PDA

View Full Version : This just made my day

gigabyte
May 30th, 2010, 13:42
I was getting my daily news fix this morning, and came across an item that just made my day, as I am sure many of you know I am quite active in supporting Hearing Loss issues, and working with people who are interested or have received Cochlear Implants. There has been some bad feelings over the years from the "D"eaf community (the "D" when used like this indicates those who primarly use visual language i.e. ASL, or finger spelling as opposed to spoken language) regarding implanting children, I have always thought it should be a parents choice just like any medical, physical, or mental issue they face when raising a child.

I will not drag out the details, I think the video below says it far better than I ever could - just amazing technology.

http://gizmodo.com/5550119/cochlear-implants-give-deaf-baby-the-gift-of-sound

Panther_99FS
May 30th, 2010, 14:46
I saw a special last night which showed a 16yr old who received a cochlear implant - needless to say, he was overjoyed!

GT182
May 30th, 2010, 16:42
That's great news Mike. Things have come a long way for those with hearing loss and those who are deaf. It's great to see another success. Especially for one so young. :applause: