PDA

View Full Version : Mamasox Rocks!

EasyEd
May 25th, 2010, 20:13
Hey All,

I rarely watch reality stuff like American Idol but since the computer I use is now about 10 ft from the TV my wife watches I see American Idol and some of the other shows like that that she watches. This year I must confess I've been cheering for a girl with more grit, talent, ability and soul than any singer I've seen on the show over the years that I've seen pieces of it and yes that includes Carrie Underwood and this from a guy who listens to country and bluegrass 90+% of the time. I know of no way to characterize her other than - real - real in the way Janis Joplin was only softer. And to tell you the truth I don't like a lot of her music but her talent is absolutely undeniable. These I really like.

rquWeNjl_ao&feature=related

eICsQLPgI2k

If you made it this far you can see a couple of her Idol performances here.

Z-niRO5IpBA&feature=related

5HpPmg6bqDU&feature=related

I'll be watching tomorrow night to hopefully see Crystal Bowersox win this thing.

-Ed-

Tako_Kichi
May 25th, 2010, 21:03
I'd not seen or heard of her before but she is damn good and I wish her well.

OBIO
May 25th, 2010, 21:23
Yep, she's been a stand out for sure...nothing bubblegum pop about her, her singing style or her songs. Deb and I were watching AI tonight (well, last night now) and I told Deb that Crystal reminded me of Bonnie Raitt, Mellissa Etheridge, Joan Jett and Blondie all rolled into one package. There is no one in the modern music industry like her...she is a definite stand out, a unique voice, a unique style...a real talent. Granted, Lee Whatshisname is good...reminds me of Vince Gill and Harry Connick Jr....but even he isn't that far removed from the sound and style of a number of modern male performers.

OBIO

TARPSBird
May 25th, 2010, 21:34
Very talented young lady. I'd love to hear her do a cover of Janis's "Piece Of My Heart", I think she's got the voice to really nail it.

EDIT: I was right, she does have the right voice! :)

ZB2HD7CnUI8

EasyEd
May 25th, 2010, 22:20
Hey All,

Crystal Bowersox doin Janis...

HPoB2qD6pns

Not as raw as Janis - it's done the Mamasox way - anything she does she does her way and it always works.

-Ed-

TARPSBird
May 25th, 2010, 22:33
It was a bit different from Janis but a real good cover. Not to derail the thread from Crystal, but if you believe in reincarnation Jennifer Espinoza (see vid) could very well be Janis recycled. :)

dNqymYu6no8

b52bob
May 26th, 2010, 08:36
We kind a got hooked on AI and I thought from the very first that she would be in the finals.

Everything she has done, in all sorts of genres, has been outstanding. She deserved to win.

My one big gripe about AI is that mostly young girls vote for the cute ones. I do like Lee and I won't be too upset if he wins (both for sure will be signed to a contract) but Bowersox deserves to get it all!

Tako_Kichi
May 26th, 2010, 11:12
It was a bit different from Janis but a real good cover. Not to derail the thread from Crystal, but if you believe in reincarnation Jennifer Espinoza (see vid) could very well be Janis recycled. :)
Wow!....I have always admired Janis but this girl just made the hair stand up on the back of my neck (literally!) and she sent cold shivers down my spine too...damn she's good!

Makes me wish I was still working in the recording industry, I would love to get her in a studio and see what other songs she can do.

Bjoern
May 26th, 2010, 16:56
Are there any candidates at those game shows at all who actually *rock*?

All I usually hear is boring music, regardless of genre. xP

MaddogK
May 26th, 2010, 18:13
Yet again, the AI winner was NOT the most talented. Seems the winners need the most help from writers and studios to sell records. At least the losers aren't under contract to sing Kara's ramblings.

I'm STILL laughing at the Jennifer Hudson cut a few seasons ago.

luckydog
May 26th, 2010, 18:16
:angryfir::isadizzy:

EasyEd
May 26th, 2010, 18:23
Hey All,

Unfriggin believable! My theory is being "mainstream" and having the right "looks" is all people vote for. It's a popularity contest not a talent contest. Disgusting! I'll buy her CDs any way.

-Ed-

Willy
May 26th, 2010, 18:51
From what I've seen on how well most of the winners of AI do, maybe it might be a better thing to come in second. The only one that I've seen that has done well is Carrie Underwood.

OBIO
May 26th, 2010, 21:37
From what I've seen on how well most of the winners of AI do, maybe it might be a better thing to come in second. The only one that I've seen that has done well is Carrie Underwood.

Yep...that is true enough. A few years ago, "Soul Patrol" won it, and his releases have been pretty unsuccessful. Chris Daugherty and Eliot Yahmeen were "losers" and their careers have been pretty hot...Daugherty especially...he is still on tour!

I was disappointed that Crystal did not win...would have liked to have seen her get that million dollar prize money...but I have no fear that she will not soon be signed to a label who appreciates her singing and writing talents and that she will be raking in dough enough to care for herself and her baby boy. I know I will buy her releases.

OBIO

Bjoern
May 27th, 2010, 08:08
From what I've seen on how well most of the winners of AI do, maybe it might be a better thing to come in second.

On the german edition of AI, a half finalist dropped out because he wasn't allowed to do music he liked if he had won. He is now happily singing for his indie rock band.