PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the A-7

Dag
May 25th, 2010, 10:17
Hi,

I have mostly been doing lines, rivets and fasteners on the main fuselage. I expect it to become Greek but not for a while yet.
http://www.dagrs.net/screenshots/A-7_rev.jpg

Sorry for the huge shot, I wanted to show some details.

Thanks

JensOle
May 25th, 2010, 10:58
Details to the "Dag" standard! Looking forward to see the rest.

Regards
Jens-Ole

fsafranek
May 25th, 2010, 11:01
Details to the "Dag" standard! Looking forward to see the rest.

Regards
Jens-Ole
Absolutely! :salute:
:ernae:

mike_cyul
May 25th, 2010, 12:22
Looks great so far! :applause:

Mike

Navy Chief
May 25th, 2010, 12:38
Looks great!

I have lots of memories of removing/reinstalling many of those panels!!!!!!!!

NC

Matt Wynn
May 25th, 2010, 14:16
yeah yeah Greek it *Bouncing off the walls* darn this sense of affection for my birth-country :icon_lol:

falcon409
May 25th, 2010, 15:17
Ah, the master at work I see. Great to see you on the job there Dag.:salute:

Bone
May 25th, 2010, 18:48
I just got FSrepaint V.2 in the mail today. Will it be able to do that kind of detail, or do I need to have Photoshop?

Matt Wynn
May 26th, 2010, 03:10
what you can do bone is repaint in photoshop and preview in FSrepaint, just save it and then go into fsrepaint, right click the plane, hit reload aircraft and see what you've just done. fsrepaint is a great and handy program, i have been using it years without any issue, and in my opinion it remains one of the repainters best friends...

Dag if you plan to greek it go to www.haf.gr, then click on the link that says 'Media' then in first drop down box just below there select 'εικόνες', then in the next dropdown select 'αεροσκάφη' then in the text box type A-7 and hit enter, a whole plethora of greek A-7 goodness awaits ;)

Dimus
May 26th, 2010, 03:19
Dag if you plan to greek it go to www.haf.gr (http://www.haf.gr), then click on the link that says 'Media' then in first drop down box just below there select 'εικόνες', then in the next dropdown select 'αεροσκάφη' then in the text box type A-7 and hit enter, a whole plethora of greek A-7 goodness awaits ;)

Please Do!!!:jump:

My instructor flew those before he retired. He has the greatest affection and respect for this plane.

Dag
May 26th, 2010, 05:23
Thanks for all the kind words everybody and thanks for the A-7 links Smoothie. Rest assured, it'll get Greek first. I'll do at least two, one with the camo all the way down past the landing gear doors (like they were delivered) and one in the standard scheme with the light grey extending upwards like the A-7Hs.
The biggest shortcoming on FSRepaint is that it's internal editor is not capable of making layers so an FSRepaint setup for me as a standalone is no option. I use the ModelConverterX by Arno as a previewer and Corel Draw/PP and Adobe Photoshop products for making the textures.
I plan on doing some more tomorrow once the lawn is mowed (mowen?) :wiggle:

Thanks again

falcon409
May 26th, 2010, 05:27
I just got FSrepaint V.2 in the mail today. Will it be able to do that kind of detail, or do I need to have Photoshop?
Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. . .FSRepaint is good for minor color changes over an existing plain exterior, but for detailed work, you'll need one of the other two. FSRepaint is excellent for one thing. . .checking progress of the work you do. I keep Repaint open on one monitor, do the work in Paint Shop Pro, save and then refresh the aircraft in repaint and I instantly see the changes. Great for lining up camo patterns across several textures.

Bone
May 26th, 2010, 06:27
what you can do bone is repaint in photoshop and preview in FSrepaint, just save it and then go into fsrepaint, right click the plane, hit reload aircraft and see what you've just done. fsrepaint is a great and handy program, i have been using it years without any issue, and in my opinion it remains one of the repainters best friends...

;)

Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. . .FSRepaint is good for minor color changes over an existing plain exterior, but for detailed work, you'll need one of the other two. FSRepaint is excellent for one thing. . .checking progress of the work you do. I keep Repaint open on one monitor, do the work in Paint Shop Pro, save and then refresh the aircraft in repaint and I instantly see the changes. Great for lining up camo patterns across several textures.

Thanks. Falcon has mentioned before that FSrepaint is really only good for viewing the work, but I've never painted anything before so psychologically I'm looking at the easiest thing to start with, which is FSrepaint. I don't even have Photoshop, so I'll probably do a paint or two with FSrepaint to break the ice. Then I'll most likely acquire Photoshop.

I'm absolutely amazed at the rivet lines and panels Dag has been able to do on the A-7. Outstanding work!

falcon409
May 26th, 2010, 06:40
. . . .I'm absolutely amazed at the rivet lines and panels Dag has been able to do on the A-7. Outstanding work!
Yep, I would consider Dag one of the original "Master Repainters" in our hobby. He's been at it for a very long time and you can be assured that if Dag did the work, it's as detailed as any you'll find. He has a great eye for the little details that some either miss, or don't even know are there, lol.

Dag
May 26th, 2010, 11:05
:redface::redface: Well...Ron has furnished repainters with an excellent canvas to work on this time. Not the easiest of mapping but one with little or no texture stretch/distortion. That is the whole deal with detailed repaints.
True, I have an eye for detail. That can be downright destructive. I embark on some impossible project and in the end it'll never get finished. Then I become the evil himself and let it out on some poor developer that really has no clue what the heck I'm talking about. I only know myself, sometimes, since I am truly "damaged" after working around aircraft for a number of years. I see stuff I consider important and in the end nobody notice... oh well... I am the "Anorak" of repainters and a developers nightmare.
If Ron gives me an F-5A to play with he'll be sorry:wavey:

Anyway, Ed, Thanks for the below, very inspiring and thanks to JensOle for introducing me to FS repainting, some 11 years ago or so. It's his fault, he assisted in developing this monster I have in me ! :bump:

Yep, I would consider Dag one of the original "Master Repainters" in our hobby. He's been at it for a very long time and you can be assured that if Dag did the work, it's as detailed as any you'll find. He has a great eye for the little details that some either miss, or don't even know are there, lol.

Tweek
May 26th, 2010, 14:14
Delighted to hear you'll be doing a couple of Greeks. Although please, please, please try to get the sun-baked look you find on most, if not all HAF A-7s. It's the kind of repaint that needs to be 'done right' to look good, if you see what I mean:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/small/4/4/9/1567944.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Air/LTV-A-7E-Corsair/1567944/L/

This one a bit on the grubby side.
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/small/2/4/3/1539342.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Air/LTV-A-7E-Corsair/1539342/L/

Prowler1111
May 26th, 2010, 19:50
Not trying to hijack Dag´s thread, but here are is a Hellenic "Tiger" SLUFF (and yes, the Tiger SLUFF at Archangel Air Show in 2005 was an A-7E)

Best regards

Prowler

Matt Wynn
May 27th, 2010, 02:09
nice you seen the other HAF Display SLUFF's?

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/5821/a7epeteiakofp1.jpg
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/2/9/4/1387492.jpg

and of course... the aforementioned Tiger of 335 Μοίρα Βομβαρδισμού, all the HAF A-7's are part of 116 Πτέρυγα Μάχης (Combat wing), formerly using A-7H, TA-7H,A-7E and TA-7E, of which only the TA-7E and A-7E remain in service if i recall... theres a reason 335 have the tiger scheme, their squadron are "Τίγρης" (Tigers), and the top one just by the way it has hellow checkers on the tail and a fox will be 340MPA, now using F-16Advance with CFT's and post Peace Xenia IV refit...

nice little bit of information there :)

Dag
May 27th, 2010, 02:25
That is definitely good info Smoothie, that upper one looks cartoonish for real. I will concentrate on operational schemes.

Lenny
May 27th, 2010, 09:42
my request : 8861 or an standard camo of the PAF.

Thx

conork
May 28th, 2010, 10:32
Nice work :) looks good

Dag
May 28th, 2010, 11:08
Hi Lenny,

The A-7P is a reworked A-7A/B airframe and I don't believe RAZBAM will do that. I could have missed something...

Thanks

Navy Chief
May 28th, 2010, 11:21
Hi Lenny,

The A-7P is a reworked A-7A/B airframe and I don't believe RAZBAM will do that. I could have missed something...

Thanks

The A-7A/B model IS planned for a future release!!

NC

Prowler1111
May 28th, 2010, 11:50
The A-7 project is divided in 3 volumes, 1 E/D, 2 A/B/C/P, 3 K/L
We had to break it like that due to the gigantic coding involved.
Best regards
Prowler

Lenny
May 28th, 2010, 13:22
Well the future looks bright then.... looking forward to Part 1 of the Sluffs

Rattler
May 28th, 2010, 13:37
Thanks aging for taking the Time to Create A Wonderful Bird, I stand at the Ready with Creditcard in hand, Any word on When this Beast will drop? :salute::salute::salute:

Dag
June 24th, 2010, 06:54
Hi,

I have been working on an early HAF A-7E from about 1993. The below image shows progress. I ran into some problems with the wing leading edges on the early model I have here so I'll take a break from it until I buy the released product.

http://www.dagrs.net/screenshots/A-7E_HAF.jpg

Thanks

Rattler
June 24th, 2010, 07:36
dag You are the Man...very nice Indeed!!:applause::applause::applause:

Dag
June 25th, 2010, 00:17
Thanks !
Made it a bit dirty...
Mind you, I don't have access to the texture baking layers etc that has been incorporated of late.

VinFlyer
June 25th, 2010, 06:35
Looking mighty fine already Dag. I'm looking forward to the release of the A-7, and subsequently the nice paints you'll do for it. I really like the Greek cammo schemes, I might do some of the special paints if I like the paintkit that comes with it.

Navy Chief
June 25th, 2010, 07:04
When the A-7E is released, the squadrons included are but a fraction of the total USN units that flew them. I hope that eventually all of the squadrons (active and reserve) that flew this great aircraft will be represented. So many talented repainters out there, and I will be asking for help in populating the simulation flight line with Corsair IIs! Not just the E model, but the A/B/C too!

NC

Dag
August 14th, 2010, 07:47
Okay I have 2xHAF standard schemes 99% done and the below one is the NM ANG "Euro-1-type A-7" in the works. Green 34079/Grey 36081. Still a lot to do on it.
Man I like this aircraft :jump:

ColoKent
August 14th, 2010, 08:06
....since that NM ANG scheme is one (of many!) I really wanted. Back in about '85, when I was an LT at Whiteman AFB in Missouri, a NM ANG A-7D with just this scheme stopped on a rainy day to refuel during a cross country. Always liked the scheme from then on.

This airplane is PHENOMINAL, and I think sets a new standard for RAZBAM. Can't wait for the A-7K....and the new A-4s....and, and, and, and...

Just pure fun!

Kent

Rattler
August 14th, 2010, 12:00
Dag You are a man of your word, She is looking Great, I Cant Wait, This will Complete the A-7 for me,
:salute::salute::salute:

Dag
August 15th, 2010, 06:01
Hi,

Added the tail markings from vectors, tail # etc. Some subtle weathering around rivets mainly, this one will not be very dirty me thinks.

Thanks

txnetcop
August 15th, 2010, 06:09
Real nice Dag...that totally ROCKS!!!

Rattler
August 15th, 2010, 13:40
Dag, that piant job is bringing back some Great Memories for me as a Yougster, Watching the Taco Squadron rip up the sky over Biggs Army Airfield In El Paso Tx in the Mid 80`s.. Dag is the Master of Repaints!!! :salute::salute::salute:

Dag
August 17th, 2010, 01:45
Hi,

I will probably have uploaded these two here at SOH by tomorrow morning. All my repaints will have external textures in 2048 (diff/bump/spec) but in DXT5 format, not 32-bit (4MB vs 16 MB file size).

Thanks

Dag
August 18th, 2010, 01:52
3 paint jobs uploaded to the SOH library under FSX skins including the two above.

Thanks

Rattler
August 18th, 2010, 13:12
Thank you Dag, It looks just as I remembered the Ole Taco Squadron Birds.. You Are a Master At you Craft Sir!!!:salute::salute::salute:

Dag
August 18th, 2010, 13:34
Thank you Dag, It looks just as I remembered the Ole Taco Squadron Birds.. You Are a Master At you Craft Sir!!!:salute::salute::salute:

My pleasure Sir :-)

tpet
August 18th, 2010, 13:47
Awsome job Dag, as always...Thank you for your time and effort.

doublecool
August 18th, 2010, 15:35
Thanks Dag :wavey:just made a great Aircraft Doublecool

RobH
August 18th, 2010, 16:23
Thank you Dag! Downloading them now!:salute:

Rattler
August 18th, 2010, 20:13
Oh Ya!!!!

Dag
August 19th, 2010, 05:50
Thanks a lot everyone :-) There'll be more painting next week, gonna work all weekend, away from the A-7 :-(

Thanks

VinFlyer
August 19th, 2010, 06:33
Outstanding Dag! :applause: Not that I'd expected anything less from you. Now I've got even more reason to buy this A7 :jump: