PDA

View Full Version : MAW: Fezzan campaigns mission pack

Led Zeppelin
May 24th, 2010, 12:16
This serie of 4 missions have been build with the few historical informations I've collected about these two campaigns in the Fezzan.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=9&linkid=982

Aircraft flown: Lysander, Cr42, Ca311

After the fall of Koufra in march 1941, Free French troops leaded by General Leclerc started operations in the Fezzan against Italian troops and espacially the well trained and experienced Sahariana di Cufra company (february-march 1942). This campaign was a success as Italian troops suffered significant losses.
In january 1943, a second operation was launched by General Leclerc but this time, it was a real offensive and the goal was to capture the Fezzan and continue into Lybia to join the 8th Army. This second campaign was also a complete success for the Free French troops that cleared the Fezzann from Axis forces and joined the 8th army at Tripoli on january 26th 1943.

Here below is a link to a video with some images taken during the second campaign. This video and comments was made during WWII:
http://www.ina.fr/histoire-et-conflits/seconde-guerre-mondiale/video/I00009139/fevrier-42-janvier-43-leclerc-au-fezzan-libye.fr.html

Note: the Fezzan is not on CFS3 map, it's located south of Lybia.

Informations about the 2 first recon missions: they have been build with random spawns, the objective to find is outside the tactical display and not always at the same location... it can take some time to find it!! Well, these are real recon missions, it's not only 'take off - press x - drop bombs and come back home'.

Enjoy! :jump:

gaw
May 24th, 2010, 15:55
Led...............thanks...anything to keep MAW alive is great....and your's are always pain free and fun to fly. thanks...gaw

Murray Cod
May 28th, 2010, 05:33
thanks LZ, they are good fun missions. Is there anyway in Mission 4 (attack the enemy stuck in the sand) to have the enemy vehicles shoot back as they were a bit passive. Maybe they have given up on the war and want to surrender?

cheers
MS

Old Tiger
May 28th, 2010, 06:35
thanks LZ, they are good fun missions. Is there anyway in Mission 4 (attack the enemy stuck in the sand) to have the enemy vehicles shoot back as they were a bit passive. Maybe they have given up on the war and want to surrender?

cheers
MS

:salute:They are very good missions. I agree with Murrie to have the enemy vehicles shoot back. BTW LZ there are two spawn files one called spawns and one called stock spawns. Do you put em both in? Or is the stock one just a back up?
Thanks,

Len

Led Zeppelin
May 28th, 2010, 08:23
Stock spawns is just a backup.
In fact, there is an issue with the no spawn mode in MAW so, I've reworked the stock spawns in order to have a No Spawn Mode while playing in Legacy Mode.

About mission #4: vehicules don't move because they are stuck in soft sand just as what really happened. I don't know if there is a way in CFS3 for a vehicules to make dust while it's speed is 0. Maybe, I should have tried a speed of 0.0001?

I placed some trucks with AA machine guns but they are not dangerous, I've never been hit (I checked and they really fire). I didn't placed any heavier AA guns (20mm or 40mm) because Free French troops were simply not equipped with them.

I wanted to add Free French troops walking in order to have allied troops moving but it seems that I completely forget to do it.... :isadizzy:

Old Tiger
May 29th, 2010, 02:52
:salute:Thanks Led, thats what I thought

Stock spawns is just a backup.
In fact, there is an issue with the no spawn mode in MAW so, I've reworked the stock spawns in order to have a No Spawn Mode while playing in Legacy Mode.

About mission #4: vehicules don't move because they are stuck in soft sand just as what really happened. I don't know if there is a way in CFS3 for a vehicules to make dust while it's speed is 0. Maybe, I should have tried a speed of 0.0001?

I placed some trucks with AA machine guns but they are not dangerous, I've never been hit (I checked and they really fire). I didn't placed any heavier AA guns (20mm or 40mm) because Free French troops were simply not equipped with them.

I wanted to add Free French troops walking in order to have allied troops moving but it seems that I completely forget to do it.... :isadizzy:

mthrift
May 31st, 2010, 06:13
LZ,

Thanks much for this mission set . . . you've reinvigorated my interest in MAW!

Also, I really appreciate the content of the missions themselves. They gave me a real appreciation for how hard it would have been to find ANY targets out there in those vast expanses. My first thought was that, with all that open space and nowhere to hide, spotting them would be easy. Of course, that wasn't so at all. The targets seem so small and are so easy to miss when camouflaged and mixed in with the terrain. Unfortunately, my crew were no help at all! :jump:

Excellent work! Cheers to you! :ernae:

Michael

Led Zeppelin
May 31st, 2010, 09:54
thanks for your comments.