PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Mascots??

aeromed202
May 20th, 2010, 05:38
Ok I watch the Olympics but I swear I never knew there were mascots. Call me old fashioned but I think the Rings are appealing enough.

What do you think?

Quixoticish
May 20th, 2010, 06:21
It's a shame pedobear didn't make his summer Olympic debut considering how successful he was as a mascot at Vancouver. :mixedsmi:

cheezyflier
May 20th, 2010, 06:34
in a bowl, mix the following:

the zest from 3 oranges (use a zester. if you go too deep you will add a bitterness to the sauce)
1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice (don't worry about neatness, allow some pulp in there as well)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (you can get away with a little less if you prefer, as the soy adds some saltiness as well)
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground back pepper

arrange 5 or 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts in a lg casserole dish or small lasagna pan.
pour the mixture over the chicken. cook for 20 minutes, then flip them over and cook for 10 minutes more.
serve the chicken over a bed of medium grain rice. use the sauce from the pan to supplement what has baked into the chicken if you like. serve with a white wine that's not too sweet, but maybe a medium dry, to play off of the sweetness of the chicken. for a vegetable, you could serve edamame on the side in a small bowl.

Matt Wynn
May 20th, 2010, 06:39
ahh yes, Wenlock and Mandeville, Wendeville is the London Olympic Mascot and mandeville is the London Paralympics mascot...:wavey:

Toastmaker
May 20th, 2010, 08:13
in a bowl, mix the following:

the zest from 3 oranges (use a zester. if you go too deep you will add a bitterness to the sauce)
1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice (don't worry about neatness, allow some pulp in there as well)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (you can get away with a little less if you prefer, as the soy adds some saltiness as well)
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground back pepper

arrange 5 or 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts in a lg casserole dish or small lasagna pan.
pour the mixture over the chicken. cook for 20 minutes, then flip them over and cook for 10 minutes more.
serve the chicken over a bed of medium grain rice. use the sauce from the pan to supplement what has baked into the chicken if you like. serve with a white wine that's not too sweet, but maybe a medium dry, to play off of the sweetness of the chicken. for a vegetable, you could serve edamame on the side in a small bowl.

Hmm. . . Cheezy - this sounds pretty good but what in the world does it have to do with Olympic mascots ??

:running:

traindriver98
May 20th, 2010, 12:15
Do you think anyone will call them one eyed monsters??????

Dain Arns
May 20th, 2010, 12:52
Ok I watch the Olympics but I swear I never knew there were mascots. Call me old fashioned but I think the Rings are appealing enough.

What do you think?

First games to feature an Olympic Mascot were the 1972 Munich Games. :icon_lol:
Waldi, the Dachshund.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/olympic-trivia/olympic-mascot.html

tigisfat
May 20th, 2010, 13:46
It's a shame pedobear didn't make his summer Olympic debut considering how successful he was as a mascot at Vancouver. :mixedsmi:

Dude, I'm tired of hearing about and seeing pedobear. There's nothing wrong with satirizing anything, but pedobear just isn't funny, and frankly the whole principle is more than just wrong.

cheezyflier
May 20th, 2010, 14:24
Hmm. . . Cheezy - this sounds pretty good but what in the world does it have to do with Olympic mascots ??

:running:

absolutely nothing, but i thought i would post something in this thread that folks might like.
i make that here pretty regularly. it's tasty, and easy to make.

Quixoticish
May 20th, 2010, 14:37
Dude, I'm tired of hearing about and seeing pedobear. There's nothing wrong with satirizing anything, but pedobear just isn't funny, and frankly the whole principle is more than just wrong.

Anything that becomes a meme like that, no matter how daft or wrong it may be just tickles me pink by the very fact that it spawns so many bizarre and completely off the wall parodies.

Ken Stallings
May 20th, 2010, 14:43
You know what you get when you try to create a mascot that is gender neutral, racially amorphous, nationally neutral, and culturally alien to all human forms?

You get those two ugly as sin and totally uninteresting examples in that photo.

And London isn't alone. Atlanta had the same stupid, insipid looking mascot for their games when I live there and "Whatizit" was a real turn off for the citizens of Atlanta.

You know, we should be proud of our cultures and histories. What would be wrong with a bulldog mascot for the London games, and naming him "Winston?"

Ken

Quixoticish
May 20th, 2010, 14:51
You know, we should be proud of our cultures and histories. What would be wrong with a bulldog mascot for the London games, and naming him "Winston?"

Ken

It would be a horrible, completely unimaginative cliché, in my eyes anyway.

