PDA

View Full Version : Poker run today

Daveroo
June 5th, 2010, 05:47
Hi all,

were doing a Poker run today as a benifit for my nephew and his middle school buddy.My nephew got sick when he was 5 years old and his immune system was compramised,he now has bergers deseise( i think its called) and his kidneys are no longer functioning..he is on dialysis 3 times a week,and is in need of a transplant.he posted about it on facebook and an old buddy of his from grammer school..he last saw him in 7th grade when pauls family moved to another town,saw Eli's(my nephews) face book,he did all the blood work ect and found out he is a match and has been approved.his and ELi's insurance will pay for the surgery,but not for time off work for Paul,,its an elective surgery,so today we are doing a poker run,my sister is hoping for people on harleys,,but has gotten more responce from the hotrod community,my dads friends...and classic cars,,im talkin packards/lincolns/caddies...from the 20s and 30s....gonna be fun....:jump:

cheezyflier
June 5th, 2010, 07:55
i hope the run turns out well. it is surprising me that you are getting a poor turn out from bikers. usually, no one is more giving to children's charities than bikers. possibly there was some glitch in getting the word out to them?

westjet
June 6th, 2010, 10:58
I belong to a online motorcycle owners group that took on a family whos 7 year old son's liver had failed and was awaiting transplant.The family had to travel 400 miles for treatments and was on the verge of losing everything due to the cost and time involved trying to get the treatment and transplant to save their sons life.We had a motorcycle rally that saw folks come from all over the world and donated a pile of money to help them out and set their finances straight.In the end all expense's were covered and after he recovered from the transplant the treasury had a $4000 left over so we decided just to give it to the parents as a gift, but they declined saying after all that was done they couldnt accept the money for themselves.We sat on the money while the young boy got his strength back and then decided that something just wasnt right.Here we are a buch of bikers helping out a family that doesnt even ride a motorcycle so... we bought the kid his own dirt bike and all the gear he would need to ride into this years rally that will be held in his hometown.
Dave I sincerely hope your efforts are as successful as our was as the feeling that you get helping those who need help is wonderful.Have a great day

HouseHobbit
June 6th, 2010, 12:17
I am Blessed to say I do Many Poker Runs each year with my Biker friends, and in the last 30+ years of riding, I cannot count the number..

No Matter what many may think or say about the Bikers. I have found them to be a Caring, indepenent, group of men and women that have always been willing to Raise money for those in need..
Never been involved with the 1% ers, But those in my circle, Are Loyal, and very independent
People..Always willing for a Good cause, to put miles on their "scooters" and if need be, empty
their gas tanks and wallets to help out..
Thank God..

Daveroo
June 6th, 2010, 17:37
as it turned out we had 35 bikes....it was on a weekend when there was two HUGE bike raleys in the local area so most of the bikers were comitted to other things...but we raised 1900.00...was good...had alot of fun..good people..no problems...saw old friends made new ones

HouseHobbit
June 6th, 2010, 19:58
BRAVO..

This is great..I am pleased all went well.
May You all be richly Blessed..

:applause::applause::applause: