PDA

View Full Version : For a "100% FS9 Compatible" FS11 ?

VaporZ
November 14th, 2008, 01:55
Just some questions about the future :

Is there a FS11 on the works at Microsoft ?
if yes
Is the new FS11 will be fully FS9 compatible ?
( and "zero compatible to FSX" )
Is the new FS11 will be a more logical evolution of FS9 ?

It could be the time for Microsoft to recognized that FSX
was not designed for the vast majority of FlightSimmer
and not adapted to the actual PC technology.
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

hinch
November 14th, 2008, 02:13
There have been hints on the developer blogs, some not too subtle. I believe (and very much support) they will be cutting down the amount of support for old models - so there will be only one gauge type etc. Whether they keep roughly the same SDK as FSX I'm unsure - so any models will be compatible or require adjustments but it almost certainly is a no no for FS9 model.

mcjerkyls
November 14th, 2008, 02:14
yes to #1, but dont hold your breath for the others:costumes:

empeck
November 14th, 2008, 03:08
FS11 is going to be compatible with addons made with FSX SP2 SDK, so it means no FS9 compatibility at all.

It is going to be a logical evolution of FSX ;)

Daube
November 14th, 2008, 03:24
Just some questions about the future :

if yes

It could be the time for Microsoft to recognized that FSX
was not designed for the vast majority of FlightSimmer
and not adapted to the actual PC technology.
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

From the various discussion and blogs I could see around, I understand that:
- there will be an FS11
- it will be a logical sequel to FSX, not FS9. FS11 being a sequel to FS9 would not be logic at all.
- only native FSX planes have a chance to be compatible with FS11... and this is not even sure. I still hope they'll switch to a totally different model, but the guys from ACES have always refused to give any hint on this subject if I remember correctly.

txnetcop
November 14th, 2008, 03:30
Guys, I for one don't want compatibility with FS9. I would like it if FS11 would be based on the same engine as Train Simulator 2 and will be eons ahead of FS9 and FSX. A2A in FSX has shown us a new envelope of possibility that could never be reproduced on the FS9 engine. I fly FS9 with FS9 aircraft and am perfectly happy to have it as a stand alone, expecially GW3. FS9 will never leave a computer I own...especially because of the aircraft our own Outhouse developers have done for it.

IMHO It's time to keep moving forward into what possibilities exist in the future with flight simming.

The only drawback with new, more powerful engine is a computer that will run it efficiently. It looks like the new i7Core processors are going to be great in FSX. Thanks to Intel Core 2 Duo and AMD dual core, FS9 runs better than it ever has. I can't even imagine what it will take to run FS11 well.

Ted

Dangerousdave26
November 14th, 2008, 04:20
I can't even imagine what it will take to run FS11 well.

Ted

Your own personal Nuclear Power Plant :icon_lol:

aeronca1
November 14th, 2008, 04:59
Your own personal Nuclear Power Plant :icon_lol:

Oh Goody! I was fearing that a Particle Accelerator was going to be the min. requirement. :costumes:

Underdog
November 14th, 2008, 05:13
Why is Microsoft always trying to reinvent the wheel ?

Tako_Kichi
November 14th, 2008, 05:55
Why is Microsoft always trying to reinvent the wheel ?
It's called progress and without it we would all still be flying wireframe aircraft in 8 glorious colours!

Progress comes at a price of course but it is getting easier and cheaper to upgrade computers these days and FSX really does not need that much power in this day and age. I ran it quite happily on a P4 with a 256 Mb GFX card which is a very basic system in late 2008.

The trick to staying up to speed in the computer game is to learn to do your own upgrades and to upgrade in steps as you can afford (a GFX card here, more RAM there, a new mobo and CPU when you can afford it).

As others have said FS11 will not be compatible with FS9 at all and there is even some doubt as to whether FSX aircraft will be supported.

magoo
November 14th, 2008, 06:43
There are people still building and enjoying files for FS98. I think FS9 will still see a strong following for several years to come.

Out of all the flightsim programs, there appear to be a few that hit the sweet spot. Fs98, Fs9, CFS2.

I have planes and sceneries for FS9 that I've downloaded, stored, and have never yet had a chance to look at in the sim. That prospect alone should keep FS9 on my hard drive for a few more years.

Latest, newest proggie...? Wildest future proggie...? Not worried, not concerned, I've got a sweetie right here in FS9.

Odie
November 14th, 2008, 06:56
I agree that FS9 will be around for quite awhile longer due to the sheer number of add-ons that have been purchased (payware) and graciously provided to the FS community (freeware).

At least for me, FS9 is still going strong and occupying a large part of my HD space. There has been so much work as well as variety of models done for it, it would be a shame to abandon it when there is so much life still left in it.

But, like anything, bigger, better, faster is always in the work and if there is an F-14D developed for FS11 (hint-hint), FS11 will no doubtedly share the HD with FS9, FSX (once I load it out) until time and developers move us forward to the point where FS9 should be retired (a personal decision that most will have to make).

For now, my FS9 skies are full, the hangars are crowded with interesting a/c, and above all, SOH still has an enthusiastic member base that regularly uses FS9.

It's a fine thing. :d

PHo17
November 14th, 2008, 07:44
The most annoying part of the FS9 is it's tendency to crash to the desktop (so many ways). What ever the new versions of FS will be I wish those won't carry this property. Perhaps this property is due to that amateur designers (who possibly don't know the simulator good enough) so easily can make addons for it. This is just a guess because I am no author myself (one who doesn't know the simulator well enough to make any addons for it :d) .

Pekka

VaporZ
November 14th, 2008, 11:23
Tako Kichi is saying about FSX :

"The trick to staying up to speed in the computer game is to learn to do your own upgrades and to upgrade in steps as you can afford (a GFX card here, more RAM there, a new mobo and CPU when you can afford it)."

This is ridiculous. We are in 2008

FSX prime objective as a product must have been to be as user friendly as possible ie ......

easy plug and play without any problems with current PC equipment to deliver 60FPS plus enjoyable FlightSimming .......

enabling to recruit new FlightSimmers and to build confidence to FS9 users to transfer to FSX ...... including full compatibility between FS9 and FSX formats.

ie make more money !!!!!!
this specific objective have not been met !!!!!!!

As as said we are in 2008 not in 1008 !

Vaporz
:censored:

empeck
November 14th, 2008, 11:44
FSX prime objective as a product must have been to be as user friendly as possible ie ......

easy plug and play without any problems with current PC equipment to deliver 60FPS plus enjoyable FlightSimming .......

If you want a simple platform, maybe try a console, not PC ;)

Many sims have FPS problems. Try to load a complicated mission to LockOn, and check FPS counter. And this game is even older than FSX.

enabling to recruit new FlightSimmers and to build confidence to FS9 users to transfer to FSX ...... including full compatibility between FS9 and FSX formats.

FS9 planes does work in FSX.

ie make more money !!!!!!
this specific objective have not been met !!!!!!!

FSX was the fastest selling FS version ever. It was even in top ten of best selling games. So, I guess, this objective has been met ;)

Many people, myself included, does enjoy FSX. IMHO it is very good product.

Drake
November 14th, 2008, 20:04
Start saving now for your very own Cray.

Tigster
November 14th, 2008, 20:51
Can anybody spot a connection between the following statements?

1) New versions of Microsoft's flagship gaming platform are routinely designed to run properly only on next generation machines.

2) Microsoft all but has a monopoly of the OS market for new PC's.

No other developer seems to think that progress is dependent on writing for hardware that won't exist until the second half of the product's lifetime. They even released two service packs for FSX that were incompatible with the original release (and each other) to prevent the port-overs from FS9 that were still occuring. That's what it took to force a significiant proportion of the FS community to lay out for a new operating system (that was failing) as well as a new sim (that was failing).

Call me an old cynic, but I think that FS11's predicted incompatibility with earlier sims will be - as with FSX - due more to deliberate design than to technical issues or progress.

VaporZ
November 15th, 2008, 02:33
Empeck is saying :

Answer :

I never used a console

I am a PC Gamer, mostly FlightSimmer and I have a super equipped PC
optimised for games firstly to permit seamless gaming for the very
heavy "medieval / knights" type PC games of my two sons and......

to flightsim with FS9 at 70 FPS plus !!!!

I buy and tried FSX about 48 hours and uninstalled it

I am a heterosexual PC Gamer/Flightsimmer not a windowsexual data programmer tweaker that think that 20FPS is ok to virtually fly !

Many sims have FPS problems. Try to load a complicated mission to LockOn, and check FPS counter. And this game is even older than FSX.

Question :
By the way how many FPS did you reach with FSX compared to FS9 on the same
PC ?
:jump:
VaporZ

empeck
November 15th, 2008, 02:45
By the way how many FPS did you reach with FSX compared to FS9 on the same PC ?

Of course FS9 is smoother than FSX. I had 70 - 100 fps in FS9, and I have 20 - 45 fps in FSX - depends where I fly, but I'm a bush flyer, and I have 35 - 45 fps outside the big airports with antialiasing and anisotropic filtering tuned on. Thats ok for me :)

But hey, with FS8 I'd probably have about 200fps :ernae:

MudMarine
November 15th, 2008, 03:26
It's not about max FPS. I have both FS9 and FSX set at 24 FPS and both run fine. I do hope that MS keeps reaching towards the future to give us that one excellent flight sim!

wombat666
November 15th, 2008, 03:55
Empeck is saying :
Answer :
I never used a console
I am a PC Gamer, mostly FlightSimmer and I have a super equipped PC
optimised for games firstly to permit seamless gaming for the very
heavy "medieval / knights" type PC games of my two sons and......
to flightsim with FS9 at 70 FPS plus !!!!
I buy and tried FSX about 48 hours and uninstalled it
I am a heterosexual PC Gamer/Flightsimmer not a windowsexual data programmer tweaker that think that 20FPS is ok to virtually fly !
Question :
By the way how many FPS did you reach with FSX compared to FS9 on the same
PC ?
:jump:
VaporZ

And perhaps people might try and keep this thread on the original subject without it degenerating into another FS9vFSX slagging match??
:banghead:

Bjoern
November 15th, 2008, 08:20
As long as Aces finally gives FS11 a brand new rendering engine, I couldn't care less about add-on compatibility.

As long as you have the source files of your models and a good SDK for the new version, why should you bother?

VPL Paolo Lao
November 15th, 2008, 09:15
The only thing I like on FSX is the water, FS9 would look good with it, I just hope that the new FS11 would run on a reasonable machine.

hinch
November 15th, 2008, 10:36
This months 360 magazine has a good case for flight sim to come to the xbox. It's easy to sync to the PC and a lot of USB hardware you can plug straight in. Now that xbox games can be installed to a hard drive maybe Aces will look that way.

More than that, anything that can run Colin Mcrae Dirt in HD while pumping out an average of 36FPS and costs £200 for the top version is a good enough case for me!

Wing_Z
November 15th, 2008, 11:40
This months 360 magazine has a good case for flight sim to come to the xbox...
It's a strong case alright - console games tend to be more stable and have great graphics.
You'd want 2 flavours, too: shoot 'em, and don't shoot 'em
Then the PC version can go back to its roots, which is to entertain business-class air travellers in transit, on laptops :costumes:

empeck
November 15th, 2008, 11:45
Flying in flight sims is half of the fun for me. Or even less. What I really enjoy is developing addons for flight sims. Unfortunately consoles are very unfriendly platform for modders. That's why I hope FS will stay on PCs.

PHo17
November 16th, 2008, 04:17
The only thing I like on FSX is the water, FS9 would look good with it, I just hope that the new FS11 would run on a reasonable machine.

I hope so too, but am afraid that there isn't yet built such a computer that could run it smoothly all knobs turned to the south east...

Pekka

casey jones
November 16th, 2008, 07:53
I always look forward to progress with new MS FS, My PCs are old with old cards, but they run CFS2, FS8, FS9, Red Baron 3D just find...sure I would love to have a PC that will take a GE Force 8800 card or faster but my PCs will not take it, I have bought FSX for 29.00 but I am not flying it until I can buy a new PC maybe at Wal-mart that will run it okay. I enjoy what I have but that does not stop me from looking torwards a new powerful PC.

Cheers

Casey:wavey:

wombat666
November 16th, 2008, 09:05
I hope so too, but am afraid that there isn't yet built such a computer that could run it smoothly all knobs turned to the south east...
Pekka

It depends on just how much money you are prepared to spend ...........:d

deathfromafar
November 16th, 2008, 10:57
There's a guy from here(my city) who has worked at Microsoft since the early 90's and has been a regular in local press about new goings on in software from them. He has had direct involvement with more than one previous version of Flight Simulator. He was involved with the early stages of FS11 and made some early comments about it at the time. Since then, he has been working solely on the next Windows(7). Last word from him regarding FS11 was that it is moving forward but no release date is on the table yet. Also, he says the current word appears that FS11 will be treading entirely new ground and all previous FS models/scenery and SDK's are likely to be a no go in FS11. He indicated we might see FS11 sometime in 2010 perhaps. He also added caution that everything is rumor until some solid official news get's published because the project is still a ways off and subject to further changes.

Francois
November 16th, 2008, 12:16

Already started 2 years ago..... but MSTrains comes first now.

That's a weird question and the answer is that 'you can 100% forget that !' :costumes:

VPL Paolo Lao
November 17th, 2008, 09:31
It's all about money! :costumes: upgrading PC's in every 2 years time:banghead::isadizzy:

Tweek
November 17th, 2008, 10:16
It's all about money! :costumes: upgrading PC's in every 2 years time:banghead::isadizzy:

Unfortunately so, but I can't remember a time when that hasn't been the case!