PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio gone, aged 67

Quixoticish
May 16th, 2010, 11:55
Absolutely gutted. Funny how almost all celebrity deaths seem completely inconsequential and then one comes along that you actually meet with a measure of dismay.

One of the founding fathers of heavy metal, he will be remembered fondly.

Skittles
May 16th, 2010, 11:57
Considering the lifestyle I imagine he lived that's a good age to go by!

Never really listened to him but recognize what impact he had on modern music.

RIP.

(Rock In Peace)

jmig
May 16th, 2010, 12:02
Considering the lifestyle I imagine he lived that's a good age to go by!

Never really listened to him but recognize what impact he had on modern music.

RIP.

(Rock In Peace)

:salute:

tigisfat
May 16th, 2010, 12:03
NO!!!

You've gotta be kidding me!! It was a dream of mine to see RJD in concert. Man, that stinks that he's gone.

Butcherbird17
May 16th, 2010, 13:08
Wow so sad to hear. He was just in concert hear in SoFlo a couple months ago. I knew that he had some health issues but didn't know it was this bad. I'm glad i got to see him in concert more than a few times and it was always a great show.

R.I.P Ronnie :salute:

Sing me a song, you're a singer
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil
The devil is never a maker
The less that you give, you're a taker
So it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hell

Joe

Quixoticish
May 16th, 2010, 13:35
I've seen him a few times, and was due to see him with Heaven & Hell at this years Bloodstock in August. They pulled out from the line-up a few weeks ago so I expected the worst. :frown:

TomSteber
May 16th, 2010, 13:47
OMG I didn't know he was battling cancer. So sad. One of THE best rock voices silenced.
May the tributes begin.
Farewell Rock God

Butcherbird17
May 16th, 2010, 14:48
I've been on a Rainbow/Black Sabbath/Dio/Heaven and Hell trip since i read this post, watching and listening to one of the great vocals of Heavy Metal. And this is one of his signature songs that I will never tire of listening to..

nb1pDv2zydc

and another..

We're a ship without a storm
The cold without the warm
Light inside the darkness that it needs, yeah

We're a laugh without a tear
The hope without the fear
We are coming - home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy6URlmeUpk&feature=related
edit: couldn't get this one to post
Joe

d0mokun
May 16th, 2010, 16:13
I always thought that regardless of how great some Ozzie Sabbath tracks are, Heaven & Hell was one of the best. I also quite loved the recent Bible Black album.

I'm sure he'll rock on whether he's in Heaven or Hell! :ernae:

tonybones2112
May 16th, 2010, 16:50
I guess the greatest form of fan flattery and admiration we can have is to play someone's music. Growing up a scion of southerners they never quite got my guitar playing that centered around Dio, Sabbath, Ritchie Blackmore, Ted Nugent, et al; Dio's music formed a good bit of the song list of the bands I've been in over the years.

A fellow horror writer of mine, Spidey Snider, died a year or so ago, he was 72. Spidey, Dio, did as I am doing: they never cut their hair, they never got "old".

We rock.

Bones

hews500d
May 16th, 2010, 18:33
Shocking and sad news... Never got to see him although I've listened to his music for years.

RIP Ronnie, the heavy metal world will miss you :engel016:

Darrell

Snuffy
May 16th, 2010, 18:35
Dio went off and formed a band I enjoyed back in the day (1970s) The band's name was Elf ... some excellent stuff.

He'll be missed.

mCVyVznt3KY

cheezyflier
May 17th, 2010, 08:10
man! what a loss!!!! i saw him during "lock up the wolves" tour. i've loved almost everything he did.

i bet you guys didn't know about this one:

kmbuHKuyDRc