I actually agree with what you are saying for the most part regarding mascots, however every time I reflect on the rather bizarre designs that are the subject of the thread I'm left with the inescapable conclusion that I couldn't do any better; I really wouldn't know where to start.

TeaSea
May 20th, 2010, 15:07
London screams cultural icons....

....and this is what they come up with??

Now London just screams.

cheezyflier
May 20th, 2010, 20:11
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/promt/Gibson/Gibson_Explorer_84reissue_wht/DSC09862pc.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t248/White_r34/WIPs%20Car%20and%20Truck%20types/The%20Wraith%20Car/Wraith11.jpg

http://img.allposters.com/6/LRG/27/2769/DDXTD00Z.jpg

cheezyflier
May 20th, 2010, 20:23
i'm just trying to balance the suckiness of those mascots with pics of coolness

Dain Arns
May 20th, 2010, 22:45
i'm just trying to balance the suckiness of those mascots with pics of coolness

Excellent idea...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/stevemcqueen.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/SeanConnery-1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/Celebrity-Image-Clint-Eastwood-2280.jpg

stuartcox
May 20th, 2010, 22:59
The olympic logo for 2012 isn't much better either! This interpretation says it all...8427

Matt Wynn
May 21st, 2010, 04:51
about as good as the logo has been in recent years... and no i am not being biased... for once :icon_lol:
http://www.greek-islands.us/athens/athens-history/athens2004.gif

east end of London in 2012... so whats going to happen when all them gangs hear the starters pistol? it'll be the fastest them athletes have ever moved :icon_lol: and I wonder what they've uncovered where stadium is going? Brinks Mat Bullion perhaps? :icon_lol: i'm with Dain, nothing says Coolness quite like Steve McQueen, Sean Connery or Clint Eastwood...

Snuffy
May 21st, 2010, 06:06
Why? :sleep:

Bjoern
May 21st, 2010, 07:30

A lot of stuff in life is wrong. ;)

What would be wrong with a bulldog mascot for the London games, and naming him "Winston?"

Stereotype incoming!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/stevemcqueen.jpg

Winner. :d

cheezyflier
May 21st, 2010, 10:23
no question, those pics were easily as cool as mine. :applause:

Ken Stallings
May 21st, 2010, 16:23
English bulldog -- stereotype, cliche?

Is Uncle Sam a stereotype, a cliche?

I guess I don't see the concerns with obvious connections with cultural expressions made over generations of people.

Cheers,

Ken

Quixoticish
May 22nd, 2010, 01:23
English bulldog -- stereotype, cliche?

Is Uncle Sam a stereotype, a cliche?

I guess I don't see the concerns with obvious connections with cultural expressions made over generations of people.

Cheers,

Ken

To my mind yes. If Uncle Sam or a British Bulldog or suchlike were to be used my first reaction would probably something sarcastic about a lack of imagination and dearth of creative process.

TeaSea
May 22nd, 2010, 04:45
A new interpretation of the icon perhaps?

Might be quite a challenge...could stress that creative process....could change the way people think....

No offense intended Chris, but you're advocating the weenie way out....

.... on the other hand, any re-interpretation of iconic symbols such a the aforementioned would lead to a general bloodbath of protest from folks who don't like their icons messed with.

Perhaps starting from scratch is indeed the better part of valor.

But this crap?? I don't think any of us disagree on the current result.

Ken Stallings
May 22nd, 2010, 05:25
To my mind yes. If Uncle Sam or a British Bulldog or suchlike were to be used my first reaction would probably something sarcastic about a lack of imagination and dearth of creative process.

I guess it comes down to a personal choice on whether you value originality or tradition.

Obviously, I tend to value traditions.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
May 22nd, 2010, 05:30
A new interpretation of the icon perhaps?

Might be quite a challenge...could stress that creative process....could change the way people think....

No offense intended Chris, but you're advocating the weenie way out....

.... on the other hand, any re-interpretation of iconic symbols such a the aforementioned would lead to a general bloodbath of protest from folks who don't like their icons messed with.

Perhaps starting from scratch is indeed the better part of valor.

But this crap?? I don't think any of us disagree on the current result.

Seems to me the new design art is to create something where folks are so busy wondering what the hell it is that they don't have any context to criticize it!

Mind you, I really don't consider that to be good design.

Cheers,

Ken

Bjoern
May 22nd, 2010, 09:02
Looking at those mascots again, they appear kind of disturbing.
Take their one huge eye and pull GB's love for video surveillance into account...