PDA

View Full Version : At Last! DC-3 native on the way!

Snave
May 15th, 2010, 11:14
http://www.justflight.com/newsDetail.asp?newsID=1586

High time somebody actually released a FSX-native DC-3 to build on the default. Doesn't seem like MAAM-Sim have any chance of delivering theirs in the 75th Anniversary year, and A2A are backed-up with other projects.

Skittles
May 15th, 2010, 12:04
I wonder if they're using the default model.

huub vink
May 15th, 2010, 12:28
I wonder if they're using the default model.

The model is done for justflight by Aeroplane Heaven, so I think it is a complete new model.

Cheers,
Huub

Bjoern
May 15th, 2010, 14:21
Another DC-3...another A320...

*Sigh*

cheezyflier
May 15th, 2010, 14:44
Doesn't seem like MAAM-Sim have any chance of delivering theirs in the 75th Anniversary year

you know, maam has made some really great models, (actually not just the models but the entire package) in the past. but usually when someone from maam posts as to why this thing or that thing isn't done, or seems to be taking forever, they always deliver the same answer. i don't even bother caring anymore.

roger-wilco-66
May 15th, 2010, 15:05

High time somebody actually released a FSX-native DC-3 to build on the default. Doesn't seem like MAAM-Sim have any chance of delivering theirs in the 75th Anniversary year, and A2A are backed-up with other projects.

It's high time sure, but on the default model ??!! C'mon,we could do better than that.

I think that if MAAM could deliver the same pioneer work today as they did years ago, it could be a blast.

cheers,
Mark

Snave
May 15th, 2010, 15:09
It's high time sure, but on the default model ??!! C'mon,we could do better than that.

I think that if MAAM could deliver the same pioneer work today as they did years ago, it could be a blast.

cheers,
Mark

Build on the default = build on the customer base excited by the default DC-3, not physically. Aeroplane Heaven are one of the few developers with a good chance of pulling this off. if we assume )as we do) that the MAAM-Sim is vapourware.

spotlope
May 15th, 2010, 16:19

*Sigh*

C'mon Bjoern, there's not even one payware-quality DC3 that's native FSX. It's a little early to use "another", isn't it? You make it sound like the skies are lousy with 'em.

Reddog
May 15th, 2010, 16:30
I'm a little confused, didn't FSX come with a DC-3 as default? So isn't that a native FSX model?

Tim_Horton
May 15th, 2010, 16:36
How about the Turbo Prop Version thrown in for Good luck!!!

Pepere
May 15th, 2010, 16:38

*Sigh*

Me Too *Sigh* - Why not a DC4/6 *Sigh*

David

stansdds
May 15th, 2010, 16:57
Me Too *Sigh* - Why not a DC4/6 *Sigh*

David
Check out CalClassics for FSX DC-4, DC-6, DC-7, Constellations, and Convairs.
http://www.calclassic.com/

I'm a little confused, didn't FSX come with a DC-3 as default? So isn't that a native FSX model?
FSX does come with a DC-3, but it has problems, shape errors, flight model issues, and the port engine's prop turns the wrong way. It simply falls short of the mark.

Pepere
May 15th, 2010, 17:02
Check out CalClassics for FSX DC-4, DC-6, DC-7, Constellations, and Convairs.

Not like A2A's planes!

David

CG_1976
May 15th, 2010, 17:27
How about the Turbo Prop Version thrown in for Good luck!!!

Anyone in payware who tosses in the BT-67 will have me at the door with credit card waiting.

Javis
May 15th, 2010, 17:50
.... i don't even bother caring anymore.

That's your prerogative, Ace. We still do though.

Please do remember that Maam-Sim is not your average commercial FS aircraft developer in need of the money to put food on table. We do our work purely out of love for the hobby in the first place. All revenues are going directly to the museum to help keeping the real Maam birds flying. We do have food on the table too but that comes from other sources. :)

I'm sure that once our first native, all singing and dancing, FSX model will be released you will start to care again. Don't bother to switch it on it will happen automatically.

The R4D/DC-3/C-47 model will be released as the first native FSX version of our FS9 branch of models. Not just as a native FSX version but rebuild from the ground up. If, by any chance, you have our FS9 version of the venerable Dakota i guess i don't have to tell you what you're going to get with our native FSX version.

Yes, it will take a while. But is this such a problem ?..... FSX will probabely be with us for a looooong time to come, best not shoot all arrows all at once, right ?..

Btw, we'd LOVE to do a DC-4/6/7 but it just so happens that we don't have any of these species sitting here on the Maam tarmac...

Cheers,
Jan
on behalf of Maam-Sim

Javis
May 15th, 2010, 17:54
.... if we assume )as we do) that the MAAM-Sim is vapourware.

Who's 'we' ???....

Cheers,
Jan

CheckSix
May 15th, 2010, 18:09
Pls can we have an AC-47? Puhlease.... :)

spotlope
May 15th, 2010, 18:16

Sure, there's a default version. If we were all satisfied with defaults though, there wouldn't even be an add-on plane market. I was just saying that before we go rolling our eyes about another DC-3, can we have just one that's top quality? It's not that much to ask. ;)

bazzar
May 15th, 2010, 21:15
OkeyDokey, time to leap in here again.

1) This is a set of brand, spanking new models built specifically for FSX.
2) The list will include the AC47 Gunship, C47B Troop carrier, DC3 Dakota airliner and British version of the C47, as flown by the BBMF.
3) This is the anniversary year for the C47 so, like the Battle of Britain issues, we are building to commemorate.
4) The FSX default is not actually native FSX. It is based on the old FS9 which with the best will in the World is now getting a bit "tired".
5) "another DC3" so let me see, we're only allowed to make one of everything is that it?
6) Why on earth would anyone base anything on the "default" model? Who do you think we are?

I actually don't care much whether anyone wants this or not. I do and I know a few others who do too.

Jan, I hope you realise that this is not some obscure, sinister plot to combat MAAM. I have every respect for what you guys do, as you know and I will eagerly await the FSX version along with the the many hundreds of others who enjoyed the first issue, me included.

As to other subjects...you'll be surprised what we have in the toy cupboard...if you're good.:engel016:

Paul K
May 15th, 2010, 22:43
As to other subjects...you'll be surprised what we have in the toy cupboard...if you're good.:engel016:

I don't suppose its contains a Curtiss C-46 Commando complete with paint kit, does it ? Coupled with Air Hauler down in South America, in all those liveries...wonderful.

Ken Stallings
May 15th, 2010, 22:54
That's your prerogative, Ace. We still do though.

Please do remember that Maam-Sim is not your average commercial FS aircraft developer in need of the money to put food on table. We do our work purely out of love for the hobby in the first place. All revenues are going directly to the museum to help keeping the real Maam birds flying. We do have food on the table too but that comes from other sources. :)

I'm sure that once our first native, all singing and dancing, FSX model will be released you will start to care again. Don't bother to switch it on it will happen automatically.

The R4D/DC-3/C-47 model will be released as the first native FSX version of our FS9 branch of models. Not just as a native FSX version but rebuild from the ground up. If, by any chance, you have our FS9 version of the venerable Dakota i guess i don't have to tell you what you're going to get with our native FSX version.

Yes, it will take a while. But is this such a problem ?..... FSX will probabely be with us for a looooong time to come, best not shoot all arrows all at once, right ?..

Btw, we'd LOVE to do a DC-4/6/7 but it just so happens that we don't have any of these species sitting here on the Maam tarmac...

Cheers,
Jan
on behalf of Maam-Sim

For what it is worth, I remain convinced to this day that the MAAM DC-3 remains the single finest piece of donationware ever released in the history of the Flight Simulator series. If MAAM could release something as fine for FSX it would be a most welcome day.

I appreciate your tone of reply.

Cheers,

Ken

bazzar
May 15th, 2010, 22:54
"I don't suppose its contains a Curtiss C-46 Commando complete with paint kit, does it ? Coupled with Air Hauler down in South America, in all those liveries...wonderful."

bugger...;>)

calypsos
May 15th, 2010, 23:13
"I don't suppose its contains a Curtiss C-46 Commando complete with paint kit, does it ? Coupled with Air Hauler down in South America, in all those liveries...wonderful."

Oh, and a Vickers Viking too, with all those wonderful colour schemes of the 1950's independant airlines :a1310::a1310:

Ark
May 16th, 2010, 00:30

2) The list will include the AC47 Gunship, C47B Troop carrier, DC3 Dakota airliner and British version of the C47, as flown by the BBMF.
3) This is the anniversary year for the C47 so, like the Battle of Britain issues, we are building to commemorate.
4) The FSX default is not actually native FSX. It is based on the old FS9 which with the best will in the World is now getting a bit "tired".
5) "another DC3" so let me see, we're only allowed to make one of everything is that it?
6) Why on earth would anyone base anything on the "default" model? Who do you think we are?

I actually don't care much whether anyone wants this or not. I do and I know a few others who do too.

Jan, I hope you realise that this is not some obscure, sinister plot to combat MAAM. I have every respect for what you guys do, as you know and I will eagerly await the FSX version along with the the many hundreds of others who enjoyed the first issue, me included.

Not to get off subject..................but...

Isn't your team also doing the Avanti II?
If so, does that mean it is getting "close"? I have been wishing for a Native FSX Avanti since FSX was previewed. I check the Wilco site every day for release news. lol :ernae:

tigisfat
May 16th, 2010, 00:40
Personally, I wouldn't care if they did use tweaked versions of the default stuff. Sure, it's got problems, but that doesn't matter unless it's unchanged, hence the words 'tweaked' and 'in work'. We know they aren't, so that's moot too.

Isn't it the end result that matters? I don't care what they do, what they use or how they go about it. Most of the time it's none of my business or concern. When I see some screenshots, prices and features then I'll begin to form an opinion. I for one think the prospect of having this in the future is exciting.

I'll be sure to recreate some 'levitow' moments once the AC-47 is up and rocking. :salute:

Snave
May 16th, 2010, 01:31

Thanks for jumping in.

I also have respect for MAAM-Sim, but can only respect what they have released for the sim. And what have they released for FSX? FSX has been around since 2006 and there are NO FSX-native aircraft for it from MAAM-Sim. One cannot be expected to respect something we've never seen, tried or donated to?

It's not a criticism of timescales, only judgement based on execution. I'm sure if the MAAM product was available we could praise it. But it looks like we'll have the Aeroplane Heaven product far, far sooner, so it will get the praise as it is not only coming - soon - but also will do so in the light of the Anniversary which will see DC-3's and C-47's highlighted the world over.

From a donationware perspective, failing to have the product available is likely to result in far fewer donations, wouldn't you say Jan?

bazzar
May 16th, 2010, 02:22
Not to get off subject..................but...

Isn't your team also doing the Avanti II?
If so, does that mean it is getting "close"? I have been wishing for a Native FSX Avanti since FSX was previewed. I check the Wilco site every day for release news. lol :ernae:

On finals, spraying a few bugs. Not far away.:engel016:

Javis
May 16th, 2010, 04:35

Thank you, Barry, much appreciated !

Well, you can imagine you won't see us jumping for joy reading this topic, but, Hey, we don't own any copyright to anything DC-3 related whatsoever, you have just as much right to build one for FSX as we have.

It just so happens that the DC-3 is one of the most versatile aircraft ever used, it would be impossible for one FS developer only to reproduce each and every type, version and variation. F.i. we would've loved to release an early Wright Cylone version of our DC-3 model but never could find the time to realise that. Same goes for a ski version. On the other hand the release of an AC-47 Gunship and Basler turboprop conversion will be extremely unlikely coming from us. I mean if there's any aircraft that can deliver more than enough versatillity to warrant the release of an FSX model by more than one FS aircraft developer it sure is the DC-3.

And sure too i realise there's no sinister complot involved to harm Maam, Barry, rest assured. We've been thru that and can see it coming from miles away ! :d

Best of luck and lots of fun with the development of your Gooney bird, mate ! :salute:

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
May 16th, 2010, 04:43
For what it is worth, I remain convinced to this day that the MAAM DC-3 remains the single finest piece of donationware ever released in the history of the Flight Simulator series. If MAAM could release something as fine for FSX it would be a most welcome day.

Thank you, Ken, that's highly appreciated and you bet we'll be putting our best foot forward to make sure that our current FS9 version cannot even stand in the shade of our upcoming native FSX iteration. :)

Cheers,
Jan

Snave
May 16th, 2010, 05:07
Thank you, Ken, that's highly appreciated and you bet we'll be putting our best foot forward to make sure that our current FS9 version cannot even stand in the shade of our upcoming native FSX iteration. :)

Cheers,
Jan

If you produce it, we will come...:wavey:

Javis
May 16th, 2010, 05:07
From a donationware perspective, failing to have the product available is likely to result in far fewer donations, wouldn't you say Jan?

Maam-Sim consists of one digital modeler (me), one panel/gauge designer/ photographer/ packager/ manualist, one flight dynamics engineer, and one code programmer, that's it, and unlike a few other devs we didn't choose to leave our FS9 customers outthere in the cold just like that once FSX had been released.

Sure we are lagging far behind when it comes to FSX and i really hate that but you can't bend iron with bare hands as we say overhere. I am slightly more than half way with the development of the external and internal models of our first native FSX product at this moment and to leave you with another fine dutch expression : that's no cat piss.

Cheers,
Jan

spotlope
May 16th, 2010, 07:49
I love Dutch expressions. :salute:

NoNewMessages
May 16th, 2010, 08:09
... to leave you with another fine dutch expression : that's no cat piss.

Stares into coffee cup... ponders for a couple of seconds... takes another gulp!

Bring on the DC-3s, all of them!! :salute:

Ark
May 16th, 2010, 08:17
On finals, spraying a few bugs. Not far away.:engel016:

Great news!

Thanks, Baz.

n4gix
May 16th, 2010, 10:06

I suspect that "point" depends entirely on precisely how one defines "native FSX."

By any reasonable definition of "native FSX" though, the default DC3 meets the smell test...

1. There are two separate models; one for the exterior, one for the interior.

2. The two models were compiled nearly one year apart, the exterior on 09/04/2006 and the interior on 09/07/2007.

3. Both the exterior and interior models feature the full panoply of FSX Materials, including specular, fresnel ramp, bump mapping, as well as .dds compressed texture files.

4. Both the exterior and interior models use the FSX XML Schema scripts for all animations.

However, none of the above speaks to the relative quality of the model, nor does it preclude the assumption that the mesh was almost certainly based on the FS9 version's mesh...

I'm simply making the point that the default DC3 most assuredly is a "native FSX" aircraft!

It's also worth noting that ALL of the default a/c were built according to the specs in the RTM SDK, and have without question been adversely affected by the fundamental paradigm shifts in the modeling specs engendered by the two subsequent SDK "Service Packs."

Paul K
May 16th, 2010, 11:29

bugger...;>)

If by that you mean there IS a C-46 in the works, you are going right to the top of my Christmas Card list.

Bjoern
May 16th, 2010, 13:29
C'mon Bjoern, there's not even one payware-quality DC3 that's native FSX. It's a little early to use "another", isn't it? You make it sound like the skies are lousy with 'em.

There's the default one which counts as one. Then there's the one from MAAM which could be given the FSX treatment, which makes it two already.

However, my point is...why don't those developers make more aircraft *I* care about (e.g. a Tin Mouse. TIN MOUSE!!! Brazillions of operators, brazillions of fans.)?
Sure I can make them all myself, but it takes one effin' lot of TIME.

Yes, I am being selfish.

FSX does come with a DC-3, but it has problems, shape errors, flight model issues, and the port engine's prop turns the wrong way. It simply falls short of the mark.

The source file is open for editing...

Well, there's still tons of aircraft out there never done properly for FSX...so why do the popular ones two- or threefold?

But in the end, you're the developer, do whatever *you* want to do.
I am just a mere peon who simply needed to vent because the FSX add-on world is not going the way I'd like it to. (Selfish, see above.) Sorry for that.

PRB
May 16th, 2010, 13:35
... However, my point is...why don't those developers make more aircraft *I* care about...

Well, if we're only doing planes that *I* care about, then somebody would be working on three or four P-61s right now! :icon_lol:

I would welcome a new DC-3 for FSX. Don't care who makes it, as long as it's good. I'll get the MAAM one when it comes out because I know it will be AWESOME!

bazzar
May 16th, 2010, 14:39
What is the difference between our hobby and plastic modeling? For me, very little.
In that hobby one can select from literally hundreds of different models of many well-known subjects. Do people complain when another is produced? Nope they lap it up and despite faults in the molds, inaccuracies in the shapes and more, happily hand over $100 and more for some productions and then fix them up themselves!.

"the long awaited" Spitfire IX from Tamiya is one example of "yet another Spitfire" (great model by the way). So what is it about this hobby that when one announces a new DC3 or something like that, it gets jumped on as being wasteful repetition?

It's got me beat.

And frankly questions about "quality"- well what do you want me to say, yes it's our usual rubbish, don't bother?...:engel016:

And please don't talk to me about the default aircraft. We were requested to do some work there too.:engel016:

Ferry_vO
May 16th, 2010, 15:05
What is the difference between our hobby and plastic modeling? For me, very little.

No parts breaking off when trying to remove dust. :d

But yeah, collecting Fs models is a lot like collecting plastic models to me.

And these days it is of course typical that people (The FS community in general, no one in particular) ask for a better DC-3 model than the default, and when not one but two come along (Even if one's still far away!) they start complaining there are too many models! :rolleyes:

I for one are looking forward to both as I think the DC-3 is an iconic aicraft.

CG_1976
May 16th, 2010, 15:46
I see Dc-3's, C-46's, DC-4's all day along with other vintage aircraft carrying out there duties daily up here. Just bring me any avgas burner or early JP burner and im happy and content:salute:. I'll buy the Just flight one and Maam.

Bjoern
May 17th, 2010, 05:54
So what is it about this hobby that when one announces a new DC3 or something like that, it gets jumped on as being wasteful repetition?

See my previous reply.

bazzar
May 17th, 2010, 14:36
See my previous reply.
You're like a dog with a bone mate...I'm too old and ugly to rise...sorry.:engel016:

Skittles
May 17th, 2010, 14:44
Well, there's still tons of aircraft out there never done properly for FSX...so why do the popular ones two- or threefold?

Could've sworn there was a Do-328 released a few months back....:icon_lol:

TeiscoDelRay
May 17th, 2010, 14:45
I agree virtual models (to me) are like plastic or even the rc models I fly. They are constructed as such and take as long, or longer to make. I was trying to explain this to a friend of mine that builds beautiful rc B-17's. I said you should build or buy a fast computer and get FSX and some great aircraft to fly. I explained they were like our rc models but better because when we crash them they are reborn good as new. He didn't get it and is of the opinion "it's just a game".

I buy, build and paint virtual models to have a flying replica of a plane that there is no way in hell that I can buy or fly in real life. I dig it, I get it, and I love it.

Looking forward to your work on the DC-3 and know it will be great as always.

GypsyBaron
May 17th, 2010, 14:55
-SNIP-

Not to mention that from the VC, the right wing and engine does not exist nor
does much of anything behind the cockpit seats. A pretty sad case, IMO.

Paul

CheckSix
May 17th, 2010, 15:11
AC-47! At last! Thank you very much! :)

Bjoern
May 18th, 2010, 09:15
Could've sworn there was a Do-328 released a few months back....:icon_lol:

Not a native one. :p

And I do freeware, I can do whatever I want...like, not release it at all. :engel016: :d

You're like a dog with a bone mate...I'm too old and ugly to rise...sorry.:engel016:

It's never too late for anything. ;)

Tim_Horton
May 18th, 2010, 11:24

Paul

I have a new default model that I compile to include all of that in which you have mentioned not around. but the only problem with it is that the animation for the elevators are stuck. But otherwise it is all fixed. Even made it to be Fully Chrome. one big shiny birdy

gera
May 18th, 2010, 11:37
Making FSX models is like making scratchbuilt models....you either know how to make them or you don´t!!!!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/scratchbuilt/PIPISTRELLO%20SM%2081/finito2.jpg

Martyn
July 14th, 2010, 05:23
Hi all,

Here are a few new preview pics:

http://ftp.justflight.info/sites/microsites/Screenshots/DC3/DC3Preview.jpg
http://ftp.justflight.info/sites/microsites/Screenshots/DC3/DC3Preview2.jpg
http://ftp.justflight.info/sites/microsites/Screenshots/DC3/DC3Preview3.jpg
http://ftp.justflight.info/sites/microsites/Screenshots/DC3/DC3Preview4.jpg

More info and pics here: http://www.justflight.com/developProduct.asp?pid=532#

Look forward to bringing you some cockpit shots shortly. All comments and suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Martyn

kilo delta
July 14th, 2010, 05:38
Very,very nice,Martyn:ernae:

Would a paradrop effect be possible in FSX? Any plans for an AC-47? :)

Martyn
July 14th, 2010, 05:42
Any plans for an AC-47?

There may well be :jump:

cheezyflier
July 14th, 2010, 10:16
holy smokes!

skyhawka4m
July 14th, 2010, 13:24
I sense the smell of competition......I love the C-47 but only need one.....who will it be???? :salute:

HighGround22
July 14th, 2010, 14:02
Martyn:

Sufferin' succotash, Sir! Those are spectacular shots, and I love the detail.

And while it may sound like small potatoes to most folks, I note that the little door behind the pee-lot's window opens (I think it's called the "Mail Door"?)!! If there's one detail I truly appreciate in an aircraft's modeling, it's having ALL of the doors operate.

This one's shaping-up to be a real winner, by gum!

SADT
July 14th, 2010, 14:03
Hi,

It will be interesting to see what this model offers over the in development Vertigo studios C-47/DC-3.

bazzar
July 14th, 2010, 14:19
Very,very nice,Martyn:ernae:

Would a paradrop effect be possible in FSX? Any plans for an AC-47? :)

There are clues earlier on this very thread...now where did I put that MiniGun...:engel016:

This is "The Argonia"one of the lead ships in the first waves on D-Day.

heywooood
July 14th, 2010, 15:25

Cheers,
Jan

that makes my neck skin tingle

Dc-3 = the greatest flying machine pound for pound ever made to this date - can't wait to see what you are bringing to FSX

Thank you in advance

heywooood
July 14th, 2010, 15:34

Paul

yes the FSX included version falls a little flat in many ways - in spite of which I still can't stay out of it...

personally I would never say that there are too many of any given type in FSX - I love to see the work done and the detail put into these 3d models ..I guess I'm either the ideal customer or a soft touch.:wavey:

WOW look at those screenies !

skyhawka4m
July 14th, 2010, 15:42
raised panel lines?

heywooood
July 14th, 2010, 19:22
yes - actual airplanes have panels that are riveted - sometimes flush riveted - but riveted together none the less - and in the early days they were riveted to ribs and stringers and had a slight overlap to each other...creating a raised rivet line.

scale models in plastic originally had raised panel lines, but modelers would, in the course of sanding and finishing erase those raised lines - creating the extra task of having to recreate the lines by etching them back in...

so plastic model producers recessed the lines to facilitate modelers - not because it was more realistic...

of course the byproduct and funny part of that cure is that - on a scale model - the recessed lines look better at scale (or at least acceptable) and so have come to be what people who have experience with scale models expect to see on the R/L versions

skyhawka4m
July 14th, 2010, 19:47
Well......I guess my point is that these raised rivets/panel lines are being "overdone" just because, I think, the effect is available in FSX. I can say I've passed on a very recent release because of this very reason. Its a plane I'd love to have to fly but....I look for an appealing exterior model for many reasons.

I know there are visible raised rivets but frankly...some of these rivets would be a HUGE drag issue in real life.

Just my two cents....

skyhawka4m
July 14th, 2010, 19:52

All that said....I think there is a difference in a raised panel "line" over a raised "panel" line. I the photo here that I took a couple weeks ago, I see raised rivets, screws, and panels. I don't see raised panel "lines.

Now, I think if we took a look at what bomber used to do when he did his P-51 repaints.....especially his late ones before going to FSX, you see what I will call a "relief" in the area of rivet lines, where the metal bows inward toward the frame itself, and just think, he did it with paint and not the model itself. I think if this was shown rather than the raised rivet line......I think it would be much more realistic.

AGAIN....just my two cents.

Agree?

bazzar
July 14th, 2010, 20:34
This may help you to understand the subtlety of the C47 skin...;)

Guys I would wait until we've finished the bump-mapping and final textures. Remember these are dev shots. It has already changed since these were taken..

SADT
July 14th, 2010, 20:54
Ahh!!

Now I see the reason why the DC-3/C-47 was so slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_lol:

heywooood
July 14th, 2010, 21:09
yes - developmental screen shots representing a work in progress...understood. Unusual to have so much paint applied to an unfinished airplane - but I accept it in the virtual world

yes - I have seen the final work of one or two modelers that might have overdone the effect.

a line of rivets should not by necessity create a raised line - especially in the middle of a panel that is simply riveted to a stringer or frame section...but where two panels come together or where a repair or patch has been applied there might be more of a lip or demarcation along the rivet line.

the C-47 versions should look especially beat up if they are going to wear theater paint...unless its understood that they are showbirds

regardless - I've seen enough here to know that I will likely add this work to my hard drive....I really hope the interior lighting and texturing in the cockpit is as good as this exterior appears to be.

heywooood
July 14th, 2010, 21:12
This may help you to understand the subtlety of the C47 skin...;)

Guys I would wait until we've finished the bump-mapping and final textures. Remember these are dev shots. It has already changed since these were taken..

right - that clearly shows that in real life, they knew nothing about recessed panel lines...

proof that where the Dc-3 is concerned...the beauty is within the beast

heywooood
July 14th, 2010, 21:16

All that said....I think there is a difference in a raised panel "line" over a raised "panel" line. I the photo here that I took a couple weeks ago, I see raised rivets, screws, and panels. I don't see raised panel "lines.

Now, I think if we took a look at what bomber used to do when he did his P-51 repaints.....especially his late ones before going to FSX, you see what I will call a "relief" in the area of rivet lines, where the metal bows inward toward the frame itself, and just think, he did it with paint and not the model itself. I think if this was shown rather than the raised rivet line......I think it would be much more realistic.

AGAIN....just my two cents.

Agree?

well - looking closely at the line just above the noseart - I see a definite raised seam under the rivet line...vs the lines of rivets just above that raised seam line and below it - where the panels are merely riveted to the airframe

SADT
July 14th, 2010, 22:03
Hi Baz,

Are you thinking of making an interior like the connie? Also, will all the gauges be custom, like in the wildcat or some default, like in the connie? (Please let them be custom.......Want 3D gauges!)

bazzar
July 14th, 2010, 22:20
All gauges will be to the same standard as the new Spitfire and Hurricane. 3D, bumped and accurate.

SADT
July 14th, 2010, 22:51
Excellent!!!!!!

Helldiver
July 15th, 2010, 00:55
What I saw was a C-47, not a DC-3. If you guys don't know he difference, God help us.
I'll wait for the MAAM version, thank you. At least the money goes to a worthy cause.

Martyn
July 15th, 2010, 01:10
What I saw was a C-47, not a DC-3. If you guys don't know he difference, God help us.
I'll wait for the MAAM version, thank you. At least the money goes to a worthy cause.

Could you clarify what you are referring to?

If you are referring to the product name (DC-3 - Legends of Flight), there is no need to worry about us knowing the difference between a C-47 and a DC-3. The package will include both.

Maybe I've misunderstood your post?

Thanks
Martyn

bazzar
July 15th, 2010, 01:43
I'm sorry But I don't have to sit here and read this stuff. Why the hell are you so negative? Have you a kind word for anyone?

Of course we know the difference between a DC3 and a C47. why wouldn't we? It was a joke for God's sake. If you find it hard to be civil then I would suggest you don't comment. All you are doing is souring the mood around here and not setting any kind of example for younger readers.

I hope this doesn't close this thread as I believe in a right of reply and this is not criticism it's just plain bad manners.

AussieMan
July 15th, 2010, 01:59
Bazz, I hope you have included a Viewmaster in the DC-3.

Also both engine versions. P&W and Wright Cyclone.

Cheers
Pat

bazzar
July 15th, 2010, 02:09
Hi Pat, how's it going mate?

Am I right in thinking that MacArthur used a Viewmaster when he was in Oz?

:engel016:

SADT
July 15th, 2010, 03:02
Hi,

You have to include a Viewmaster, think of all those Ansett-ANA/Butler Air Transport (yes, they did operate Ansett converted Viewmasters) and all of those SPANZ repaints. Who knows we may even see the art of SPANZmanship (An a campaign for SPANZ in the '60s) come to the skies of FSX! Heck, NAC even operated a viewmaster (ex SPANZ)!

Helldiver
July 15th, 2010, 06:12
As I said, I'll wait for the MAAM version, thank you. At least the money goes to a worthy cause.
Who ever saw a DF loop located that way. How did they steer it? With their feet?
Not being sour, just a thirst for the truth and what I saw was not a DC-3.

Martyn
July 15th, 2010, 06:42
Helldiver,

As I explained in one of my earlier posts, the product is still in development and therefore we very much welcome any comments/feedback. Its one of the main reasons that I post preview pics on SOH. There is a wealth of knowledge here and we get excellent feedback from this community. We will do all that we can to make our products the best that they can be.

At least the money goes to a worthy cause.

Are you trying to say that Barry's beer fund is not a worthy cause?!

You are more than welcome to hold out for MAAM's product, we have no desire to try and convince you otherwise.

Thanks
Martyn

Helldiver
July 15th, 2010, 07:32
Martyn - Your my son's age and it's great to see someone as young as you with a sense of humor.
By golly, I'll look forward to fly your C-47 as soon as it comes out.

srgalahad
July 15th, 2010, 09:08
A momentary digression from the topic...

Who ever saw a DF loop located that way. How did they steer it? With their feet?
Not being sour, just a thirst for the truth and what I saw was not a DC-3.

"Radio Direction Finding
There are several types of equipment under this general head. In each case, however, use is made of the directional characteristics of a loop antenna. The loop may be either fixed or rotatable. The LF radio-range system had two principal drawbacks: it provided no information on the aircraft's position nor whether it was flying to or from a beacon. If a pilot were flying along a known airway he could extrapolate the to/from situation with a drift off course slightly to pickup the "A" or "N," then deduce from the charts whether the beacon was in front or behind him.
A number of maneuvers were available to a pilot to eliminate the ambiguity of which direction the beacon was relative to his heading, or to determine which quadrant of the radio range he was within, or identify which beam of the range he was intercepting. These maneuvers had names such as the 90° turn method and the parallel method. Useful as they were, they each required a significant deviation from the aircraft's intended course, sometimes even a 180° turn away from the station.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/yellow.gifThe Radio Compass was the first glimmer of hope in determining bearings to a radio station, of filling the information void of the four course radio range. It added a fixed loop antenna and visual indicator to the receiver system. With this system, as long as the aircraft was headed directly toward a radio station the needle of the indicator remained centered; headings to the right or left of the station resulted in a corresponding deflection of the needle.
The radio compass was chiefly used as a "homing" device, and bearings of radio stations off the line of flight could be obtained only by turning the aircraft toward the station and noting the magnetic compass heading when the needle was centered.

Replacing the fixed loop antenna with a rotatable loop eliminated this cumbersome maneuver. This system was called a Radio Direction Finder. With the rotatable loop, bearings could now be obtained without turning the airplane itself. The pilot or navigator would rotate the loop, usually mounted on the fuselage below the cockpit, to the position of minimum signal strength, or "null." The bearing to the radio station was then read from a graduated, mechanical dial.

The Automatic Direction Finder, a marvelous invention, followed the RDF. Finally, a self-contained apparatus for aircraft navigation was available. Gone were rotatable loop antennas and guess-work readings from mechanical azimuth dials. The ADF indicator needle always points directly towards the beacon, which now could be a Non Directional Beacon—NDB"
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ndb-nav-history.htm

For visual reference of a couple of variations:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Douglas-R4D-6-Skytrain/0234751/&sid=cb45c9e52920946994ec248a941ccaac
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Swissair---Swiss/Douglas-C-47B-Skytrain/0244464/&sid=cb45c9e52920946994ec248a941ccaac

So, to determine the type of antenna and it's location, it's first necessary to determine the type of radio equipment installed on the aircraft (has nothing to do with the version of a/c but in many cases it does reflect on the original purchaser's requirements). As aircraft were often field-modified or spec'd. for different equipment during a production run, well...

BTW, a modern ADF antenna is a flush-mounted flat box, often no larger than a poor man's wallet, and hardly noticeable on quick inspection.

Rob

Now, we return you to the program in progress...

pilottj
July 15th, 2010, 09:36
What type of engine modelling is planned for this model? ie will it include a realistic tempermental radial startup proceedure and require proper monitoring of the temp gauges?

Looking foward to it. :)
Cheers
TJ

AussieMan
July 15th, 2010, 10:53
I am going well thanks Bazz ..... I am not 100% sure it the Big Mac used a viewmaster but I have a friend who flew for Airlines of NSW and he flew a couple of Viewmasters there.

Cheers
Pat

bazzar
July 15th, 2010, 14:02
Martyn - Your my son's age and it's great to see someone as young as you with a sense of humor.
By golly, I'll look forward to fly your C-47 as soon as it comes out.

Now I am confused...:icon_lol:

OK let's have one more go at this Helldiver.

We are producing a C47, a DC3, an AC47 GunShip and more .

The DF Loop is, as Rob so ably points out, in the correct position. We too have a thirst for the truth or in this case, accuracy.

No matter, we move on.I'll just have to cut the beer ration...:engel016:

bazzar
July 15th, 2010, 14:04
What type of engine modelling is planned for this model? ie will it include a realistic tempermental radial startup proceedure and require proper monitoring of the temp gauges?

Looking foward to it. :)
Cheers
TJ

Hi TJ,

We have an excellent practitioner in the dark arts. The engines will behave as they should.

kilo delta
July 15th, 2010, 14:25
Now I am confused...:icon_lol:

OK let's have one more go at this Helldiver.

We are producing a C47, a DC3, an AC47 GunShip and more .

The DF Loop is, as Rob so ably points out, in the correct position. We too have a thirst for the truth or in this case, accuracy.

No matter, we move on.I'll just have to cut the beer ration...:engel016:

Hi TJ,

We have an excellent practitioner in the dark arts. The engines will behave as they should.

AC-47 with correctly functioning engines and the beers are on me,Baz ! :d

MudMarine
July 15th, 2010, 14:42
I plan on getting both and supporting everyone!!:salute:

Martyn
August 5th, 2010, 01:28
Some new shots showing a nice addition to our upcoming package:

Note: These are shots showing the aircraft in-development. All feedback is of course welcome!

Naki
August 5th, 2010, 01:58
Hi,

You have to include a Viewmaster, think of all those Ansett-ANA/Butler Air Transport (yes, they did operate Ansett converted Viewmasters) and all of those SPANZ repaints. Who knows we may even see the art of SPANZmanship (An a campaign for SPANZ in the '60s) come to the skies of FSX! Heck, NAC even operated a viewmaster (ex SPANZ)!

Dont forget the topdressing DC-3s ...now that would be something - not likely to see it in FSX though, at least in payware.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/Naki_04/dc3.jpg

bazzar
August 5th, 2010, 03:15
The Waco comes as a standalone with its own VC, troops and a Willis Jeep for good measure.
We've converted one of the C47s to tow it so you have a choice of flying a C47 glider tug or piloting an assault glider.

bazzar
August 5th, 2010, 03:26
Crossing the Channel and then cutting loose is a blast...timing your landing however, is a bit of a challenge...:redface:

txnetcop
August 5th, 2010, 04:42
THAT BABY IS A THING OF BEAUTY, BAZ!!!! :jump::jump::jump:
Ted

Bjoern
August 5th, 2010, 06:58
Pic #2 snuck in from MoH:Airborne or Call Of Duty, right? :icon_lol:

oldpropfan
August 5th, 2010, 10:13
Since I fly at a certain VA focused on this plane and variations I'll be in line when it comes out:jump::jump:. Nice looking VC and Nav/Radio station. Awesome you're going to include the glider in one of the packages.

Al

Roger
August 5th, 2010, 11:49
Looking great so far!

HighGround22
August 5th, 2010, 13:38
I plan on getting both and supporting everyone!!:salute:"There y'go!" -McCloud (as played by the venerable Dennis Weaver -- remember him?)

bazzar
August 5th, 2010, 14:03
I wonder if I could ask for a little assistance please.

I only have a few very indistinct views of the gunsight arrangement in the AC47 Spooky. I believe the sight itself was "borrowed" from a Skyraider but I can't clearly see how it was mounted. The reticle was set up to zero on 12 degrees depression and 30 degrees bank, I know that much...also were the spent shells ejected outside or collected or is that what the big flex tubes were for?

If anyone can help please drop me a PM or email me. Thanks:engel016:

Cirrus N210MS
August 5th, 2010, 14:09
all i can says is wow !

here is some of my DC-3 n C-47 photos from EAA

gives you some more ideas for repaints :salute:

[/URL][URL="http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010182.jpg"]http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010169.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010170.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010171.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010172.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010174.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010177.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010178.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010182.jpg
(http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010169.jpg)

bazzar
August 5th, 2010, 14:16
Lovely shots. Aren't they just beautiful?

Would you happen to have a close up of the noseart etc. on Z8? She looks pretty original.

Cirrus N210MS
August 5th, 2010, 14:22
i think i may

Cirrus N210MS
August 5th, 2010, 14:25
[/URL][URL="http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010172.jpg"]http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/Belle.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/eaa2010172.jpg
(http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/eaa2010/Belle.jpg)

PRB
August 5th, 2010, 14:26
Wow! That's all I can say. Wow.

Is it done yet? :d

Cirrus N210MS
August 5th, 2010, 14:35
here is some other photos from EAA 2004 dc-3s

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-009.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-010.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-011.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-012.jpg

Cirrus N210MS
August 5th, 2010, 14:36
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-053.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-054.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-055.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-056.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-057.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-059.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-060.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-061.jpg

Cirrus N210MS
August 5th, 2010, 14:37
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-163.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-164.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202004/PS-024-167.jpg

Cirrus N210MS
August 5th, 2010, 14:51
EAA 2007

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202007/DSC00517.jpg
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/hotshotmike1001/EAA%202007/DSC00518.jpg

kilo delta
August 5th, 2010, 15:10
I wonder if I could ask for a little assistance please.

I only have a few very indistinct views of the gunsight arrangement in the AC47 Spooky. I believe the sight itself was "borrowed" from a Skyraider but I can't clearly see how it was mounted. The reticle was set up to zero on 12 degrees depression and 30 degrees bank, I know that much...also were the spent shells ejected outside or collected or is that what the big flex tubes were for?

If anyone can help please drop me a PM or email me. Thanks:engel016:

Have you seen this video clip...gunsight can be seen from ~the 2min mark?

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675042687_United-States-AC-47D-gunships_gun-sight_fire-button_readying-guns

kilo delta
August 5th, 2010, 15:16
Found this pic too...Mk20 Mod4 gunsight (http://gunsight.jp/b/english/data/sight-e-am.htm) from the 'Raider. Trigger was mounted on the left side of the pilot's yoke..

Edit: This site may also prove useful... http://www.chrissmithson.com/Manuals.htm and further pics of the gunsight here.. http://www.chrissmithson.com/Interiors.htm

CG_1976
August 5th, 2010, 15:18
The Columbian air-force still uses old Spooky and also has contracts for the AC-47 turbo conversion based of the Bt-67 from Basler.

bazzar
August 5th, 2010, 16:17
Excellent info, thanks guys. You just can't have too much reference.:salute:

ARDVARK
August 6th, 2010, 01:26
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14635&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1281006556

This looks epic!

SADT
August 6th, 2010, 04:00
Hi baz,

Me want, me want..... Will the navigator equipment be functional? Will you also simulate the intricacies of the Sperry A3? :salute:

bazzar
August 6th, 2010, 04:25
Yes the navigator station is functional. The Sperry is actually not that sophisticated. In fact the stock Microsoft version is incorrect and does not simulate the real thing properly. The original Sperry merely "locked" the pitch and heading. The difficult bit is coding the adjusters and speed valves to operate the Gyro-pilot without banking the aircraft. We're on it.:engel016:

starlifter
August 6th, 2010, 11:45
14764 Would this help on the AC-47 version?

stansdds
August 6th, 2010, 14:12
Yes the navigator station is functional. The Sperry is actually not that sophisticated. In fact the stock Microsoft version is incorrect and does not simulate the real thing properly. The original Sperry merely "locked" the pitch and heading. The difficult bit is coding the adjusters and speed valves to operate the Gyro-pilot without banking the aircraft. We're on it.:engel016:
Another mistake by MS on the DC-3? Why does that not surprise me?

bazzar
August 6th, 2010, 14:51
Yes I must say that I thought at the time that if you are going to release a simulator to celebrate a "Century of Flight" and have such an icon as part of it, at least Microsoft would go the mile to get it right. It appears not.

bazzar
August 6th, 2010, 15:07
14764 Would this help on the AC-47 version?

We have quite a bit on the guns themselves but not so much on the ancilliary equipment. We have to watch the polygon counts in these models so we need to pick the most representative items to model. That's one picture I don't have so thanks for posting.

roger-wilco-66
August 6th, 2010, 17:30
Yes I must say that I thought at the time that if you are going to release a simulator to celebrate a "Century of Flight" and have such an icon as part of it, at least Microsoft would go the mile to get it right. It appears not.

Well, that is your chance :-)
I really look forward to this! I think I will re-instate my flights over the hump (CBI scenario) with this C-47!

Cheers,
Mark

starlifter
August 6th, 2010, 18:14
14785Interior of AC-47.

starlifter
August 6th, 2010, 18:19
14786 Tail view with some skin detail.

bazzar
August 7th, 2010, 14:54
Hardly a skin, more of a shell really...:d

roger-wilco-66
August 7th, 2010, 15:03

you just have to goto to love that :-)

cheers,
mark

stansdds
August 7th, 2010, 16:03
Oh, I get it. I was thinking of something completely different. http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/stansdds/Smilies/obszoener.gif

starlifter
August 8th, 2010, 05:14
14934 Great sense of humor!:toilet: Here's some of her "body".

bazzar
August 8th, 2010, 13:56
Nice shot, that shows the gun deflection nicely.

Javis
August 8th, 2010, 18:05
Nice shot, that shows the gun deflection nicely.

You mean the shot in stansdds's post ??.... :costum:

Btw, can't tell you how i hate to see my beloved friendly Gooney bird dressed up like that but that's just me..

cheers,
jan

Martyn
September 2nd, 2010, 05:07
Here are some shots of the latest beta. Plenty of features to play with!

(More pics here: http://www.justflight.com/developProduct.asp?pid=532#)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Nortmar/Image8-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Nortmar/Image7-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Nortmar/Image6-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Nortmar/Image5-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Nortmar/Image4-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Nortmar/Image3-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Nortmar/Image2-1.jpg

Roadburner440
September 2nd, 2010, 05:34
Simply sick.. this is definately a must buy. Right along with the Comet. Excellent work!

gera
September 2nd, 2010, 07:12
How about getting them a little bit dirty??? check Color Movies of WW2..those pics look as if it just rolled out of the factory and if I remember right those used in D-Day were really "Matt".....just a thought to make it more "real".

Tim-HH
September 2nd, 2010, 07:34
How about getting them a little bit dirty??? check Color Movies of WW2..those pics look as if it just rolled out of the factory and if I remember right those used in D-Day were really "Matt".....just a thought to make it more "real".

Yes, adding some dirt and shadows would be a good idea!

Currently the textures are looking far too artificial for my taste... :kilroy:

Greetings
Tim

Crusader
September 2nd, 2010, 13:47
Oh, I get it. I was thinking of something completely different. http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/stansdds/Smilies/obszoener.gif

I got to get my mind out of the gutter . I was thinking the same thing and at my age that could be dangerous .

bazzar
September 2nd, 2010, 15:39
Night ops...

bazzar
September 3rd, 2010, 23:00

Absolutely. The final textures will be nice and matt for the "D-day" schemes.

SADT
September 4th, 2010, 23:01
I hope you include a 1930s Eastern Airlines repaint, that is a classic for me. As well as BEA.

robcap
September 5th, 2010, 00:42
Or a model with the pax door on the right hand side.

SADT
September 5th, 2010, 00:46
Oh yes, that would be good too, Just like many US airlines had it back then.

Martyn
September 13th, 2010, 05:31
Some shots taken during a multiplayer session, featuring the upcoming C-47 and the BoB Spitfire:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1197/dc3z.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9716/dc3escort4.jpg
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9830/dc3escort5.jpg
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6232/dc3escort2.jpg
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/4319/dc31.jpg

roger-wilco-66
September 13th, 2010, 05:43
ahhhh *drool*

:ernae:

bazzar
September 13th, 2010, 14:45
Nice shots Martyn.:wavey:

TeiscoDelRay
October 7th, 2010, 09:37
Looking forward to putting some paint on this one.

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a
DC-3 to your ass." “Buffalo” Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo
Airways

OleBoy
October 7th, 2010, 10:19
I just caught drift of this model happening. How I missed it, I have no idea.

Oh my god, that work is incredible!!
...I'm ecstatic. A real gem being born.

A beautiful piece of history that has a home with me.

SADT
October 7th, 2010, 15:27
Just Flight have just updated the DC-3 webpage with prices for the download and boxed editions: http://www.justflight.com/developProduct.asp?pid=532

And have also announced a DC-3 expansion pack: http://www.justflight.com/developProduct.asp?pID=568

Just an observation: Some of the more "classic" DC-3 liveries are only in the expansion pack........ (Eastern, BEA, KLM, Buffalo)

OleBoy
October 7th, 2010, 15:44
When it's released, I'll pay it. It will be well worth it.

SADT
October 7th, 2010, 15:50
Same here.

I wasnt challenging JF's pricing, just commenting ;)

MM
October 7th, 2010, 16:17
Baz, are you all going to allow freeware repaints?

OleBoy
October 7th, 2010, 16:23
Oh, I wasn't even heading that direction.
....I do have one gripe for what it's worth.

Why sell the repaints as a huge package like that? I would much rather see the paints sold by country. Say, break them down some how. Rather than being forced to buy the whole works.

I guess I'll be passing on the expansion at that rate.

Roadburner440
October 7th, 2010, 17:53
That is looking really good, and at a great price as well. Going to have to pick this classic up.. Cannot wait for the Dehavilland Comet to finally be finished though. Hopefully that is what will be after this release.

Martyn
October 8th, 2010, 00:09
Are you all going to allow freeware repaints?

Hi Mike,

Of course, we very much welcome the creation of freeware repaints!

Thanks
Martyn

Martyn
October 8th, 2010, 00:18
Same here.

I wasnt challenging JF's pricing, just commenting ;)

With the amount of content in this product, past pricing would have placed this product at the £34.99 price point. As we understand times are generally pretty tough right now, we are placing more of an emphasis on offering a cheaper 'base-pack' for those on a budget. Customers that wish to have all the content can still purchase everything, for the same price as they would have in the past.

We'll be offering a great deal shortly for those that want to purchase both packs. I'll be sure to return with details when the offer starts. It will be very tempting (I would say that...).

I'll also be taking several sets of screenshots soon, each set concentrating on a particular aspect of the aircraft (VC, cabin, exterior, animations etc). The more that I test this aircraft, the more detail I discover. Barry has done a truly excellent job! :jump:

calypsos
October 8th, 2010, 00:22
It's an interesting thought, I would buy the original, but would wait for the painters to do the 'extension' pack liveries for free. With a good paint kit, there are enough possibilities to keep someone busy for years.

I guess there are still loads of simmers who just do not realise what a lot of stuff can still be had for free, if you know where to look. Probably about 60% of FSX users still only fly default aircraft too!

Martyn
October 8th, 2010, 00:25
but would wait for the painters to do the 'extension' pack liveries for free

Fair point, but worth noting that the expansion pack contains more than just liveries e.g. the C-47 glider tug

Trust me, when you see the offer we'll be announcing shortly, you might just be tempted to get both :wiggle:

TeaSea
October 8th, 2010, 12:58
Or a model with the pax door on the right hand side.

