PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 310 and Sikorsky Skycrane Updates

Roadburner440
May 16th, 2010, 15:20
Well we are at the start of another week, and what better way than with some news on our projects. The Cessna 310 is progressing along nicely. It is in the simulator now, and recieving tweaks to the flight file. It was just given to me to test today, and I am sure Mr. Stallings has recieved it as well. Hopefully he can chime in as far as how close to the real thing it is. Work will continue moving forward on that aircraft though, and it should be going through ever increasing scrutiny. As a side note in the flying shot I know it looks like the props are standing still. They are rotating, albeit slowly. The animation just needs a little bit of adjustment. As for the Skycrane it is still undergoing the coding process with one of our end customers which is why you do not see it flying. It is in the sim though, and the switches that are supposed to work do. Hopefully there will be a movement toward flight moving into next month, and things can start to wrap up on that end. Aircraft definately looks stunning though in the simulator. As always keep in mind that these are works in progress, and comments are welcome.

Cessna 310:
http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Roadburner426/Milviz%20May%2016%202010/2010-5-16_18-47-26-534.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Roadburner426/Milviz%20May%2016%202010/2010-5-16_18-47-34-581.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Roadburner426/Milviz%20May%2016%202010/2010-5-16_18-47-58-312.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Roadburner426/Milviz%20May%2016%202010/2010-5-16_18-48-8-698.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Roadburner426/Milviz%20May%2016%202010/2010-5-16_18-51-5-799.jpg

Sikorsky Skycrane:
http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Roadburner426/Milviz%20May%2016%202010/2010-5-16_18-54-28-548.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Roadburner426/Milviz%20May%2016%202010/2010-5-16_18-54-48-708.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Roadburner426/Milviz%20May%2016%202010/2010-5-16_18-55-11-411.jpg

Skittles
May 16th, 2010, 15:23
http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Roadburner426/Milviz%20May%2016%202010/2010-5-16_18-55-11-411.jpg

Oooh. What size/file type/number of texture sheets have you used in that VC?

Roadburner440
May 16th, 2010, 15:24
That I couldn't tell you. KC is the brains in the modeling department. I just fly the stuff and put up the pictures/information. :icon_lol:

JamesChams
May 16th, 2010, 15:26
Mr. "Roadburner440,"
Thanks for the preview pic.'s, they look "scrumptious." :applause:

EDIT:
Also, just wondering if you'll are planning to make the skycrane model "DODOSIM/HTR-Compatible?"

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

Ken Stallings
May 16th, 2010, 15:30
I can say that while not perfect, I dd have a pleasant experience flying the pre-alpha today. I have beta tested many aircraft and this one right out of the test box is already very close to the faithful mark of the actual Cessna 310. Based on the feedback and communications I have already been a part of, I think this design group is sweating the details and wants to offer the best FSX model possible.

From what I've seen already and what I suspect is being worked on now and improved before release, the community is likely to be very happy.

Cheers,

Ken

Roadburner440
May 16th, 2010, 15:32
I may be a little out of the loop in this department, but I thought Dodosim just made aircraft (206/UH-1).. Or are you referring to the advanced helicopter flight dynamic add-on that I hear about occassionally in threads? Since the Skycrane is not being programmed by us I cannot vouch for that either way. I am unsure if the Nemeth-bros other products are compatible with the add-on, but if they are I would say that is a good indication that this will be.

strykerpsg
May 16th, 2010, 15:42
I am loving that crane guys......if you need any beta testers, send me an IM. They both look great!

Matt

tigisfat
May 16th, 2010, 23:05
I don't know why some developers are so secretive. This level of transparency can only help promote the product and build excitement.

euroastar350
May 16th, 2010, 23:45
I don't know why some developers are so secretive. This level of transparency can only help promote the product and build excitement.

Competition from other developers is one reason I can think of.

tigisfat
May 17th, 2010, 00:02
Competition from other developers is one reason I can think of.

Yes, but couldn't it be said that if you preview something in beta, it's already too far along for a competitor to slap a competing product together in time?

Most of the developers are pretty decent at not producing products that others are making or have recently made.

Maybe it's the constant "are we there yet?" type comments that drive them nuts. I'm guilty of that all day long. I'm absolutely in love with these two aircraft.

Lewis-A2A
May 17th, 2010, 00:07
310 looks great. Sleeeek!

A couple suggestions;

The seats look a lil too shiney for the ground in dirt texture they have, maybe worth toning it down to a lesser shine for the leather?

Also if the windows are tinted wouldnt it be nice to give the actual view inside the pit a slight tint?

gajit
May 17th, 2010, 01:50
Superb :ernae:

Roadburner440
May 17th, 2010, 02:53
Thanks for the comments guys. I think there probably could be some more tweaks to the 310's textures in store. I personally thought it had a leather type of sheen to it almost like a luxury car. As far as being secretive and such I try to put stuff up as soon as I get it. The Skycrane is a different story as that is being done outside of Milviz so we try to respect their requests which is why after we passed it off I haven't said much about it. To me the Skycrane definately looks stellar, and the screenshots to me do not do it justice. I just got a new 24" monitor a week or so ago, and looking at the details on that monitor are something else. I will try to get more shots up today as I was trying to hurridly get in a nap before I went to work last night.

