PDA

View Full Version : Theres got to be a easer way !

XLR8
May 15th, 2010, 10:28
Hi all, I am trying to narrow down some of the aircraft in FSX . I have to many of the same aircraft .Sample the freeware F35 has about a kazillon types and sqds . How can I use a few . I have tryed removing the textures,mdl file and so om . I think the biggest problem is know what aircraft belongs to what . Is the a tool for this .

Snave
May 15th, 2010, 10:56
Hi all, I am trying to narrow down some of the aircraft in FSX . I have to many of the same aircraft .Sample the freeware F35 has about a kazillon types and sqds . How can I use a few . I have tryed removing the textures,mdl file and so om . I think the biggest problem is know what aircraft belongs to what . Is the a tool for this .

Open the aircraft .cfg. You delete all the sections that start [fltsim.x] where `x` represents a number. As you can see, each of those refers to a specific paintjob, represented by the line
texture=blue
where `blue` is the name of the texture.blue folder also in the same folder.

Armed with this information you can delete any and all repaints you don't want or need, but remember to renumber those that remain so that the sequence remains fltsim.`0.1.2.3.4.5.` and not `0.2.5.6.9...`

Thats all there is to it, except to recommend that you first create a backup of the aircraft.cfg and don't delete the texture files, just move them outside of FSX to a backup folder somewhere so you can get 'em back if needed without reinstalling.

majorv
May 15th, 2010, 11:33
Snave's suggested approach should work fine. Here is another:

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=16741.0

Snave
May 15th, 2010, 11:56
Yes, that system works as well. And avoids any AI issues.
But does have the unwanted side-effect of retaining the effect of loading time for the GUI.

It's all about what you want to achieve - often, just unchecking the `Show All Variations` box in the sim works almost as well!

It has always puzzled me why we don't have a right click option under each aircraft .bmp on the selection screen to `show all options` and then open a second window with the paints for that model and that model alone...