Bless you!

This sounds funny, but a few months ago I got a tour of a DC-3 restored to 1940's vintage airlines, seats and all....

I kept thinking that there was something about it which was bothering me.....your post just brought it forward.

THE DOOR WAS ON THE WRONG SIDE!!!

Okay, maybe "wrong" is the "wrong" word to use....but that was what was bugging me.

Now, when are we getting the beauty? One can never have enough DC3/C47's.

bazzar
October 8th, 2010, 14:58
There's a bewildering array of different fitouts in the DC3. Doors were left or right side, cargo hatches varied in size and position, there were converted C47s, some had tailcones others not, different engine combinations and much more.

Operators ordered different window configurations and radio and navigation equipment varied which is why you see some with whip aeriels and some with loops. Others kept the astrodome when some did not.

To simulate every version of the C47 and DC3 would require about 20 models to cover the basic known versions. Then come the re-powers. Various turboprops, bigger, squarer fins and rudders, smaller and larger wheel/tyre combinations. You'll find cockpit windows differ too. Some restored examples have single pane glass across the front "V".

Finally, no two cockpits are the same anywhere.

So, as you can see, there is no definitive DC3. Just a LOT of research and building for the developer!

We have found that selecting subjects was the most difficult thing. A machine from one particular airline will have say, door on right, hatch on left. So, you think right, we have one of those in the mix. Then you discover they ordered 8 windows on the left and no nav station for more passengers. So, if you model that one, there's yet another model to do... and do you do another VC for it too? See what I mean?....:wiggle:

Roger
October 8th, 2010, 15:06
It's going to be a great package!

SADT
October 8th, 2010, 17:05
This should be one jam-packed aircraft! :jump:

Martyn
October 29th, 2010, 01:38
Here are some new shots showing the various cabins and a selection of the variants included.

A video will be available soon!

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/WindscreenWipers.jpg

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/AC47Cabin.jpg

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/C47Cabin.jpg

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/C47s.jpg

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/DakotaCabin.jpg

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/DC3Cabin.jpg

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/DC3s.jpg

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/Nav.jpg

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/WacoCabin.jpg

http://microsites.justflight.info/Screenshots/DC3/WacoCockpit.jpg

rohan
October 29th, 2010, 03:21
Looks great - I particularly like the Lufthansa paint and, of course, the AC-47. But I have to ask an awkward question - will this pack come with a proper paint kit, layered with all the panel lines and other details already included ?
thanks in advance,
Ro

CG_1976
October 29th, 2010, 05:54
:jawdrop::applause::jump:Ah them pics are like smelling the Avgas and fumes of Buffalo's DC-3's every morning at work. I have my CC waiting.

RAS_JF
October 29th, 2010, 06:39
Just for you, CG...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs931.snc4/74415_446868993498_15266573498_5553050_194856_n.jp g

Bjoern
October 29th, 2010, 08:20
Daaaang! Wind screen wiper trails!

Skyhawk18
October 29th, 2010, 09:12
[QUOTE=stansdds;414852]Check out CalClassics for FSX DC-4, DC-6, DC-7, Constellations, and Convairs.
http://www.calclassic.com/

Don't think they're FSX native:p:

Looking forward to the DC-3/C-47

CG_1976
October 29th, 2010, 12:46
@Ras_JF, that has my chops watering:salute:

bazzar
October 29th, 2010, 15:21
Thanks for the kind words Martyn. Just a note on paintkits. These C47s and DC3s contain so many litle points of difference and areas where mapping has to be done differently to capture the look and feel of the old airliners, we have produced two different layered kits which relate to the two main groups of models. You won't be able to slap paint on a Wright nacelle and expect it to appear on a Pratt&Whitney. Get them crossed and you'll have a disaster! You have been warned!

Other than that, they come with the usual layers including the base colours, rivet detail and outlines and dds files and anybody with a bit of potatoshop knowlege will manage fine.:engel016:

peter12213
October 29th, 2010, 15:29
Stunning work!

rohan
October 29th, 2010, 19:05
bazzar,
thanks for the update on the paint kits,
Ro

Paul K
October 31st, 2010, 13:15
Still not convinced that nose is 100% right, but it looks a great package. I wonder if the Waco can be employed to deliver cargo in Air Hauler ?

bazzar
October 31st, 2010, 16:27
This might help to convince you...

Here we have a shot of the real thing, a side render from the 3D model, a mask from the 3D model and an overlay of the mask over the real shot.

Allowing for camera angles in the real world, I'd say she was pretty close...

This particlular military C47 is built over factory plans. Hope this helps.:engel016:

OleBoy
October 31st, 2010, 16:41
Bazzar...you win. Looks pretty dang good!

MM
October 31st, 2010, 16:52
Either that...or Douglas got the shape wrong.
;)

bazzar
October 31st, 2010, 16:56
Yeah I think they needed a few more polygons in this one...;)

oldpropfan
October 31st, 2010, 18:33
I like the character in that picture, think I'll use it as a desktop for awhile. Really looking forward to the release, looks like a great piece of work.

bazzar
October 31st, 2010, 19:06
I have it as a desktop myself. It sums up the DC3 character for me for sure.

AussieMan
October 31st, 2010, 20:27
Hey Bazz, don't really care about what models there are as I am sharpening my credit card for it. All I want is a proper Viewmaster so I can repaint it in Airlines Of NSW colours.

I have the book "DC-3 Downunder" which covers a Myriad of paint schemes for use in Australia. Unfortunately a lot of them had the 8 windows on the left side. Apparently the 8th window was cut where the navigator or radio operator sat.

Following developments with great interest.

Cheers
Pat

Paul K
October 31st, 2010, 23:35
This might help to convince you...

Here we have a shot of the real thing, a side render from the 3D model, a mask from the 3D model and an overlay of the mask over the real shot.

Allowing for camera angles in the real world, I'd say she was pretty close...

This particlular military C47 is built over factory plans. Hope this helps.:engel016:

That looks spot on; it must be the view from the 45 or 325 degree bearing thats doing it. That or my varifocals...

Anyway, it all looks good, and hallelujah! NOT a fast military jet! Put me down for one.

bazzar
November 1st, 2010, 14:27
FSX is excellent but it can't replicate human sight and unfortunately will distort on most angles.

In the VC for example, it is not uncommon to have to "cheat" the size of components to get them to appear the right size when "sitting" in the seat. f course, when you start poking around with the Track IR the complaints start rolling in! You can't win.

It's also a reason I don't like to see too many Max renders. A 3D programme will also distort horribly unless you set up the render exactly right, which takes a lot of time. Renders are really another "cheat" as they don't show the model as it would appear in the sim.

Paul K
November 2nd, 2010, 15:39
Well, if its right from the front, side and top, then the view from any other angle can't be argued with. I was never entirely certain that I was right about the shape of the nose; it was such a subliminal thing...in one screen shot it would look fine, in the next one it seemed slightly distorted. I have a similar problem with A2A's B-17 roof in the area of the radio compartment.

Anyway, Bazzar, all doubts are laid to rest. I am thoroughly looking forward to this terrific package being released. The whole thing looks just wonderful.

bazzar
November 3rd, 2010, 14:24
Thanks Paul, much appreciated. I can tell you that a LOT of work has gone into this package.

Martyn
November 17th, 2010, 05:17
Hi all,

DC-3 Legends of Flight is now available to pre-order. Pre-order before 26th Nov and you get the expansion pack free. Details here: http://www.justflight.com/newsDetail.asp?newsid=1785

Thank you to everyone who gave us feedback and suggestions over the past couple of months. I hope everyone enjoys the product :salute:

Thanks

rohan
November 17th, 2010, 06:30
Martyn,
that's a rather tempting offer ... thanks,
Ro

mal998
November 17th, 2010, 06:43
OK, done.

Good deal, nice savings...looking forward to this set.

PhillRoath
November 17th, 2010, 07:05

Now that we can pre-order, I have a very minor question. Did a search here and in general and on Just Flight pages but cant' find the answer. Does this product have removable yokes? I thought I read a few months back that it did, but now am not so sure.

It's not a deal breaker but I like that feature. Appreciate any information.

