PDA

View Full Version : Great Guitarists in Rock History

Mathias
June 1st, 2010, 06:46
We havn't had that for some so this might be fun.
Let's begin with one who inspired many other guitarists with the sheer warmth and depth of his tone,
Paul Kossof of Free.
Here in a session that was, err, new to me.

1SE536bPv0w

fSa14ryLkwM

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 07:19
Certainly inspired me
H

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 07:39
my first inspiration
6Jj2R69qRxU

and all 3 together
ICpxgxThG7s
H

IanHenry
June 1st, 2010, 07:48
Paul Kossoff is one of the greatest blues guitarist of all time, but very much under rated, which is something that was pointed out recently by one of today’s greats, Joe Bonamassa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyEdUajXBsI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyEdUajXBsI)
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian.

Mathias
June 1st, 2010, 08:00
Right that Ian. Guess that's why I choose Kossof as the first entry.

Get to see Bonamassa in July in Hamburg btw. Needless to say I'm quite excited about that. :-)

Henry, I admit the Yardbirds where a few years before my time.
When we began to listen to our "own" music at age 10 or so it was Deep Purple, Status Quo, Stones and the Who. I feel a bit embarrassed about the Status Quo thingy today though.:d

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 08:15
Right that Ian. Guess that's why I choose Kossof as the first entry.

Henry, I admit the Yardbirds where a few years before my time.
When we began to listen to our "own" music at age 10 or so it was Deep Purple, Status Quo, Stones and the Who. I feel a bit embarrassed about the Status Quo thingy today though.:d
Kossof was a great first choice:ernae:
no worries about status Quo
i was a fan also:173go1:
LOL
H

lefty
June 1st, 2010, 08:16
I feel a bit embarrassed about the Status Quo thingy today though.:d

Don't know why, Mathias - they taught you all the chords you need.........:jump:

Mathias
June 1st, 2010, 08:19
Don't know why, Mathias - they taught you all the chords you need.........:jump:

LOL, yeah, all three. :d

IanHenry
June 1st, 2010, 09:08
Slash’s new self titled album is very good. Also check out this new band, The Union who is set to release their debut album in August;
http://www.theuniononline.com/ (http://www.theuniononline.com/)
A few free song downloads on their site, worth the effort.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian.

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 11:18
LOL, yeah, all three. :d
LOL LOL LOL:guinness:
but how many people have used them
H

oakfloor
June 1st, 2010, 11:23
Mr. Richard hugh blackmore..

Mathias
June 1st, 2010, 11:53
Mr. Richard hugh blackmore..

Funky character, but yeah, definitely one of the greatest.
DP Mk I through III made groundbreaking stuff barely recognized these days.
I don't think they ever played one song exactly the same twice.

G6x8GGXrCFQ

YAZyjARWKzM

pfzv3bf9-OY&feature=related

Cees Donker
June 1st, 2010, 12:07
Paul Kossoff is my biggest influence. I started playing guitar because of Free. Next came Carlos Santana....and Jan Akkerman in Focus. I liked Andrew Latimer (Camel) too. And Larry Carlton! Lately I experimented with some Hendrix sounds. Still the source.....I should add Jimmy Page, but I like Led Zeppelin more as a band than Jimmy as a guitar player.

:kilroy:

Cees

Mathias
June 1st, 2010, 12:14
Let's not forget Rory, even though his Stratocaster never seemed to stay in tune.:d

sXOwDDBhT80&feature=related

GazzTFxXGeE

Moses03
June 1st, 2010, 12:29
My vote goes to The Edge from U2 for a variety of reasons. Mainly because he was not another blues based player but developed his own style that was, and is very distinct.

xMw8NjCs_dg

The twin guitars of Peter Koppes and Marty Willson-Piper from the Aussie band The Church should also be mentioned.

GWhV2l9QPxw

Will Sergeant from Echo and The Bunnymen is a big influence as well.

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 12:39
Let's not forget Rory, even though his Stratocaster never seemed to stay in tune.:d

gotta agree with you once more
and those old strats didnt
thanks
H

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 13:05
xW1A7AbyqvI
heres randy

and lets not forget leslie west
0l_x0xH9fLM

and just for kicks
theese ole nashville boys
wS0_h_bYe8I

FAC257
June 1st, 2010, 14:19
Randy California

Thanks for reminding me about a guitarist that I forgot that I liked.

I was sort of a fan of his original group Spirit, but liked him as a guitarist better than the group as a whole.

Finally got to see him live in '81 at a local rock bar in Cocoa Beach. They were booked as "Spirit" but the only two original members that I know were on stage were Randy and Ed Cassidy on drums.

Edited - Almost forgot to add:
Leslie West & Mountain. Saw them summer of '75 as the opening act for Alvin Lee and Ten Years After. At the time Alvin was in my top 5 favorite guitarist list.

FAC

cheezyflier
June 1st, 2010, 14:25
someone i been groovin to here lately:

TIBdT_sIJ3c

Naismith
June 1st, 2010, 14:36
LOL LOL LOL:guinness:
but how many people have used them
H

I used to be a big Hawkwind fan, they only used one chord. But they did have Stacia dancing on stage.....:jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tDgzBd2hD4

Cazzie
June 1st, 2010, 17:24
Leslie West, you'd a thought he'd have lost some weight as hard and heavy as he played a guitar. One of my faves.

Now get this, I don't really like Heavy Metal that much, but Buck Dharma owns them all!

Caz

pc9PPy0jzc8

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 17:25
one guy i Know from London and another from Shreveport
if ya like tellysv9EbGrLK0Uw
H

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 17:47
an if i could play a guitar properly
this would be me
_m4H77z3fJE
H

Willy
June 1st, 2010, 17:55
David Gilmour has always been a favorite of mine.

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 18:19
these could be the greatest rifts
dont see status quo there
Ql3yKd5EiwA

EasyEd
June 1st, 2010, 18:32
Hey All,

Rock guitar you say well I'll tell ya - This guy takes a backseat to nobody! Not Hendrix, Vaughan, Clapton, Malmstein - any of em - in terms of sheer talent and I'll bet dollars to donuts none of those guys can switch switch to steel like Junior. He's wearin a white cowboy hat so you know he's got to be good! :d
jonJu6-XpWU&feature=related
A little Freeborn Man
yojUpMPt2vk&feature=related
Some Beach Boys just to show that the steel guitar isn't just for show
16qsYreBJZE&feature=related
THE Junior Classic
1r0fYw-RkeI&feature=related

-Ed-

Henry
June 1st, 2010, 18:41
thats just chicken
aKBQdvLv0I0
H

hews500d
June 1st, 2010, 18:53
pqCBZfuedn8

Al Pitrelli. This guy has inspired my playing so much over the last few years. If I could only get half as good, then I would be a happy man !

tigisfat
June 1st, 2010, 19:27
I know he's not that old, and I'm not a Pantera fan, but someone has to mention Dimebag Darrell. He was incredible and he wrote brilliant pieces.

Ken Stallings
June 1st, 2010, 20:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZ7s68LmCk

I think Gary Richrath of the classic era of REO Speedwagon gets too little regard. He's a master of the Cry Baby Wah pedal!

Give a listen to the live version of Golden Country.

Ken

Moses03
June 1st, 2010, 21:06
Peter Buck of R.E.M. has been one of my favorites over the years and has influenced a generation of guitarists with his jangly Rickenbacker/Telecaster fueled sound.

LPSnD8fQT_0

demorier
June 1st, 2010, 21:53
Someone has to toss in Mark Knopler....ok, I'll do it.

Mathias
June 1st, 2010, 22:33
these could be the greatest rifts
dont see status quo there

Wot? No Kinks "You Really Got Me"? :d

Fauville
June 2nd, 2010, 00:40
No one mentioned Pete Townsend yet? or Robby Krieger

Quixoticish
June 2nd, 2010, 00:53
<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yw74sDWPH7U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HPNGKZHRFSU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYabmM-uxdE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YFOwsFqfkU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YFOwsFqfkU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

</object>

TomSteber
June 2nd, 2010, 06:28
Have to post this one again. In my opinion, one of the best all around players with one of the best bands of all time.
Here's a very early clip of some of the southern style picking of Steve Morse and the Dixie Dregs.
Great part about the Dregs is that they do more than just southern rock stuff. They cover all the bases.

Sorry that didn't work.

TomSteber
June 2nd, 2010, 06:30
Let's try that again.

VohubM8Hls4

IanHenry
June 2nd, 2010, 07:03
What about Peter Green?

cheezyflier
June 2nd, 2010, 13:37
RXLPveilqo8

Tako_Kichi
June 2nd, 2010, 13:57
ROFPMPL!

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Man I would love to play in a band like that, they look like a ton of fun!

Did you notice that despite all the drummer's actions and gyrations he never missed a single beat! What a performer....BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!

:applause::applause::applause:

Ken Stallings
June 2nd, 2010, 16:07
As good as that video was, there are better live recordings of that Lindsey Buckingham song, "So Afraid." The version Fleetwood Mac decided to put on their two-volume anthology CD has far better tempo and clarity. I marvel at it every time I hear it.

Ken

Brian_Gladden
June 2nd, 2010, 16:41
Some of the great ones are no longer with us...

The late Great Jeff Healey

C0kKrWjj6jw

Stevie Ray Vaughn

FMX09jAGgTM

EasyEd
June 2nd, 2010, 18:28
Hey All,

This guy is not rock but I know of no other guitarist who simply created a sound all his own - copied by many but none are as good as the original. He was the signature sound behind Johnny Cash until he died in 1968. He has his fans who define him as the greatest ever - I can't argue with that if the definition of being the greatest is to define a sound that is yours and yours alone. Can anyone here name him without doing the google thing? He's in the back on the right.

wEV58ztuihs&feature=related

-Ed-

Ken Stallings
June 2nd, 2010, 18:35
Chet Atkins?

Ken

EasyEd
June 2nd, 2010, 18:54
Hey All,

Not Chet.

-Ed-

tigisfat
June 2nd, 2010, 21:25
If any of you are largely unfamiliar with Dimebag Darrell's work, please don't pass this by. Give it a serious listen on decent speakers. It's a simple but incredibly beautiful piece, and it's harder to play than it sounds. This is an example of true guitar mastery.

Rw6IovJFFK4

tigisfat
June 2nd, 2010, 21:30
Holy crap he plays clean...:salute: Does anyone else wish he was never in that garbage band pantera? Sure they had their share of rickin' songs, but imagine what he could've done in a band without clowns such as Phil Anselmo.

jsBS44SGwF0

Mathias
June 3rd, 2010, 03:49
Hey All,

This guy is not rock but I know of no other guitarist who simply created a sound all his own - copied by many but none are as good as the original. He was the signature sound behind Johnny Cash until he died in 1968. He has his fans who define him as the greatest ever - I can't argue with that if the definition of being the greatest is to define a sound that is yours and yours alone. Can anyone here name him without doing the google thing? He's in the back on the right.

-Ed-

That would be a dude with the initials L.P.
Brings us to another of the true great guitarists, though not a rocker his cooperation with Gibson probably had some serious influence on today's music.
Lester William Polsfuss a.k.a Les Paul who just passed away last August at age 94

AP7qI5RVtxw

....and can't resist, one shot of yours truely celebrating the heritage. :wavey:

http://www.classics-hangar.de/temp_images/maicity.jpg

Jean Bomber
June 3rd, 2010, 12:31
...Jimi Hendrix ,the man who showed how to use the Electric guitar to invent the Rock we know today,some rock bands at this time was suddently outdated ,like a meteor dead too soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpimpwQj3Y&feature=related

One of my favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10Y1cmN1ms&feature=related

R-I-P Jimi :salute:

JP

Bjoern
June 3rd, 2010, 13:00
The usual suspects:

Sel Belamir (Amplifier), for making a guitar sound way more than a guitar.
iIMh_hzvpfs

Matthew Bellamy (Muse) for creativity and diversity.
MhDnTRjoJvg

Joey Eppard (3), for playing it the spanish way and making it sound good.
FNk0iinRxao

Honorable mention:
Ian D'Sa (Billy Talent) for his truly unique, yet diverse style.
EqRR9OcAsSU

Ken Stallings
June 3rd, 2010, 14:39
Well, I was debating guessing Les Paul or Chet Atkins. Obviously, I chose wrongly. So, you might have this one Mathias!

Ken

Mathias
June 3rd, 2010, 14:57
Well, I was debating guessing Les Paul or Chet Atkins. Obviously, I chose wrongly. So, you might have this one Mathias!

Ken

He Ken, in this case L.P. is for Luther Perkins.

Railrunner130
June 3rd, 2010, 15:39
I'm not sure where to start. Several excellent guitarists have already been mentioned- Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Steve Vai.

F6JYXiXio74 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6JYXiXio74)

One guitarist that quickly came to my personal forefront is Joe Satriani. His work with Chickenfoot is phenomenal!

zJ9wPK9-Reo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ9wPK9-Reo)

Still another that disappeared, but will (according to the latest rumors) soon return is Eddie Van Halen. Another favorite is Dick Dale.

gecko65
June 3rd, 2010, 15:58
Recent history . . . let it play out - it just gets better:

v8pUqln36po<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px;"></object>

Henry
June 3rd, 2010, 16:26
of course heres another few
mqI81Xa2mFk
SkZsSydzQjM
and there are females
OO3ZMdcL8Pc
Z04r_tlWdRs
XXq5VvYAI1Q
n6U-TGahwvs
WAZlf_9ObLg
H

Henry
June 3rd, 2010, 16:53
lqAuuIDU2sw
if ya go to menphis
or oklahoma
ruW0qpIbRpE
or across the border
4RjqcTsxx-8
and 3 other favorites
Ip6a6oowSAM
H

Ken Stallings
June 3rd, 2010, 17:39
He Ken, in this case L.P. is for Luther Perkins.

Well, I have to say I'm not familiar with any pioneering style by this guy. In fact, this is the first time I've heard of him! LOL!!

That famous "chug-chug" beat was from Johnny Cash's acoustic guitar. So, what exactly did this guy do that defined a new style?

Ken

burcham8
June 3rd, 2010, 18:00
Knopfler...Knopfler...Knopfler!!!

Marc

tigisfat
June 3rd, 2010, 18:10
Knopfler...Knopfler...Knopfler!!!

Marc

Please clue me in! I love his recordings, and the solo for sultans of swing is one ofo the best ever, but sometimes I wonder if it's even him or a stand-in playing for him. His live work reminds me of Kansas in that the songs are almost ruined for me hearing them live because they are so lifeless. Knopfler just seems to fall flat for me live. I've never heard the full and correct solos played for any of his songs, they're always simplified as if he can't muster up the skills to repeat what was on the recording. The hallmark of legendary guitar players is the ability to record well, then play even better live.

Henry
June 3rd, 2010, 18:30
most people actually play better live
its hard to put the same thing in the studio
after you have done it once its gone after that
H

FAC257
June 3rd, 2010, 18:54
Been meaning to throw the guitarist from this band into one these guitar threads. The fellow's name is Bill Dillon. The first and only time I ever saw him play live was back when the Boomers were still together. I liked the band's sound and bought their album as soon as I heard them. What I didn't catch onto right away is how oddly different and mesmerizing Bill's playing style is. No flashy riffs just this haunting subtle guitar solo work going in the background.

8FO0hIQ_bkU&feature

Great girl friend or wife dumping theme song. :)
-UYOib_M_wk&a

FAC

EasyEd
June 3rd, 2010, 19:09
Hey All,

Well, I have to say I'm not familiar with any pioneering style by this guy. In fact, this is the first time I've heard of him! LOL!!

That famous "chug-chug" beat was from Johnny Cash's acoustic guitar. So, what exactly did this guy do that defined a new style?The "scratchy sound is from from Cash playing rythym - the guitar line in the background of I walk the line is Luther. He created that sound and it is common in many Johnny Cash songs - listen to the guitar in this one.

X3LK2EwvI_Q&feature=related

You'll see how Luther makes the guitar sound "cavernous". Luther invented that and that is what makes his sound so distinct. That sound also occurs in the Bakersfield sound but it all came from Luther. It's not whether he could cram a lot of notes into a measure but that he created a distinct sound is the reason why so many consider him great.

-Ed-

An edit: Johnny Cash knew what Luther brought to his band - he wrote a song about it. Note that by the time this performance happened Luther had passed - so it isn't Luther doing the playing.

v2_sVIw7If8&NR=1

Luther Perkins defined a style and a sound - few other guitarists can make that claim.

N2056
June 3rd, 2010, 20:16
I have to toss in my vote for Mark Knopfler, although I am also partial to Chet Atkins, Jimi Hendrix, and Carlos Santana. One of the favorites of mine is Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins "Neck & Neck"

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIKt_WQHia8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

burcham8
June 3rd, 2010, 20:28
[QUOTE=tigisfat;425548]Please clue me in! I love his recordings, and the solo for sultans of swing is one ofo the best ever, but sometimes I wonder if it's even him or a stand-in playing for him.

Turst me, He (Mark Knopfler) is the real deal. He'd not have been asked by Chet Atkins to duo-record if he wasn't.

Marc

redriver6
June 3rd, 2010, 20:46
Kenny Wayne Shepherd

CF4f9NdCFUU&feature=related

usySRsotVA8&feature=related

and i still think Ace is one of the best...

KsvtJ2npPiA

Mathias
June 4th, 2010, 00:21
Randy Rhoads re-defined hardrock and influenced many heavy metallers.
If only Ozzy's croaking wouldn't spoil it.:d

DMukoRdKo00&feature=related

kilo delta
June 4th, 2010, 01:40
He's only received a brief mention here....

Dave Gilmour

=p_uCO9wOVGE

Always gives me goosebumps!!!!!

and another of my favourites...

Gary Moore

4O_YMLDvvnw

gecko65
June 4th, 2010, 21:13
Randy Rhoads re-defined hardrock and influenced many heavy metallers.
If only Ozzy's croaking wouldn't spoil it.:d

Rhoads was one of my favs. I saw him in concert less than a month before he died.

Now then - This man . . . still has it. Always puts a lot of emotion into his work.

8CalcTiZag4

Craig Taylor
June 5th, 2010, 20:02
This guy isn't too bad...and neither is the bass player, in my humble opinion. Got to see them at Nissan Pavilian (now Jiffy Lube???) in No. VA several years ago. They still rock!

eC_po7vkb78

Thanks to all the other posters. I've been enjoying everyone else's contributions immensely. :ernae:

tigisfat
June 5th, 2010, 22:57
Rhoads was one of my favs. I saw him in concert less than a month before he died.

Now then - This man . . . still has it. Always puts a lot of emotion into his work.

8CalcTiZag4

Ah yes, Robin Trower, the guy that Metallica blatently plaguerized for a song on their load album.

paiken
June 6th, 2010, 07:38
How about some Robert Fripp? After all, he created the start-up sounds for windows.

kilo delta
June 6th, 2010, 09:48
He's only received a brief mention here....

Dave Gilmour

p_uCO9wOVGE

Always gives me goosebumps!!!!!

and another of my favourites...

Gary Moore

]

Hmm...first vid didn't show...so ^^^^^ :)

TomSteber
June 6th, 2010, 09:48
How about some Robert Fripp? After all, he created the start-up sounds for windows.
Vista that is.

Mathias
June 6th, 2010, 10:18
Cees mentioned Jan Akkerman before, rightly so.
Here's the videos:

hjPlnWCGMIw

bpV5InLw52U

Pro5Ps5EHqw

Bill Kestell
June 6th, 2010, 10:42
My age and bias are showing: my good friends, the late Bob Bogle and Nokie Edwards ... both responsible for more young guitar players in the 60's than any other artists of that time. Read the interviews from some of the great, later guitarists about what got them into playing in the first place ... 99 out of 100 ... THE VENTURES!

Mathias
June 6th, 2010, 11:01
My age and bias are showing: my good friends, the late Bob Bogle and Nokie Edwards ... both responsible for more young guitar players in the 60's than any other artists of that time. Read the interviews from some of the great, later guitarists about what got them into playing in the first place ... 99 out of 100 ... THE VENTURES!

He, that brings up fond memories!
The first song we tried our hands on with the first band at age 13 was Apache by the Shadows, the second was Wipe Out by the Ventures.
Number three was House Of The Rising Sun by whoever (insert Eric Burdon if you wish)
Thanks for bringing that back!

pY-rPDwzM9M

T8__EwAT8VM

cheezyflier
June 6th, 2010, 11:02
the ventures are (were?) awesome! i listen to "surfing" all the time!!! 30 great songs!