PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Blue Angels question

tigisfat
May 23rd, 2010, 22:52
Does anyone know how the Blues travel across the country? Do they setup more standard cross country formations for fighter or do they fly in the delta the whole way? I have no idea, and I've never been able to find the answer. I can imagine if they do fly in the delta formation the whole way that they at least adjust the set out a little further.

I figured this would be a good place to ask, because of the crazy amount of military knowledge here.

TARPSBird
May 24th, 2010, 01:18
Tig, it's not a weird question at all. :) I've never seen the Blues in transit, just airborne during shows or arriving/departing the bases I've been at. I posed your question to the F-8 Crusader list I belong to, there are a couple former Blues among the list membership so hopefully I'll get an authoritative answer for you.

Bone
May 24th, 2010, 02:04
I saw them go by a few years ago up in the flight levels. It was a loose formation, side by side and in trail. The side by side ones had one or two hundred feet between them

Cazzie
May 24th, 2010, 02:56
All eight Hornet (there are two two-seaters also) will generally fly together, not in tight formation. At times one of the two-seaters will fly ahead for publicity purposes. The Narrator and Events Coordinator fly in the rear of the two seaters, both are F/A-18 pilots. As all know, the ground crew fly in "Fat Albert".

Caz

tigisfat
May 24th, 2010, 12:10
I saw them go by a few years ago up in the flight levels. It was a loose formation, side by side and in trail. The side by side ones had one or two hundred feet between them

Huh, I guess that answer that. I had actually imagined that, because I think I've read that's fairly standard for fighters to set up box formations.

tigisfat
May 24th, 2010, 12:11
Tig, it's not a weird question at all. :) I've never seen the Blues in transit, just airborne during shows or arriving/departing the bases I've been at. I posed your question to the F-8 Crusader list I belong to, there are a couple former Blues among the list membership so hopefully I'll get an authoritative answer for you.

Thanks! I know things change with each and every team of blues that comes through the pipes, so I'll be interested to hear what your guys come up with.

TARPSBird
May 24th, 2010, 17:56
Tig, so far I've received two almost identical responses to your formation question...

From a former Blues CO:
"The Blues usually fly in a loose delta when transiting. If we were going to be within sight of an airliner, we would tighten it up and sometimes the solo's would roll inverted as we passed."

From a former Blues team member:
"VERY, very loose delta unless Center tells us we're passing close to an airliner, then tighten it in to six to ten feet. We didn't try to fly tight at 41,000'."