PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter's band missing

Terry
May 22nd, 2010, 09:06
Clarke predicted this in his book and movie 2010. The result, another sun.

http://news.discovery.com/space/jupiters-cloud-band-vanishes-from-view.html

Bjoern
May 22nd, 2010, 09:08
Clarke predicted this in his book and movie 2010. The result, another sun.

Hooray, 12 months of summer! :jump: :d

Lionheart
May 22nd, 2010, 10:27
Thanks for the heads up Terry. That is wild.

We cannot realize how mammoth Jupiter is. For such a huge stripe to just vanish and on such a huge scale is pretty phenomenal.

Bill

HouseHobbit
May 22nd, 2010, 10:39
Yea And i am NOT giving it Back either..
Take That!!..
Anyone Have a need for a size 9 million ring??
OPPPS..
:applause::applause:

Matt Wynn
May 22nd, 2010, 11:45
no thanks HH, got me a new ring, its really quite remarkable, if i press use the 'index' i can wipe out sentient life in the galaxy :)

http://www.starfiretor.com/AerialDrones/48_Delta_Halo_Bungie.jpg

she's a beauty, and i suspect i'm now the worlds most wanted... :icon_lol:

tigisfat
May 22nd, 2010, 11:54
Yea And i am NOT giving it Back either..
Take That!!..
Anyone Have a need for a size 9 million ring??
OPPPS..
:applause::applause:

Would you guys quit talking about my mom like that?:icon_lol:

Bjoern
May 22nd, 2010, 13:12
Would you guys quit talking about my mom like that?:icon_lol:

Dammit, I wanted to pull that "your mom" joke! :icon_lol:

Cazzie
May 22nd, 2010, 16:32
I knew something looked different. I've observed Jupiter twice this past week. It is finally high enough in the early morning sky for observation. And something just looked different, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I last observed Jupiter as an evening object back in late March and the band was there!

Thanks Terry for the link, now I know what I was seeing was different and not my fading eyesight or the results of two Blue Moon wheat ales. :ernae:

Caz

magoo
May 22nd, 2010, 17:21
Jupiter is made out of neopolitan ice cream, milk, a few big cherries, with a blender in the middle. Somebody just turned the blender on high, that's all. It should be ready to drink in another twenty million years. Get a big straw ready, and be patient. These things take time.

OBIO
May 22nd, 2010, 23:34
Very interesting...but once again, a phrase was used in that article that I absolutely hate hearing: Gone Missing...."The SEB has gone missing before". Things and people do not GO MISSING...they freaking vanish, disappear, get lost...but nothing GOES MISSING. I am simply sick and tired of that phrase, which in my mind in just another example of how the media is making the world a dumber place, one piece of bad grammar at a time.

OBIO

Clarke123
May 23rd, 2010, 02:25
Very interesting...but once again, a phrase was used in that article that I absolutely hate hearing: Gone Missing...."The SEB has gone missing before". Things and people do not GO MISSING...they freaking vanish, disappear, get lost...but nothing GOES MISSING. I am simply sick and tired of that phrase, which in my mind in just another example of how the media is making the world a dumber place, one piece of bad grammar at a time.

OBIO
You sound like George Carlin :icon_lol:

!!!WARNING - CONTAINS ****ING BAD LANGUAGE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a26ZmLn39wY

tigisfat
May 23rd, 2010, 02:41

OBIO

I read about an article by a GA pilot who had a passenger freak out on him once. Center called and informed the pilot that they had lost radar contact with him. The passenger heard it and assumed that they were going to crash because the news reports frequently mention something like "radar contact with flight **** was lost and eyewitnesses saw the aircraft spiral into the ground".