PDA

View Full Version : pics from a recent flight.

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 01:23
I've forgotten just how much fun renting a Cessna 172 can be. I've also forgotten just how simple they truly are. I figured that I'd share some pics of a recent rental flight this week that I thoroughly enjoyed with you guys just for fun. I grew up in California but did most of my flight training and hours accumulaion in Texas at Elmdale and Abilene Regional in Abilene. It's been a pleasure flying out here. There's so much more to see.

I don't think I could ever forget all the 172's speeds, like Vy at 76KIAS, but I did forget just how poorly they climb with a maxed out load. I took three people up, and had to take half tanks to account for it. At 350FPM, I actually started reviewing all my engine trouble checklists for about 30 seconds before I remembered how normal it was for my weight.

Thanks for looking!! I hope you guys don't find this boring. I absolutely love when others post flight pictures, even if it's just taking an ultralight around the pattern.

me preflighting:
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/CathiAmerican/Flight%20with%20Walker%20Friday%20May%2014th%20201 0/DSC_0681.jpg

The beautiful Mt Diablo:
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/CathiAmerican/Flight%20with%20Walker%20Friday%20May%2014th%20201 0/DSC_0664.jpg

This valley hadn't been dammed before my departure for the USAF.
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/CathiAmerican/Flight%20with%20Walker%20Friday%20May%2014th%20201 0/DSC_0666.jpg

Near my house, in the footsteps of Mt Diablo.
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/CathiAmerican/Flight%20with%20Walker%20Friday%20May%2014th%20201 0/DSC_0672.jpg

heading out over the altamont pass
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/CathiAmerican/Flight%20with%20Walker%20Friday%20May%2014th%20201 0/DSC_0665.jpg

The disused (but surprisingly well maintained) concord naval weapons station.
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/CathiAmerican/Flight%20with%20Walker%20Friday%20May%2014th%20201 0/DSC_0662.jpg

beautiful hills and hwy 4 to antioch
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/CathiAmerican/Flight%20with%20Walker%20Friday%20May%2014th%20201 0/DSC_0674.jpg

short final for a full stop on 19L at Concord Buchanan:
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx70/CathiAmerican/Flight%20with%20Walker%20Friday%20May%2014th%20201 0/DSC_0679.jpg

PeteHam
May 21st, 2010, 01:37
Thanks for sharing your flight Tigisfat :applause:

I love to see what the areas are like where others fly :jump:

Pete.

JoeW
May 21st, 2010, 02:45
Thanks for posting this.

Snuffy
May 21st, 2010, 03:07
Looks like ya had a good time ... Thanks for the share!

:applause:

dominique
May 21st, 2010, 03:36
Nice ! Sharing appreciated... Brings back good memories.

TomSteber
May 21st, 2010, 04:10
Thanks Tigisfat!
Never bored looking at pics from members who fly. Would actually like to see more of them.
I cherish my small amount of airtime I have (with instructor) where pictures were taken.
That's one of my greatest losses from my recent HD crash. Thankfully, I had some others saved on a flash.

Here's a few:

TomSteber
May 21st, 2010, 04:19
A couple more:

NoNewMessages
May 21st, 2010, 06:08
I couldn't even begin to remember the number of nights I've spent either at the hotel at the SE corner of Buchanan or in the parking lot of the Sam's Club. It's beautiful country, once you get over the hill from Oakland.

Wonder if they ever finished all the road construction there in Walnut Creek??? Not that it probably helped a whole lot.

txnetcop
May 21st, 2010, 06:09
Hey Tigs my office window looked straight out at Mount Diablo. I worked at ADP on Crow Canyon Road for 10 years before that we were in Hayward. I used to fly Cessna out of Livermore-great airport...not too nutty over Hayward's airport Great pics
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Daveroo
May 21st, 2010, 06:38
very cool..thanks for posting

d0mokun
May 21st, 2010, 06:49
Awesome photos. Whereabouts in the US is that, Tig? Strangely reminds me of the South Island and makes me want to go flying again- haven't done it in a year! :-(

Photos below were taken on my last day where I used to roll...

Best
Dan.

Bjoern
May 21st, 2010, 07:27
I've enjoyed those pics. Thanks Tig!

Kiwikat
May 21st, 2010, 07:31
Cool photos everyone! Especially the ones of Green Bay. It is awesome seeing everyday places from the sky.

I wish I had brought a camera when I went up... :banghead:

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 13:06
Hey Tigs my office window looked straight out at Mount Diablo. I worked at ADP on Crow Canyon Road for 10 years before that we were in Hayward. I used to fly Cessna out of Livermore-great airport...not too nutty over Hayward's airport Great pics
Ted
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

Why'd you move?

Skittles
May 21st, 2010, 13:17
Why'd you move?

Presumably when he realized that you were in the vicinity with something fast and heavy....

:icon_lol:

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 13:51
Presumably when he realized that you were in the vicinity with something fast and heavy....

You talkin' about the 172 or my mom?:icon_lol:

(jk, she weighs about 120)

Bone
May 21st, 2010, 13:55
What a great day to fly, thanks for sharing!

txnetcop
May 21st, 2010, 14:24
Why'd you move?

If I tell...it will hurt some California feelings OK? I was born in Carolina but came to Texas as 1 year old and when ADP offered me a chance to go home I RAN as fast as I could! I get back to the Bay area quite a bit. I still have close friends out in Blackhawk, San Ramon, and Livermore. In fact, txnetwife and I will probably have a second honeymoon in Carmel.
Ted

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 14:46
If I tell...it will hurt some California feelings OK? I was born in Carolina but came to Texas as 1 year old and when ADP offered me a chance to go home I RAN as fast as I could! I get back to the Bay area quite a bit. I still have close friends out in Blackhawk, San Ramon, and Livermore. In fact, txnetwife and I will probably have a second honeymoon in Carmel.
Ted

<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

Why are Texans so rabid about Texas? I lived there for nine years. It's almost like you get sucked in and homestead, and you forget that there's no good produce, the terrain is ugly, some of the people are...well...nevermind (well I guess that's anywhere) and the weather is always HORRID. There are no good weather days in Texas. I'm amazed there's so much aviation there because I've had perfect flying weather maybe twice EVER.

txnetcop
May 21st, 2010, 15:01
Why are Texans so rabid about Texas? I lived there for nine years. It's almost like you get sucked in and homestead, and you forget that there's no good produce, the terrain is ugly, some of the people are...well...nevermind and the weather is always HORRID. There are no good weather days in Texas. I'm amazed there's so much aviation there because I've had perfect flying weather maybe twice EVER.

Where in Texas did you live under those conditions??? Based on your comment I can tell you have never hunted the hill country or been to Big Bend! There also an incredible long stretch of lost forest called Lost Maples. The coastal marsh lands are loaded with a huge variety of fish and game. It's the attitude and friendliness of the people here that make the difference. The corporate community I was apart of for 15 years in Northern CA was very plastic and superficial with some exceptions! I lived in Blackhawk in CA and while it was beautiful I got awfully tired of keeping up the homeowner's association demands. I couldn't fly my country's flag or display AIRBORNE on my car bumper without raising the IRE of the locals commies!

Ken Stallings
May 21st, 2010, 15:19
Why are Texans so rabid about Texas? I lived there for nine years. It's almost like you get sucked in and homestead, and you forget that there's no good produce, the terrain is ugly, some of the people are...well...nevermind and the weather is always HORRID. There are no good weather days in Texas. I'm amazed there's so much aviation there because I've had perfect flying weather maybe twice EVER.

Ah, well, perhaps for these reasons:

1. A government that believes in staying out of people's private lives.

2. Low taxes.

3. Relatively inexpensive real estate prices.

4. Good people who value honesty and common sense.

5. Terrain that contrary to what you say, is remarkably varied, ranging from pristine white sand beaches to mountains, to praries, to forests. Have you seen El Paso, Houston, Abilene, Lubbock? They are unique and interesting. Even the panhandle has its share of nice terran -- have you been to Caprock between Lubbock and Amarillo? It's very pretty! The river walk area in San Antonio is one of the most beautiful metropolitan areas I have ever seen!

6. Statewide among the lowest crime rates in the nation.

I'm reminded of the unoffiical slogan, "Don't mess with Texas!" There is a lot to love with this state.

I live in Portales, NM which is only twenty miles west of the Texas-NM border. I assure you having flown throughout Texas regularly, I've certainly enjoyed ideal VFR flying conditions on most days!

Ken

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 15:23
Where in Texas did you live under those conditions??? Based on your comment I can tell you have never hunted the hill country or been to Big Bend! There also an incredible long stretch of lost forest called Lost Maples. The coastal marsh lands are loaded with a huge variety of fish and game. It's the attitude and friendliness of the people here that make the difference. The corporate community I was apart of for 15 years in Northern CA was very plastic and superficial with some exceptions! I lived in Blackhawk in CA and while it was beautiful I got awfully tired of keeping up the homeowner's association demands. I couldn't fly my country's flag or display AIRBORNE on my car bumper without raising the IRE of the locals commies!

I flew to Marfa a few times and buzzed around the local area. Does that count as having visited Big Bend? :icon_lol: I've never heard of Lost Maples, the Texas I know is a Barren wasteland with no trees. That drive down 20 from Abilene to El Paso is downright brutally ugly and painstaking. Perhaps I missed out on the best of Texas. There's something about not having days off for four months at a time and being stuck out in the nearly uninhabitable foreign planet-like weather with no adequate protection that makes you dislike where you are. I like having a yard, too. Mowing the acre of hollow straw sticks over sunken and cracked, parched clay in the 116 degree weather that lasted 100 days out of the year got boring too. I finally stopped and let the desert reclaim my front yard. The corporate world in California can be brutal, but not as bad as Texas IMHO if you stay ahead of the pack. In Abilene I always felt that the 'friendly locals' were trying to rip me off and rob me blind every chance they got while they smiled big and shook your hand. The best barbecue in the world is in Texas backyards with old family recipes, but restaurant owners are to lazy to serve you the real thing every day.

I will sorely miss the Alliance airshow and Texas De Brazil though. I also missed the wildfires that smelled like the best barbecue you could imagine because of the mesquite brush.

What part of Texas is the hill country? I'd like to know so I can go explore in Google earth. I saw mostly what I would call 'uneven terrain'. There's a lot of misnomers around those parts.

txnetcop
May 21st, 2010, 15:25
You know Tigs we don't generally fly through the hurricanes and tornadoes we get down here periodically that could account for your lousy flying weather. Now I have only been flying down here for 12 years in this state, but I generally wait for sunny weather with just a little breeze and so far that has been the way it is. But hey I am happy you love staying in California. It is a wonderful state to visit!
Ted

txnetcop
May 21st, 2010, 15:30
I flew to Marfa a few times and buzzed around the local area. Does that count as having visited Big Bend? :icon_lol: I've never heard of Lost Maples, the Texas I know is a Barren wasteland with no trees. That drive down 20 from Abilene to El Paso is downright brutally ugly and painstaking. Perhaps I missed out on the best of Texas. There's something about not having days off for four months at a time and being stuck out in the nearly uninhabitable foreign planet-like weather with no adeuqate protection that makes you dislike where you are. I like having a yard, too. Mowing the acre of hollow straw sticks over sunken and cracked, parched clay in the 116 degree weather that lasted 100 days out of the year got boring too. I finally stopped and let the desert reclaim my front yard. The corporate world in California can be brutal, but not as bad as Texas IMHO if you stay ahead of the pack. In Abilene I always felt that the 'friendly locals' were trying to rip me off and rob me blind every chance they got while they smiled big and shook your hand. The best barbecue in the world is in Texas backyards with old family recipes, but restaurant owners are to lazy to serve you the real thing every day.

I will sorely miss the Alliance airshow and Texas De Brazil though. I also missed the wildfires that smelled like the best barbecue you could imagine because of the mesquite brush.

What part of Texas is the hill country? I'd like to know so I can go explore in Google earth. I saw mostly what I would call 'uneven terrain'. There's a lot of misnomers around those parts.

Well thank you for all of your experience and corporate wisdom!! LOL

N2056
May 21st, 2010, 15:56
Meanwhile...back on topic :jump:

8490 8487 8486 8488

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 15:57
You know Tigs we don't generally fly through the hurricanes and tornadoes we get down here periodically that could account for your lousy flying weather. Now I have only been flying down here for 12 years in this state, but I generally wait for sunny weather with just a little breeze and so far that has been the way it is. But hey I am happy you love staying in California. It is a wonderful state to visit!
Ted

Well, learning to fly in Texas did make me a proficient aviator. 15-20 knot crosswinds are almost standard in Abilene. If I waited for weather with only a little breeze, I'd have never gotten to fly. Texas pilots are some of the best in the world, at least the one's I've met. I rented a plane in Vegas and fought crosswinds down to a textbook touchdown; the instructor told me I was the most proficient pilot he'd ever flown with. I kept my mouth shut and was happy to recieve the compliment, but I knew I didn't know crap compared to all the other pilots I know in Abilene.

Most of my memories of flying in Texas revolve around trying to get my instrument rating in a Texas State Technical College warrior while being slammed around in 30knot winds at altitude and the constant summer thermals blasting me up and sucking me down. I got used to it for normal flights, so it wasn't a huge deal, but for instrument training it kinda stunk. Check Fresh Thyme Ad (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?fresh-thyme/) and Giant Eagle Ad (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?giant-eagle/). The thermals were in the same place every day, and I could nearly pre-empt all of them. There's a HUGE thermal right over the FAF for ILS 35R at Abilene, the local NDB. (TOHMI or something) I'd pull power when I got near it because I knew what was coming.

What kind of aircraft do you fly?

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 16:02
Meanwhile...back on topic :jump:

8490 8487 8486 8488

BEAUTIFUL!! power off 180?:ernae:

Hey TXnetcop, do you have any pics of flying we can see? :ernae:

txnetcop
May 21st, 2010, 16:36
Do you want my PPL or social security number? LOL

There are several people in here who know I was a pilot and one of them is a General on this forum. You get air Amigo
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

tigisfat
May 21st, 2010, 17:00
Do you want my PPL or social security number? LOL

There are several people in here who know I was a pilot and one of them is a General on this forum. You get air Amigo
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden><INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

huh? I was literally asking to see some pics, as a few posted here already. I mentioned earlier that I would like to see more flying pics from people here, and I meant it, and not as a call-out to anyone.

In another thread in 'FSX Discussion' I said I didn't doubt anyone here was a pilot. I meant that too.

You couldn't have taken any of this any more wrong, and I apologize, I should've worded it differently. Someone else thought it could be taken that way and PM'd me. That was the reason I sent you a PM to try to clear things up before you even wrote this post.

txnetcop
May 21st, 2010, 17:17
huh? I was literally asking to see some pics, as a few posted here already. I mentioned earlier that I would like to see more flying pics from people here, and I meant it, and not as a call-out to anyone.

In another thread in 'FSX Discussion' I said I didn't doubt anyone here was a pilot. I meant that too.

You couldn't have taken any of this any more wrong, and I apologize, I should've worded it differently. Someone else thought it could be taken that way and PM'd me. That was the reason I sent you a PM to try to clear things up before you even wrote this post.

My suggestion to you is to give it rest and do something else. You have baited me for the last time. Enjoy your weekend
Ted

Panther_99FS
May 21st, 2010, 20:42
I like having a yard, too. .

Better knock Arizona off your acceptable state list too ;)

Ken Stallings
May 22nd, 2010, 06:43

Examples of "uneven terrain" in Texas:

Big Bend National Park, south Texas east of El Paso:

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Big_Bend.jpg

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Big_Bend3.jpg

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Big_Bend2.jpg

El Paso, Texas itself:

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/El_Paso.jpg

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/El_Paso2.jpg

Some of those white beaches I was talking about .... South Padre Island, Texas:

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Padre_Island.jpg

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Padre_Island2.jpg

Wetlands you asked for? Well, here is Beaumont, Texas also in the southeast corner of Texas:

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Beaumont.jpg

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Beaumont2.jpg

Remember I spoke of the Riverwalk in San Antonio? One of the prettiest metro spots I've seen!

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Riverwalk.jpg

More to follow ...

Ken Stallings
May 22nd, 2010, 06:46
Want rolling hills, green pastures, and forests? Try the northeast region, such as Texarkana, located in the northeast quadrant:

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Texarkana.jpg

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Texarkana2.jpg

And just so we cover all the quadrants ... more of the "uneven" part of Texas, in this case Caprock which is between Amarillo and Lubbock in the northwest panhandle region ... close to where I live actually!

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Caprock.jpg

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Caprock2.jpg

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/Texas/Caprock3.jpg

All this in one state! Can't find what you are looking for?

Ken

Bone
May 22nd, 2010, 07:16
In all fairness to Tigisfat, he did spend NINE YEARS IN ABILENE. The fact that he didn't shoot himself is quite an achievement. I lived in Dallas for manymany years, and also graduated from UNT. Texas can't be pidgeon-holed as being one thing only, there is no doubt. It is incredibly diverse. The same goes for the people. They all aren't nice, friendly, warm, and outgoing people who are just there to help. There's plenty of "Yankee take I-35N" going on. However, there are alot of nice people there.

As I said before, Tigisfat lived in Abilene. The portion of Texas that goes from Abilene to Midland/Oddessa to Wink and back to Abilene is the nether-region of Texas. It is ugly terrain pock marked by drill pads and rigs, and the blowing dust is icing on the cake. Now the area is being taken over by wind farms. There are huge wind generators everywhere...like nanny goat hairs on an ugly womans face. A person transplanted to that area is going to have ill memories of Texas even if they had taken trips to Padre, or the Piney Woods, or the river in San Marcus, ect ect. I think Texas is a great place, except for the area where Tigisfat lived...that blows.

Oh, those are great pics, Ken. They do show some of the beaty of Texas!

Daveroo
May 22nd, 2010, 09:25
wow.........did wrong way corrigan flyby?

Ken Stallings
May 22nd, 2010, 09:31
In all fairness to Tigisfat, he did spend NINE YEARS IN ABILENE. The fact that he didn't shoot himself is quite an achievement. I lived in Dallas for manymany years, and also graduated from UNT. Texas can't be pidgeon-holed as being one thing only, there is no doubt. It is incredibly diverse. The same goes for the people. They all aren't nice, friendly, warm, and outgoing people who are just there to help. There's plenty of "Yankee take I-35N" going on. However, there are alot of nice people there.

As I said before, Tigisfat lived in Abilene. The portion of Texas that goes from Abilene to Midland/Oddessa to Wink and back to Abilene is the nether-region of Texas. It is ugly terrain pock marked by drill pads and rigs, and the blowing dust is icing on the cake. Now the area is being taken over by wind farms. There are huge wind generators everywhere...like nanny goat hairs on an ugly womans face. A person transplanted to that area is going to have ill memories of Texas even if they had taken trips to Padre, or the Piney Woods, or the river in San Marcus, ect ect. I think Texas is a great place, except for the area where Tigisfat lived...that blows.

Oh, those are great pics, Ken. They do show some of the beaty of Texas!

I lived in Abilene also. Based at Dyess myself for two years flying C-130's.

It isn't considered a vacation spot, but I like it. Looking back on it, I sure wish I had gone ahead and got an airplane back then. I would have enjoyed it much more. Vice a three hour drive to San Antonio, I could have taken a one hour flight!

Ken

txnetcop
May 22nd, 2010, 13:10
In all fairness to tigs...hogwash! He should not have pigeon-holed Texas when someone from Texas complimenting on his thread and talking about the part of California I enjoyed. He asked the question why I moved I kept it civil until he started his tirade which I personally have had enough of and better not hear again! Argument is ended and there better not be any more!
Ted

Ken Stallings
May 22nd, 2010, 15:10
There's an old expression ... "Home is where your heart is!"

I believe that. And I believe you never take a knife to another man's heart!

Here is a personal example...

Some consider east New Mexico to be "uninteresting." Kind of flat cow country. Well, there are lots of dairy ranches and cattle ranches here to be sure. But, here's my homestead. I kind of like it!

http://www.kenstallings.com/images/House_in_Portales/Flag%20&%20House%203.jpg

Cheers,

Ken

Skittles
May 22nd, 2010, 17:09
There's an old expression ... "Home is where your heart is!"

Cheers,

Ken

But.....but....you said google streetview......but......

That's one heck of a flag pole!

Ken Stallings
May 22nd, 2010, 17:39
But.....but....you said google streetview......but......

That's one heck of a flag pole!

True about Google, but this was my choice. LOL!!!!

I had the flag pole installed a few months after I returned from my last deployment in the war. It's an industrial grade pole and 30 feet tall. It needed to be that strong to withstand the winds here as sometimes they can whip up to 60 knots! But at least I don't have to worry about hurricanes anymore! My last year in the Florida panhandle, my house and yard endured three in one dang year! My yard went from lush to nearly treeless that year! Terribly depressing!

The really nice thing is I live on top of a hill, one of the highest elevations in the area. So, I can see forever -- a nice view!

Ken