Lionheart
May 17th, 2010, 04:56
Looks awesome! Two beauties in que side by side. Love the paint scheme on the 310.

Bill

arrowmaker
May 17th, 2010, 05:04
Really looking forward to the Skycrane. I loved flying the freeware version in FS2002 and FS2004. This one looks stunning. :applause:

Gibbage
May 17th, 2010, 12:40
I think the shine on the leather seats looks really bad and out of place. This is an old bird, and old leather does NOT shine. I also think a nice detail bump will help sell the look. I would also like to see paint chips on the panel, not just a dirt layer.

:salute:

JAllen
May 17th, 2010, 12:51
Old dull leather seats are made bright and shiny with ' Armor-All ' protectant every day. :icon_lol:

Gibbage
May 17th, 2010, 12:53
Then youll slide right off on a bake if the pilot dont follow the slip ball ;)

Roadburner440
May 17th, 2010, 13:39
LOL. I like the theories about the seats. That is some good stuff. Could of just had the seats redone as well. I think overall for an aircraft that was built 40 some odd years ago (particular model in the shots are a 310Q according to the email I recieved) I think it looks far to new anyway. I have been to GA airports to get gas for our aircraft on cross countries and you see older GA planes where the paint is so worn down you can see all the layers where it has been repainted. Logos and stripping are faded, etc. I am sure with a leather interior like my older cars the seats would probably be torn on the side of the seat where you get in the door at. I personally like my aircraft to have a fairly new/well maintained feel about them. I will agree though that for a normal 30-40 year old aircraft it would not look this nice unless someone really loved their aircraft.

tigisfat
May 17th, 2010, 13:41
I also think a nice detail bump will help sell the look. I would also like to see paint chips on the panel, not just a dirt layer.

:salute:

I've only really seen paint chips on military aircraft, not so much in GA. I'm sure there are plenty of GA aircraft that have chips, but it just doesn't seem as prevalent.

Roadburner440
May 17th, 2010, 14:11
We stopped at Grand Strand in Myrtle Beach to get gas on our way to Norfolk, VA for deployments and a lot of the aircraft there to me look like they should be on their way to the boneyard. I don't know if the paint wears off cause they put tarps on them or what not. I would expect in the Airforce that your planes look like new Tig :jump:. Then again the last Air Force birds I seen up close were almost a decade ago when I was a kid, and my uncle was stationed at Charleston AFB. They were still recieving brand new C-17's then. I haven't seen an AF bird up close since. Our paint really doesn't chip as much as it erodes off the leading edge of our rotor blades (oh how I hate repainting them), and the exhaust gets embedded in the tail cones paint and the horizontal stab once the engines get up there in the hours. Pain in the rear is all I know.

Gibbage
May 17th, 2010, 15:24
The referances photo's I had had a lot of paint chipping aroung the gauges and screws from constant removing and replacing over some 40 years of services. Also high wear area's like the throttle quad had a lot of wear and tear. It seems like most GA aircraft I have seen, the pilot is more concerned about what the outside looks like more then the inside.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-310P/0535657/L/&sid=5e9ce202b8ed23b78e12515f425988cc

MCDesigns
May 17th, 2010, 18:13
Yes, but couldn't it be said that if you preview something in beta, it's already too far along for a competitor to slap a competing product together in time?

Most of the developers are pretty decent at not producing products that others are making or have recently made.

Maybe it's the constant "are we there yet?" type comments that drive them nuts. I'm guilty of that all day long. I'm absolutely in love with these two aircraft.

Personally, I feel ALL developers shouldn't post preview pics till close to release, like maybe a week out. Then again, I have never undertstood the mentality of asking for a release date either which I see all the time on forums.

Both these look fantastic, looking forward to trying the skycrane out, bring it on!!

Gibbage
May 18th, 2010, 09:55
Personally, I feel ALL developers shouldn't post preview pics till close to release, like maybe a week out. Then again, I have never undertstood the mentality of asking for a release date either which I see all the time on forums.

Both these look fantastic, looking forward to trying the skycrane out, bring it on!!
Primarily it servs 2 purposes. Both of them would be no good if it was only a week before release.

#1, feedback and error correction. ANY artist here will tell you that after looking at a model for some things MONTHS, we miss things. Having new, fresh eyes helps GREATLY with finding errors in the model BEFORE ITS TOO LATE! Once texture is on the model, its very difficult to change anything. So early previews helps us give you a better product.

#2, advertising. The god-honest truth is when you have such a small market, word of mouth is the best form of advertising. I know is sounds harsh, but its the truth. The more eyes they get interested, the more sales they have. More sales = more and better aircraft.

In the end, the community wins from these previews. They get better products!