Thanks, Phill

Martyn
November 17th, 2010, 07:23
Hi Phil,

No removable yokes on this aircraft I'm afraid.

Thanks
Martyn

PhillRoath
November 17th, 2010, 07:49
Hi Phil,

No removable yokes on this aircraft I'm afraid.

Thanks
Martyn

OK - no problem, still looks like a fantastic product. Think you for the fast response.

Phill

AussieMan
November 17th, 2010, 21:19
Order placed. Been waiting a long time for this. Great work bazz.

Cheers
Pat

Martyn
November 23rd, 2010, 07:56
A preview video:

94Jqa7rWhQM

gera
November 23rd, 2010, 08:06
Thanks Paul, much appreciated. I can tell you that a LOT of work has gone into this package.

Do you plan to make the Turbo version, the Basler 67 ?....I think it would be a hit since there is only one and very poor. Just for it I would order ASAP!!!!

mal998
November 23rd, 2010, 08:06
OK, here's a question for anyone who can answer...can the aircraft and glider be flown individually by 2 different players in multiplayer?

Let's say I pilot the C-47 and my bud is in the glider, can I release him to fly the glider on his own?

Cirrus N210MS
November 23rd, 2010, 14:40
NICE

:salute::wiggle:

CG_1976
November 23rd, 2010, 14:44
I got the Runway at YZF warmed up to welcome the Buffalo Paint. Banging monkey wrenches on a barrel of Avgas:jump: and getting the Herman readied for a roast.

peter12213
November 23rd, 2010, 15:22
Bloody amazing!

Martyn
November 23rd, 2010, 23:54
OK, here's a question for anyone who can answer...can the aircraft and glider be flown individually by 2 different players in multiplayer?

Let's say I pilot the C-47 and my bud is in the glider, can I release him to fly the glider on his own?

Unfortunately I'm not sure that will be possible. There are two glider related variants:

C-47 glider tug - You fly the C-47, towing a Waco glider. The glider is part of the aircraft model itself, so cannot be flown by another user. You can release the glider, causing it to disconnect, drift off and then disappear.
Waco glider - You fly the Waco glider and can be towed by a C-47. It uses the FSX tow aircraft functionality, simply replacing the Maule with a C-47 (using a tool that is included with the software).

Thanks
Martyn

TeaSea
November 25th, 2010, 06:43
Well, I took the plunge and have pre-ordered.

A man just can't have enough versions of the DC-3.

You need to understand how incredibly cheap I am to get an idea of how much I love that airplane.

Martyn
January 14th, 2011, 04:53
Hi all,

Unfortunately our friends at Aeroplane Heaven have been affected by the recent floods in Australia. We hope to have the DC-3 service pack ready soon, but this has obviously caused some problems.

I'll keep you updated!

Thanks
Martyn

Daveroo
January 14th, 2011, 09:19
no worries mates...im sure everyone understands the situation...floodig takes priority over flight sim...

icarus
January 14th, 2011, 10:51
Please do remember that Maam-Sim is not your average commercial FS aircraft developer in need of the money to put food on table.

Not to be offensive but if i had to put food on the table with aircrafts i will not make rare aircrafts but a dc-3 too or other famous aircrafts...not all payware think only to put food on the table...sometimes i eat also standing up so not always i need the table (dont want be polemic with anyone is only a free thought, and i am not better than anyone around here)

i pass at least two hours daily reading about old models (i could use better this time releasing models), history, manufacturers,etc it's only pure passion as in past was with basketball, motorbyke and now aircrafts. with aircrafts you can fly real, virtual or with your fantasy..what's better?

James
January 14th, 2011, 13:17
I don't suppose that there will be a Piedmont Airlines livery included? :jump:

Martyn
February 22nd, 2011, 06:32
Hi,

We have released a service pack for DC-3 Legends of Flight:

http://www.justflight.com/faqs.asp?drdProduct=255#Update448

Thanks
Martyn

CodyValkyrie
February 22nd, 2011, 07:44
Thank you Martyn!

flaviossa
February 22nd, 2011, 08:43
Don´t isntall this sp1!! t messes all with the dc3 install!
In the end of the sp1 install this error always appears:
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/687jf_error.jpg

Translating: "The system cannot find the specified file".

And when the error appears, the sp1 install aborts and the dc3 becomes unflyable. This error appears with A FRESH INSTALL OF THE DC3!! Without any modifications of course.
I have already tried to install this sp1 3 times all with this error. After that, the dc3 is broken and do not work properly anymore. If someone fro JF looks over here, please fix this.

Thanks.

pbearsailor
February 22nd, 2011, 08:57
Same problem for me.

-steve

Martyn
February 22nd, 2011, 23:57
Our 'installer-man' will be addressing this issue today. I'll let you know when the service pack installer has been updated.

Thanks
Martyn

Martyn
February 23rd, 2011, 00:59
You can now re-download the service pack.

Thanks
Martyn

flaviossa
February 23rd, 2011, 02:28
Thanks Martyn! :salute:

Crusader
February 23rd, 2011, 03:45
You can now re-download the service pack.

Thanks
Martyn

I just tried re downloaded service pack fix and got the same error as above were getting . do you have a direct link to Service Pack1 updated file as site list 2 or 3 separate downloads (?)

Martyn
February 23rd, 2011, 05:02
Hi Crusader,

We are currently looking into the problem. Some people are still experiencing this error, whilst others are not. Could anyone experiencing the problem please submit a support request via our DC-3 support page?

Thanks
Martyn

flaviossa
February 23rd, 2011, 06:08
I´ll try tonight and report back.

Martyn
February 23rd, 2011, 07:02
The problem has been identified and fixed, so please re-download the service pack. Apologies for the inconvenience.

PhillRoath
February 23rd, 2011, 07:18
The problem has been identified and fixed, so please re-download the service pack. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Downloaded 25 minutes ago and attempted to run. The SP1 module fails and does nothing.

32148 32149

Phill

PS - I do not have the expansion pack and yes I have made some mods for my own personal use. Would prefer to be able to direct the updates to a temp folder so I can manually get what I want. If that's not possible, then no problem. This is one of my lesser used products.

Martyn
February 23rd, 2011, 07:33
Hi Phil,

Unfortunately I can't replicate that issue and we've had no other reports (yet) of this problem. Please submit a support request and we'll try and identify what's causing the problem.

http://www.justflight.com/supportrequest.asp?supportProductID=255

Thanks
Martyn

pbearsailor
February 23rd, 2011, 11:41
Don't know how many times they've updated the installer, but I finally got the thing to install after 3 tries and about a gig of downloads. I had both the problems mentioned above, but at least for me, it works now.

-steve :wavey:

flaviossa
February 23rd, 2011, 12:00
Steve,
What you did different in your success try? Or you just keep installing it multiple times until success?

pbearsailor
February 23rd, 2011, 12:04
I just downloaded the installer again. First time I had the same issue as you. Second download was smaller, so I suspected issues with it, and it wouldn't run at all. This morning I tried one more download, it's 357 megs and it installed without a hitch.

Seems ok now. I've just run the sim to see if most of the versions would load ok and they did. Haven't checked to see what issues have been corrected.

Hope it works for you as well now.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

flaviossa
February 23rd, 2011, 12:10
I´ll do another download to be sure that i have the new version.
Thanks Steve!

Crusader
February 23rd, 2011, 16:12

Works like a charm now . No problems and installed first try . Thanks for all the hard work on the product and the update . Remains one of my favorite planes .

Rich

flaviossa
February 23rd, 2011, 16:21
The new version of the SP1 worked here perfectly too. Thanks for the hard work. Doing a lot of flights with REAL livery here in Brazil .... Thanks again! :salute:

robert41
February 23rd, 2011, 17:45
Thanks Martyn. Have 'em working.

PhillRoath
February 24th, 2011, 06:38
Don't know how many times they've updated the installer, but I finally got the thing to install after 3 tries and about a gig of downloads. I had both the problems mentioned above, but at least for me, it works now.

-steve :wavey:

Success here also. After thinking for a bit, looked at the downloaded file and saw it was ony 151MB, not the 365MB as advertised. Downloaded again and got the whole thing this time and the install was good.

Phill :applause: