PDA

View Full Version : First hand accounts of the Deepwater Horizon's sinking

jmig
May 28th, 2010, 15:42
This is a good article. Shows just how quickly things can go to hell in a hand basket.

There Was 'Nobody in Charge'

After the Blast, Horizon Was Hobbled by a Complex Chain of Command; A 23-Year-Old Steps In to Radio a Mayday

WallStreet Journal article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704113504575264721101985024.html?m od=wsj_india_main

jmig
May 29th, 2010, 09:53
BUMP..... The info present here fits on very well with what Ken stated in the other Oil Disaster thread.

Ken Stallings
May 29th, 2010, 10:23
BUMP..... The info present here fits on very well with what Ken stated in the other Oil Disaster thread.

I'm merely passing along what is being widely reported. As for the reasons pointed out that all fines and costs are ultimately born by the paying customers, this is why I want criminal charges brought against the corporate suits who's negligent decisions helped make this disaster as tragic and serious as it turned out to be. That article did not address comments about replacing heavy mud with sea water. But it does point out that the rig captain lost situational awareness and chided his subordinates for proper initiative. In hindsight, that makes him look foolish and incompetent under crises. A harsh charge, but when you are the captain of vessel, harsh burdens are what you sign up for.

I want the criminal prosecutions. That way, they pay a very personal price still less than the personal price many of their employees paid!

Ken

cheezyflier
May 29th, 2010, 11:01
it comes down to a corporate game of acceptable risk. it's long past time to stop doing things that way.

safn1949
May 29th, 2010, 11:46
I'm merely passing along what is being widely reported. As for the reasons pointed out that all fines and costs are ultimately born by the paying customers, this is why I want criminal charges brought against the corporate suits who's negligent decisions helped make this disaster as tragic and serious as it turned out to be. That article did not address comments about replacing heavy mud with sea water. But it does point out that the rig captain lost situational awareness and chided his subordinates for proper initiative. In hindsight, that makes him look foolish and incompetent under crises. A harsh charge, but when you are the captain of vessel, harsh burdens are what you sign up for.

I want the criminal prosecutions. That way, they pay a very personal price still less than the personal price many of their employees paid!

Ken

I agree,in simple terms that's why they pay the big bucks.You are in charge and good,bad or indifferent it's on your head as captain.From what I am reading this whole thing could have been brought to a screaming halt if the switch had been thrown immediately instead of waiting for orders from higher up.Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

EasyEd
May 29th, 2010, 12:04
Hey All,

Why would a BP Exec go to prison if we can't put bank CEO's and politicians who introduce and pass bad laws in prison?

This I see is one of the biggest problems in America and elsewhere - the lack of accountability by those who hold high office in corporations or government.

That said we'll see where this goes.

-Ed-

Ken Stallings
May 29th, 2010, 12:06
I agree,in simple terms that's why they pay the big bucks.You are in charge and good,bad or indifferent it's on your head as captain.From what I am reading this whole thing could have been brought to a screaming halt if the switch had been thrown immediately instead of waiting for orders from higher up.Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Nope, you are right, based again on the comments of the surviving rig workers. The switch was thrown too late and it seemed by the time it was thrown, the damage from the fire prevented it from functioning as designed. That delay appears the direct result of overly centralized management structure. The supervisors in charge simply assumed that they would always have time to get everyone out of bed or out of the shower to assemble, meet, discuss, and implement a plan at their leisure. However, common sense dictated it was negligent to have no immediate action plan in effect.

There should have been one man on duty, and in immediate proximity to the critical switch, given authority to engage it under emergency situation without any requirement to coordinate. This is called a critical action, and in the military when you have a critical single point of failure action that must be implemented in a timely manner, you have a known and unified chain of command to implement immediately by trusted officers on scene.

And the concept of on scene command is imperative. It's like in the Navy, the senior officer on the bridge, regardless of rank, is in command and is empowered with critical decision making authority. When the captain arrives on the bridge, he gets a quick update and assumes command. But, until then, the senior officer on the bridge is every bit in command and has authority to act.

A few weeks back I held judgment, but as I keep reading these first hand accounts it makes me angrier and angrier. I see incompetence among the senior leadership of BP and Transocean, who were responsible for these men and they failed to do what was required. They hesititated to implement the safety protocols until too late to prevent tragedy and then when they did act it resembled amateur hour. Those who survived appeared to survive because some people acted on their own authority. They compounded this systemic incompetence with additional decisions made against the urgings of Transocean and Halliburton experts to substitute sea water for heavy mud which likely reduced the time margin otherwise available when this gas pocket let loose. Yes, it was likely a very powerful gas pocket, but these things have happened before. That's why the safety protocols were in place.

The hell of it is that had someone summoned the courage to bypass the rules and press the switch, he would have prevented disaster, but some corporate suit would have fired him for violating their standing rules! Since that did not happen, these same suits are walling up their public relations disaster effort. But, this one's too large.

They look stupid and negligent because that's what they were!

And good men died because of it!

Ken

Ken Stallings
May 29th, 2010, 12:17
Hey All,

Why would a BP Exec go to prison if we can't put bank CEO's and politicians who introduce and pass bad laws in prison?

This I see is one of the biggest problems in America and elsewhere - the lack of accountability by those who hold high office in corporations or government.

That said we'll see where this goes.

-Ed-

Oh I agree. But my personal view is I'm damned tired of seeing the executives have no qualms about taking the big bucks then not having the same willingness to step forward and assume responsibility when they make bad decisions.

I want a renewed environment of accountability. Like you I am tired of seeing these overpaid executives live a life of royal privilege without the associated level of duty and obligation.

Ken

jmig
May 29th, 2010, 13:44
I think there will be people who will go to jail. Or, at least will be brought to trial for negligence. The Obama administration is looking into the criminal side of this disaster. It is my opinion that often the decision to prosecute or not is a political one rather than true criminal. In this case the political focus will be to find a scapegoat or two and figuratively hang them. I believe that will happen.

I also believe the CEO of BP will be retiring soon.