PDA

View Full Version : Maskrider's Ondongo, New Georgia scenery

VF_Moo
November 14th, 2008, 07:54
i kno Maskrider did scenery for Ondonga and it was bad:censored:. I lost it when i did the hard drive reformat and now cant find it. Does anyone have a link to it?

~S~

Moo

miamieagle
November 14th, 2008, 08:52
You may find here http://www.netwings.org/library/Microsoft_CFS2/Maskrider_Scenery/ or maybe here http://www.combatfs.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Chris%20Westervelt

MaskRider
November 14th, 2008, 11:13
Actually the Ondonga scenery is much newer than anything available at NetWings. I have never released it as a full tilt public offering. But I do have a zip of the most up to date MR Solomons scenery- what I currently have loaded in my CFS2 world- and will send it along to whoever would like to have it.

WITH THE FOLLOWING PROVISO::d

Any old MR Solomons stuff you have installed will conflict with this new stuff. So the old stuff needs to be removed.

To be frank, the reason I don't release this newer stuff publicly is because I am unwilling in my old age to be answering endless emails regarding installation problems. Experience has taught me that 99% of installation problems are caused by users not following the instructions or not knowing how to use their computers. :d

The instructions included with the scenery are very comprehensive. As long as they get read carefully there should be no problem.

So, those who do not feel comfortable fooling around with CFS2 scenery installation or who are not totally at ease fooling around with their computers might not want to use this newer MR scenery. Because MR is no longer the equitable, patient and understanding MR that he used to be! :d

For those who dare, send me a PM with you email addy.

Chris

MaskRider
November 14th, 2008, 15:21
Ondonga, late afternoon.

Wulf190
November 14th, 2008, 15:26
Ya Know mask. Your only going to to tease people with those screen shots. :d

Hey Fellas! If you don't get MR's 'beta' SI airfield pack, your missin out!

Ettico
November 14th, 2008, 20:51
Presto. All of MR's Solomons airfields are in their places and looking good.

Now I need a new computer. I don't have enough planes for all these airfields. My rig can only handle 30 squadrons tops in a DCG mission without limping. Gonna need a lot of AA guns too.

I'll have to re-work my insane 1943-44 DCG Solomons campaign to incorporate the new airfields. It's already a hornet's nest of monstrous proportions. I can jam up to 52 squadrons into it, but I'll have to run it at moderate density so they don't all go up at once.

I can't believe they built all those airfields on that little chain of islands and enough planes to populate all of them in their spare time while they were building enough ships and planes for a fast carrier fleet. They were industrious people. It was like, you people on the east side take Europe, and you people on the west side take the Pacific. A's and E's, people.

It was reported that Lincoln, informed that the relentless Grant was a drunkard, was curious to know exactly what brand of whiskey Grant was chugging. Someone should investigate what those '40's people were on.:d

Tango_Romeo
November 14th, 2008, 21:03
To be frank, the reason I don't release this newer stuff publicly is because I am unwilling in my old age to be answering endless emails regarding installation problems. Experience has taught me that 99% of installation problems are caused by users not following the instructions or not knowing how to use their computers. :d

Brother Chris! This has driven more than one designer to cease releasing new work....more's the pity. :kilroy:

Ettico
November 15th, 2008, 00:55
I know all you Black Sheep will want this - runway data for Vella Lavella - the Black Sheep squadron's hidey hole. The airfield is in MR's zip file, but not the runway data. Not in mine anyhow.

And if Colonel Lard finds out you've got those nurses up there, the fun and games will be over for you.:d

name=Vella_Lavella
base_lat=S07 54.40
base_lon=E156 42.44
base_alt=0
heading=328
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-400,0
takeoff_stop_pos=1600,200
landing_start_pos=5000,350
landing_touchdown_pos=500,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

dog1
November 15th, 2008, 04:53
i tried everything under the sun to get the ondonga scenery apearing together with the solomons scenery but one blots out the other so its either one or the other.the problem lies in 2 GOB areas overlaping.I tried merging Ondonga and Munda but no way.real shame its such an important base for cfs2 since its a pacific conflict sim basically.
dog1

miamieagle
November 15th, 2008, 05:40
You will have to make a choice!:ernae:

casey jones
November 15th, 2008, 07:32
Dear Mask Rider,

Is their a scenery of Rabaul you might have made? Thank you for your work.

Cheers

Casey:kilroy:

Jagdflieger
November 15th, 2008, 07:34
Dog1,

1. Did you remove the older .bgl files with similar names to the new .bgl files? If not, that might be what is causing your conflict. I ended up removing several older files before installing the new set.

2. If the conflict is just with the GSL layer:

a. Delete your current .gsl file and reinstall your original CFS 2 stock, unmodified .gsl file.

b. Reinstall the gob file that came with the most recent Maskrider Solomon Islands scenery.

These two steps should get you flying out of Ondonga without any conflicts.

MaskRider
November 15th, 2008, 07:45
Dear Mask Rider,

Is their a scenery of Rabaul you might have made? Thank you for your work.

Cheers

Casey:kilroy:

There is but it is strictly a work in progress and in no way ready for any sort of distribution. Sorry.

hellcat44
November 15th, 2008, 08:17
Although you recommend certain textures for the "best look" MR, an on going beauty of your work is that it blends superbly with just about anything.

Jagdflieger
November 15th, 2008, 08:30
That it does Hellcat. Ondonga never looked so good.

MaskRider
November 15th, 2008, 08:35
i tried everything under the sun to get the ondonga scenery apearing together with the solomons scenery but one blots out the other so its either one or the other.the problem lies in 2 GOB areas overlaping.I tried merging Ondonga and Munda but no way.real shame its such an important base for cfs2 since its a pacific conflict sim basically.
dog1

I'm not quite sure what could be going on here.

The mr_si.gsl file included in the scenery contains the scenery layouts for the stock Vila and Munda. Adding mr_si.gsl to the stock cfs2.gsl using GSLMan.exe should simply replace Munda and Vila- leaving them exactly as they are..

Is Dog1's problem happening with everyone? Go to Munda and Vila and see if the scenery objects are there. They are on mine.

How about a couple of screenies. Maybe I am not understanding what is happening.

Chris

MaskRider
November 15th, 2008, 08:51
I know all you Black Sheep will want this - runway data for Vella Lavella - the Black Sheep squadron's hidey hole. The airfield is in MR's zip file, but not the runway data. Not in mine anyhow.

And if Colonel Lard finds out you've got those nurses up there, the fun and games will be over for you.:d

name=Vella_Lavella
base_lat=S07 54.40
base_lon=E156 42.44
base_alt=0
heading=328
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-400,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

Thanks for pointing this out Ettico. The runway entry for what I call Barakoma is indeed missing from the list. Just for comparison here is what I have it as:

[runway.XXX]
id=XXXX
name=SI Barakoma 15
base_lat=S07 54.40
base_lon=E156 42.43
base_alt=0
heading=147
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-400,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

Cheers,
Chris

dog1
November 15th, 2008, 09:15
JAGDFLIEGER

thanks tips will work on them this weeck end and will revert.

MASKRIDER

The comments i made above are based on my efforts many months ago.Having read all the above i will try again.
thanks comments
dog1

Jagdflieger
November 15th, 2008, 09:18
I just checked Munda and Vila. Both are stock airfields with stock GSL objects when using the new Solomon .bgl and .gsl files. Seems to me like they always were stock.

Here they are:

1. Munda
2. Ondongo
3. Vila

MaskRider
November 15th, 2008, 09:18
MASKRIDER

The comments i made above are based on my efforts many months ago.Having read all the above i will try again.
thanks comments
dog1

Hi Dog,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Chris

MaskRider
November 15th, 2008, 09:22
I just checked Munda and Vila. Both are stock airfields with stock GSL objects when using the new Solomon .bgl and .gsl files. Seems to me like they always were stock.

Here they are:

1. Munda
2. Ondongo
3. Vila

Thank you Dave.:d

MaskRider
November 15th, 2008, 10:02
That it does Hellcat. Ondonga never looked so good.

Thanks for the excellent Ondonga screenies, Dave.

You bring the place to life!

Ettico
November 15th, 2008, 14:26
Thanks for pointing this out Ettico. The runway entry for what I call Barakoma is indeed missing from the list. Just for comparison here is what I have it as:

[runway.XXX]
id=XXXX
name=SI Barakoma 15
base_lat=S07 54.40
base_lon=E156 42.43
base_alt=0
heading=147
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-400,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

Cheers,
Chris

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure your heading will work better than mine. I run off the edge of the coral when I take off on my heading.

P.S. there are 2 airfields just south of Henderson that don't have runway entries. I don't know what their names are.

MaskRider
November 15th, 2008, 14:43
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure your heading will work better than mine. I run off the edge of the coral when I take off on my heading.

P.S. there are 2 airfields just south of Henderson that don't have runway entries. I don't know what their names are.

Dang! LOL! Good call Ettico! Thanks- I kinda wish everyone were as through as you are! You seem to be a member of that pesky 1%! :d

Here are those runway entries:
runway.XXX]
id=XXXX
name=SI HF Carney I 5
base_lat=S09 25.06
base_lon=E160 09.57
base_alt=0
heading=050
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-450,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

[runway.XXX]
id=XXXX
name=SI HF Carney II 5
base_lat=S09 26.32
base_lon=E160 11.44
base_alt=0
heading=050
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-450,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

The HF stands for Henderson Field complex. These should all show up in the same place in the drop down lists.
Cheers,
Chris

Ettico
November 15th, 2008, 16:46
Thanks, MR. I'm all fixed up now. I took a quick look at all of them. They all look great, as usual.:ernae:

dog1
November 15th, 2008, 18:54
ATT JAGDFLIEGER

a. Delete your current .gsl file and reinstall your original CFS 2 stock, unmodified .gsl file.

How can i do that.... it eliminates all my gsl'd improvements!!!!!

b. Reinstall the gob file that came with the most recent Maskrider Solomon Islands scenery.

I have solomon islands 2004 installed,is that ok?
I have the ondonga dedicated scenery directly from maskrider many months ago ready to install again.

dog1

Jagdflieger
November 15th, 2008, 18:59
Dog,

1. Do you still have your layout files for all or your improved your scenery? If so, you can rebuild your .gsl file with all of your improvements after you clear up your conflicts around Ondonga.

2. Be sure to SAVE your current .gsl file with all of your improvents in case you want to return to it or in case the solution does not work.

MaskRider
November 15th, 2008, 20:16
Dog1,

WRT Solomons 2004, I refer you to this from post #3 on this thread. The same instruction is also contained in the MR Solomons 080512 readme:

WITH THE FOLLOWING PROVISO::d

Any old MR Solomons stuff you have installed will conflict with this new stuff. So the old stuff needs to be removed.
Chris

Chris

MaskRider
November 16th, 2008, 18:49
As soon as I get a new uploading password I will upload this Solomons pack to SOH. I added the Barakoma, Carney I and Carney II runway entries to the readme and have renamed the zip mr_solomons_081116.zip

Too many email requests to keep up with! :d

Chris

Jagdflieger
November 16th, 2008, 19:19
I thought it might come to that!

Good_2_Be
November 16th, 2008, 20:04
Thanks MaskRider I just hope when everyone installs it they ****, as TR would say :costumes:

BTW your bases are incredible, do most of my quick combat around your Solomons stuff :applause:

MaskRider
November 17th, 2008, 11:58
mr_solomons_081116 is uploaded and should show up soon in the add ons library.

The only difference between mr_solomons_081116 and mr_solomons_080512 is that the readme in mr_solomons_081116 includes 3 runway entries that are missing in mr_solomons_080512 - thanks you Ettico! Everything else is the same.

Cheers,
Chris

VF_Moo
November 20th, 2008, 09:54
Chris, you're awesome

thank you thank you thank you

Shadow Wolf 07
November 30th, 2008, 10:46
Thanks Chris! All I need now is for the "old" master to redo the Phillipines bases :jump:

Rami
December 20th, 2009, 06:49
Sorry, guys.

I resurrected this thread because I remembered there were three or four airbase.dat entries missing from the Solomons pack. This pack contained three out of the four.

Now all we need is the entry for Stirling Island! :jump:

miamieagle
December 20th, 2009, 08:09
Thank you!:wavey:

bearcat241
December 20th, 2009, 13:01
Now all we need is the entry for Stirling Island!

Here's mine....

[runway.XXX]
id=XXXX
name=SI Stirling Island Strip
base_lat=S7 24.71
base_lon=E155 33.79
base_alt=0
heading=190
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-500,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

Rami
December 20th, 2009, 13:45
Bearcat,

That'll work, thanks! :ernae:

Devildog73
December 20th, 2009, 16:04
MR,
I am a virtual idiot when it comes to following written directions. I grew up too close to Missouri I guess. If somebody shows me, I can then do it again and again. If I only read it, it is a crap shoot for me.

THAT BEING SAID, I have all of your scenery installed and it works flawlessly and looks beautiful.

IT AIN'T YOUR DIRECTIONS! They are fine, even as extensive as they are.