. This can be found on page 11, Panels in the archive section of SOH. I also have a great panel for Alphasims B-17's if you need it. Besides having the autopilot, trim, bombsight, it has great visibility forward.

Keep them flying
braveheart

Oglivie
June 10th, 2010, 16:30
Boatz,

I think the prob was in section 1205 Horizontal Stabilizer (angle of) Incidence. Angle is set too high at 4, try 1 or 0. The (real) B-24D from accounts I have read was actually a tail heavy airplane.

Here is an alternate cfg and air if you would like to try.

Oglivie
June 13th, 2010, 09:49
In the B-24D air file I supplied, Section 535 can be removed if you wish. The air was set up for ferry range, but for a 4000 lb. bomb load long range only 800 gallons in section 534 would probably be used. If one drop tank is used in the DP file, both drop tanks are loaded* from the air file (1300 gallons) that may cause the CG to be too far aft since it is at -8.28 feet from CoG in the air file, or set the forward/back offset further forward in secton 535.

Also the flightsim section in the cfg may have to be edited and the air file renamed to fit in with your current ALPHA folder names.

Braveheart has a good alternate solution also, a trim gauge is a big plus. I have been using Jay McDaniel's panel from Malinowski's km_afm_b24d.zip for the B-24s, it has a cessna trim gauge in the panel.

*This I checked with a digital fuel gauge by ? (don't know where I got this gauge).