PDA

View Full Version : Orbx Releases 2S1 VASHON ISLAND - Now available for FREE download

JayKae
May 25th, 2010, 22:09
Payware quality scenery for free!

John 'Prof' Hockings has done a sublime job of creating two beautifully atmospheric airfields on Vashon Island. Here's some of the features you will get in this V1.0 release:

- Photoreal ground imagery at three locations, full seasons, night lighting
- Fully integrated into FTX NA BLUE Pacific Northwest
- 2S1 Vashon Muni Airport
- WA69 Wax Orchards Airfield
- Boat harbors and ferries
- Vashon Village
- Unique vegetation, bushes and grasses
- Great collection of static aircraft
- Sloping runway (2S1 is a VERY challenging airport!)
- A control panel to allow custom vegetation and also airshow mode
- Dozens aof unique hangars modeled from hundreds of photos taken on-site
- Full support of the 2S1 airport management committee
- 20 page full user guide
- Great FPS and wonderful atmosphere!

Download by clicking on the link --> http://myftx.com/FTX_AU_BLUE/FTXUS2S1100.zip

spotlope
May 25th, 2010, 22:26
How funny, I just flew into there for the first time tonight, using a late beta copy. I really like what he did with vegetation. It's some of the best shrubs, grass, and undergrowth I've seen for any scenery yet. This is a fun one, and a little challenging, too.

deathfromafar
May 25th, 2010, 22:36
Just downloaded it and will install shortly. What a nice gesture making this quality of scenery freeware! Thank you!:salute:

Tylerb59
May 25th, 2010, 22:38
Awesome!!! Thank you!!!! I'm loving my PNW scenery, living local. :)

mrogers
May 25th, 2010, 23:09
Cool! Thanks!

Cirrus N210MS
May 25th, 2010, 23:26
great work guys!

Dain Arns
May 26th, 2010, 07:24
How funny, I just flew into there for the first time tonight, using a late beta copy. I really like what he did with vegetation. It's some of the best shrubs, grass, and undergrowth I've seen for any scenery yet. This is a fun one, and a little challenging, too.

Nice little 'dogleg' to up to the 'green' on 2S1.
Least that's the way it looked, coming in at about 90kts this a.m.
Was interesting getting the Kodiak in there on the 'fairway' this morning.
Might have to replace a runway edge light or two...
Glad the Kodiak has a reversible prop. :icon_lol:

Great airport for low and slow. :applause:

OleBoy
May 26th, 2010, 07:40
A little candy in the candy dish. I like it. FSX doesn't work well on my machine at all. Just one big stuttering slide show.

Nice to be able to try your great scenery :)

Thank you

Edit: Looks like I won't be trying it. My machine about flatlined just reading the recommended settings. The pictures in the manual sure look impressive

pbearsailor
May 26th, 2010, 07:44
This is really really good. My world keeps shrinking--used to be the whole world, then it was PNW, and today I can't get off Vashon Island. Back and forth between 2S1 and the Orchard in Luscombes and J-3's and Super Cubs. Watch out for those power lines.

Thanks so much for this. :jump:

cheers,
steve :wavey:

ryanbatc
May 26th, 2010, 09:03
Hey it looks really nice but it's a FPS killer...

I get about 17 fps in default c172 vc... without the scenery I get 30 locked

With any sort of quality payware VC it's unflyable...

I will mention PNW also has this effect. MY settings are turned down quite low to begin with...

mal998
May 26th, 2010, 09:16
Great scenery...Thanks!

skyhawka4m
May 26th, 2010, 09:35
outstanding...tank you for a great addition. Getting between 25 and 35 FPS.....very nice!

ryanbatc
May 26th, 2010, 09:48
outstanding...tank you for a great addition. Getting between 25 and 35 FPS.....very nice!

What system do you have?

It can be hard to tell if you have a fast/modern system.... You need to uncheck vsync and run unlimited and see what the average is with the scenery enabled and disabled.

A lot of people say "no fps hit or no issues here" yet they all have fast PC's and don't notice anything since they lock at 30 or 40fps

Dain Arns
May 26th, 2010, 10:14

Ditto. (Low 40's for the top end actually)
With heavy, overcast weather today in the Seattle area to boot.

Scenery to Extremely Dense and Autogen to normal, on a two year old system.
Even running traffic.
Then again, I stripped out all of the old recommended tweaks and switched, to the letter, the tweak as prescribed by Mr. Altuve, plus his 3.0 shaders.

I love WA69 Wax Orchards, BTW!:jump:

Roger
May 26th, 2010, 10:45
Marvellous!
Many thanks guys:ernae:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/vachon-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/vachon-2.jpg

skyhawka4m
May 26th, 2010, 11:32
What system do you have?

It can be hard to tell if you have a fast/modern system.... You need to uncheck vsync and run unlimited and see what the average is with the scenery enabled and disabled.

A lot of people say "no fps hit or no issues here" yet they all have fast PC's and don't notice anything since they lock at 30 or 40fps

I'm running my system at the "recommended" settings from ORBX. I wondeer why someone would want to run anything other than what is recommended by the developer. I would think the developer would have a very good idea of the FPS issues.

My system is not a top of the line. I have an i5 650, with 8gb ram, and an ATI 5500. All setting on the card are maxed except anti-aliasnig which is set at 75%.

IanHenry
May 26th, 2010, 12:31
Just great, made for the A2A Piper Cub I think!

Thanks,
Ian

Roger
May 26th, 2010, 12:58
More...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/vachon-3.jpg

Roger
May 26th, 2010, 13:15
The other airfield with the pack, WA69...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/vachon-4.jpg

robcap
May 26th, 2010, 14:08
Wonderfull, and even 2 fields included.
This gives me an other area of PNW to explore, normaly I'm around the high mountains.
This deserves a sticky maybe?

R.

doublecool
May 26th, 2010, 16:38
Interesting what would cause the all black aircraft in the background

anthony31
May 26th, 2010, 18:25
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the windsocks at the smaller airfield are off by about 90 deg. I set up the wind from the west and the socks show it coming from the north. The larger airfield (Vashon?) doesn't have the same issue.

It's also a pity the grass causes aircraft crashes (even the tiny little flowers). Impossible to taxi about Vashon with detect crashes on.

Apart from that, two nice little airfields and much appreciated. I actually have somewhere interesting to fly to in PNW now.

Prof
May 27th, 2010, 00:04
Hi everyone. I've never posted over here before but glad to say hello and glad most of you are enjoying the scenery. Special thanks to Bill for his comments, what an honour to have those words coming from the 'master'.

I'm not sure about the 90 degree error in the WA69 windsocks but thanks for pointing it out, and if it needs to be changed we'll fix it in a patch. I know I need to remove some crash boxes for those who fly with crashes enabled, so I can look into the windsocks at the same time.

I'm also not sure why one of you has the missing textures on the statics, but we're looking into that too.

I'm greatly enjoying listening to everyone's tales of landing at the strip!

cheers
John Hockings (aka Prof)

Zorg_DK
May 27th, 2010, 02:45
Congrats on the two beautiful crafted airfields. I'm really enjoying them a lot. The bushes and trees look amazing when coming in on 17. The first time I found the 2S1 and did an approach was very exciting and felt very real.

I hope that Orbx will make airfields with even more big bushes and tress just like on 2S1. It gives a very nice realistic 3d effect.

Cazzie
May 27th, 2010, 03:36
Y'all are simply the best Orbx crew. :ernae:

I wish you'd consider the US southeast with the Appalachian Mtns. :santahat::guinness: I'd pay dearly.

Caz

Cazzie
May 27th, 2010, 04:29
The low frame rates come when you're looking at Seattle I bet, Seattle is a frame killer, not Vashon Island.

Super job Orbx gang, took off from Wax Orchard and flew the length to Vashon Municipal.

The Bleriot XI is the perfect airplane for scenery like this! :ernae:

Caz

limjack
May 27th, 2010, 06:28
Thankyou Orbx and for all who posted the screenies. It looks great and love the grasses (achoooeeeeee, hay fever) and I will be downloading as well. :applause::applause::applause:

Jim

limjack
May 27th, 2010, 07:33
I going to have to work on my skills getting into this airfield!!!!

Jim

anthony31
May 27th, 2010, 20:36
These lines added to the FSX.cfg can help debug missing texture problems like the black aircraft. They are added to the [SCENERY] section (don't create a new [scenery] section)

[SCENERY]
// To show alerts or areas, set to = 1
// To hide alerts or areas, set to = 0

// Alert for missing textures
ShowMissingTextureAlert=1

// Alert for missing objects
MissingLibraryAlert=1

// Render Trigger areas as visible boxes
ShowTriggers=1

Make sure you turn off ShowMissingTextureAlert when you have finished debugging as it can be really annoying having messages constantly pop up.

I'm also with Cazzie on the framerates. There is a bit of a hit with the airports but nothing too great (only 3 or 4 fps when running at 25-30 fps). Seattle city and KSEA seem to be the ones causing the framerate problems as far as I can tell.

+1 on the bushes and grasses. I've never liked the grass ORBX place around their airports and always delete it but what the Prof has done with the grass for these 2 airfields is much much better.

ramsa329
May 27th, 2010, 22:15
I too would like to add my praise for this great freeware.

I also have the same problem of missing textures on some of the planes which is puzzling since I actually run this on two different machines with duplicate installations and only see the black textures on the e8600 dual core with a 260GTX while the quad core is absolutely fine.

Puzzling

I added the lines to my .cfg but didn't see any results maybe I need further clarification as to what I should be looking for.

EDIT:

I have now found my mistake (error copying)

and am getting 3 GUID errors and 4 texture loading errors which seem to be associated to the missing textures:

DAB9276E-46E5-F44C-074C-25A800C9B023

B203C663-2EA2432F-8462-F08B7D97E654

000BEB16-4B8C-8BDC-AFA4-E78611ED5CF2

SIERRA_001.BMP

TURBO ARROWIV_001.BMP

PA28_001.BMP

C172_N944LAQ.BMP

Maybe this will help someone to find a solution.

Thanks

marklaur
May 27th, 2010, 23:11
I am also getting some black textures, and slow downs.

Not sure but in my case I think the textures are just not loading.

My rig is a 3.1 E8500 with GTX 280 video XP 32 bit 4 gig ram. I find quiet a lot of scenery gives me black textures that often pop in when I get up close. The main reason I still use FS204 the most.

I love the scenery but I loose too many FPS for it to be a regular place to fly

Cheers MarkL

Zorg_DK
May 27th, 2010, 23:22
I posted some screenshots of 2S1 over at flightsim.com:

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?p=1467093#post1467093

mal998
May 28th, 2010, 03:54
8917 8915
8916 8914

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

ramsa329
May 28th, 2010, 08:37
I found a solution to the black textures problem at 2S1.

It was solved by installing the "KB Static Aircraft Library" found at http://www.kb-sim.com/

I now have a perfect and smooth 2S1

N2056
May 28th, 2010, 17:40
Thanks for this great bit of scenery :applause:
I think my Pietenpol might have found a new home base :)

ryanbatc
May 28th, 2010, 19:07
I love the scenery but I loose too many FPS for it to be a regular place to fly

Cheers MarkL

Yep this is what I experience...

It's not looking at Seattle either... this is simple looking at the airfield.... stutters appear and fps drop 40%. Look away off to the west towards Olympic mtns.... fps go up.

Cazzie
May 29th, 2010, 00:49
The other airfield with the pack, WA69...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/vachon-4.jpg

Nice screen capture Roger.

doublecool
May 30th, 2010, 02:13
This never got a sticky :kilroy:

doublecool
July 2nd, 2010, 14:16
I found a solution to the black textures problem at 2S1.

It was solved by installing the "KB Static Aircraft Library" found at http://www.kb-sim.com/

I now have a perfect and smooth 2S1

Where did you install it...for the fix

funny how I injoy this scenery so much that even though the planes are still black I don't notice so much...:mixedsmi: