PDA

View Full Version : Computer frustration factor HIGH...........

Navy Chief
May 27th, 2010, 13:09
Ok, a few weeks ago, I received a new video card; a MSI nVidia GeForce GTX260 Twin Frozr OC 896 MB. No display was produced on my monitor. I did the usual checking of connections, etc....but couldn't find any reason for the problem. After further troubleshooting, I determined that my power supply wasn't powerful enough, so I ordered a new one (a Corsair CMPSU-1000HX 1000-Watt HX.

Well, I spent a couple hours removing/replacing the power supply, and hooking up all the new cables.

STILL nothing. GRRRrrrr...... I checked the MSI website for support, and from what I gathered, I would have to send them a email with A LOT of information. Instead, I am returning the video card, and asking for a replacement.

Sometimes things go smoothly, and then there are days.........

NC

Toastmaker
May 27th, 2010, 13:47
Murphy's Law. . . . If I ever meet this particular "Murphy", he'll be left with a hole between his eyes.

:running:

demorier
May 27th, 2010, 22:34
Did the replacement work ??? Been through some computer problems myself a short time ago.

Navy Chief
May 28th, 2010, 05:58
Did the replacement work ??? Been through some computer problems myself a short time ago.

I only just ordered a replacement. Should receive it around June 9th. Am shipping back the first video card today. Gotta say this for Amazon.com, I have always, ALWAYS, had great customer service from them!

NC

Snuffy
May 28th, 2010, 07:03
I only just ordered a replacement. Should receive it around June 9th. Am shipping back the first video card today. Gotta say this for Amazon.com, I have always, ALWAYS, had great customer service from them!

NC

I believe the repair tool of choice sits in your Garage Pete ... its that 20lb sledgehammer. :)

Sorry to hear the power supply didn't work ... I guess the next question would have been whether your motherboard was set up to adopt to the card, meaning ... was there a power plug near the video card slot? I know for my system I have an SLI configuration and I have two power ports where I have to physically plug connectors into the board circutry to sustain the cards.

Just sayin ... :mixedsmi:

Bjoern
May 28th, 2010, 11:35
Corsair CMPSU-1000HX 1000-Watt HX

Holy heck!

That's like powering a Bug with a J79!

Navy Chief
May 28th, 2010, 12:26
I believe the repair tool of choice sits in your Garage Pete ... its that 20lb sledgehammer. :)

Sorry to hear the power supply didn't work ... I guess the next question would have been whether your motherboard was set up to adopt to the card, meaning ... was there a power plug near the video card slot? I know for my system I have an SLI configuration and I have two power ports where I have to physically plug connectors into the board circutry to sustain the cards.

Just sayin ... :mixedsmi:

Well, I think I have that covered. There were two power inputs for the MB, which I connected. The card itself powers up just fine. You may have something there, and will check into it. Will let ya know. Thanks. NC

Navy Chief
May 28th, 2010, 13:16
Well, I posted about my problem on a forum for my motherboard (a DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR).

Maybe someone will offer some suggestions...............

NC

txnetcop
May 28th, 2010, 18:46
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Ted/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngDFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard Review
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1768

NavyChief if you look closely at this article there is 4 pin socket just just below the memory slots directly in front of a black capacitor, that must be plugged in in order to use your PCI-E 16x video card. You will see a label right in front of it on the edge of the motherboard.

The good news is that your motherboard does have two PCI-E 16x express video card slots. This board was way ahead of it's time even though AGP cards were still going strong then. Here's the sticky part I don't know if that 4V slot will be enough to power up the PCI-E 16x slot for your new video card. It should be, but I can't guarantee the results. 1200 watts is way overkill for that type of board, 600 watt 50A on +12V would have been more than enough as long as you fill that 4 pin socket on the motherboard along with your two six pins to your video card. . I have never used a motherboard with less than an 8pin socket slot on the motherboard for a PCI-E 16x video card. On your power supply you ordered should be two 4pin male socket cables one is all that is needed to fit in the four pin female socket. Anyway make sure this four pin socket is conneted to your power supply along with your two six pin sockets to the video card. Hope this helps
Ted

Cazzie
May 29th, 2010, 00:37
Chief, I feel yer pain. I went through the very same hassles with an nVidia 250 GTX card. Ended up I could not used it, got two 9600 GSOs and SLI'd them.

I have not heard much good from the 299 series of nVidia cards, but raves from the 480. May check into that when I build my new bug.

Caz

txnetcop
May 29th, 2010, 04:30
Chief, I feel yer pain. I went through the very same hassles with an nVidia 250 GTX card. Ended up I could not used it, got two 9600 GSOs and SLI'd them.

I have not heard much good from the 299 series of nVidia cards, but raves from the 480. May check into that when I build my new bug.

Caz

There is nothing wrong with the 200 series GTX cards just the GTS cards. The OC'd 260 is particularly nice.
Ted

Navy Chief
May 29th, 2010, 05:23
Yup, I have both of those plugged in/powered.

Am really hopeful the card is defective. Will know soon enough when the replacement arrives. Crossing fingers/toes.

Thanks!

NC

Navy Chief
May 30th, 2010, 04:17
Ok, got some updated information, possibly.

Someone replied from the DFI Forum I posted on, saying the following:

"GTX260 requires PCI-e 2.0 (your board is PCI-e 1.0)which is why it will power up but show no display."

And I read that there may be such a thing as a PCI-e 1.0 to 2.0 adapter.

Anyone know of such a product? If not, I can return the card for a refund, but I really need to upgrade my video card!

NC

kilo delta
May 30th, 2010, 04:23
That guy's yanking yer chain,NC as the GTX260 will run just fine on a PCI-e 1.0 board.

BPbobafett1982
May 30th, 2010, 04:40
Hey NC

The card should work just fine in a PCI-e 1.0 slot with no problems. I've got my BFG Nvidia GTX 275 OC running in one. Even though the card is a PCI-e 2.0 type.

I just had to make sure I had enough power (Thermaltake 750W PS), it uses both of my 6 pin PCI-e power connectors to run.

Brian

BPbobafett1982
May 30th, 2010, 04:47
Hey Chief

Just another thought I had; What type of card did you have installed before? And did you uninstall the drivers for it before you pulled the old card? I ran in to a problem kind of like this awhile before with a friends computer. He had switched from a ATI card to a newer Nvidia card and was having intermentent video issues.

Brian

Navy Chief
May 30th, 2010, 05:21
That guy's yanking yer chain,NC as the GTX260 will run just fine on a PCI-e 1.0 board.

Well, I did find this information, which does list the Bus standard of 2.0.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodvgaspec&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1488

Navy Chief
May 30th, 2010, 05:22
Hey Chief

Just another thought I had; What type of card did you have installed before? And did you uninstall the drivers for it before you pulled the old card? I ran in to a problem kind of like this awhile before with a friends computer. He had switched from a ATI card to a newer Nvidia card and was having intermentent video issues.

Brian

I am running a Nvidia 8800 GTS. I did uninstall the driver before installing the new card, which didn't have an effect, since I had no display on my monitor at all.

kilo delta
May 30th, 2010, 05:43
Well, I did find this information, which does list the Bus standard of 2.0.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodvgaspec&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1488

Hi NC,
That info just states that the card is designed to work under the PCI-e 2.0 architecture while still being backwards compatible with the earlier 1.0 slots.
Have you received the replacement card yet and if so have you got the same results? If so it could be due to the slot not having enough power ...as Ted mentioned here..

The good news is that your motherboard does have two PCI-E 16x express video card slots. This board was way ahead of it's time even though AGP cards were still going strong then. Here's the sticky part I don't know if that 4V slot will be enough to power up the PCI-E 16x slot for your new video card. It should be, but I can't guarantee the results

:)

Navy Chief
May 30th, 2010, 05:51
Hi NC,
That info just states that the card is designed to work under the PCI-e 2.0 architecture while still being backwards compatible with the earlier 1.0 slots.
Have you received the replacement card yet and if so have you got the same results? If so it could be due to the slot not having enough power ...as Ted mentioned here..:)

I should have the replacement card by June 3rd. I do have a new power supply installed though, which is a Corsair CMPSU-1000HX 1000-Watt HX, but it didn't work with the card I just sent back. Oh it powered it up, but no display. This power supply guarantees an output of 1000 watts, as I understand it. Something else is causing the problem, if the card itself is not malfunctioning.

NC