PDA

View Full Version : 'Youngest To Sail Around The World'

Panther_99FS
May 15th, 2010, 09:26
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2010/0514/Australian-Jessica-Watson-16-to-become-youngest-to-sail-around-the-world

Henry
May 15th, 2010, 10:55
34ft sailboat
she has my vote
H

Dain Arns
May 15th, 2010, 12:29
I don't know what is greater.
The fact she did it, or the faith, trust, and support of her parents that she could do it. :applause:

I would have been a nervous wreck, if it was my child, while she was out there. :icon_lol:

arrowmaker
May 15th, 2010, 13:08
There will always be arguments about the rationale of parents who let their offspring set off, alone, and at such a young age, on a round the world venture. I'm not really interested in those who want to BE the youngest at so and so. I am interested, however, in those who want to see the world, at such a young age.

When I was young, one of the most inspiring stories, for me, was that of Robin Lee Graham who set out, age 16, in his fathers 24 foot sloop and returned 5 years later, having sailed around the world single handedly and having gotten married along the way.

I've lost count of how many times I read his book The Dove. I am certain however, that at the time there would have been plenty who would having called his father irresponsible. The same accusations fly today, I am sure, and even though the critiscims are understandable it does not make the stories of those who undertake such adventures, and at such at young age, anything less than inspirational.

Wing_Z
May 15th, 2010, 13:48
There was a little argument about letting a young person go off and do risky stuff.
I guess it will go on until someone is lost at sea - a Dutch Court I think has stopped a 13-year-old from having a go.

Can't quite figure out why she didn't comply with the requirements for sailing around the world - if you're going to do it, surely you'd make sure you did it right??

I haven't seen Sydney harbour quite so full of boats (3,000+) since the QE2 made it's final voyage...the Aussies welcomed her as a hero.

As to relevance, how about this one:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2010/0323/Voyage-of-recycled-Plastiki-to-sail-through-Pacific-garbage-patch

Ken Stallings
May 15th, 2010, 13:54
I'm certainly happy that she made it alive and well.

But, would the act have been any less noteworthy if she had been 17? I think not, but the media would have totally ignored it. The risks wouldn't have been any less. The skill needed (and yes also the luck) wouldn't have been any less. But, the media would have nearly completely ignored it.

So, this leads to my concern ... now, someone has to be closer to 15 to get the same attention. Logically, at some point, the age becomes so young that everyone thinks the idea of a solo sailing voyage around the world is child abuse. Many smart and moral people thought this voyage was negligent. I don't know.

I just wish the media would stop focusing on the age and focus on the accomplishment. She has a grand story to tell and I'm glad she can tell it.

Ken

demorier
May 16th, 2010, 00:48
Well said Ken. I hate all this negative BS all the time...the knockers can all go jump in the lake, I don't think they have had a moment of joy in their whole lives. :ernae:

tigisfat
May 16th, 2010, 00:59
I remember back in the 90's when a VERY young girl, maybe 8 or so, was going to fly across the country from the SF Bay Area. Allegedly, she was a capable pilot, but the rules being what they are, she had an adult safety observer and CFI with her even though she was to do all the work. It was to be quite a feat!! Sadly, and I can't remember what went wrong, but the airplane went down and both were killed. I wish I knew enough about what happened to provide you guys with more details.

edit: here's the story. I got a bit of it wrong, but it's still a tragic and interesting story. http://tech.mit.edu/V116/N18/pilot.18w.html

Any parent who has given their child the tools, state of mind, resources and help needed to help them become so proficient at a task such as solo sailing deserves a medal themselves. I stand in awe of any parent who has a child that can sail around the world.

We coddle teenagers too much. There is no reason why smart teenagers shouldn't be out learning serious lessons and advanced 'adult' skills. The ones with the demonstrated ability and proficiency should be allowed to go out and achieve world-class goals. 'Too young' is only a state of mind. This 16 year old girl's accomplishment is remarkable and incredible at any age.

Skittles
May 16th, 2010, 07:30
http://tech.mit.edu/V116/N18/pilot.18w.html

The title of that article is stupid.

The 7 year old didn't crash the plane, the PIC did.

Panther_99FS
May 16th, 2010, 08:15
Australia gave her a "hero's welcome".....:)
-> http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2010/0516/Round-the-world-teenage-sailor-Jessica-Watson-gets-hero-s-welcome-in-Australia

Ken Stallings
May 16th, 2010, 09:14
I like what the international sailing federation has done. They have decided to no longer recognize age-related and gender-related records. I think they have made the right choice here. They simply look at the accomplishment.

Here is the reality ...

This feat of sailing solo around the world can really only be tied, not broken.

So, the focus should be on the skill of the sailor as well as the enjoyment of the feat.

Ken

tigisfat
May 16th, 2010, 23:44
The title of that article is stupid.

The 7 year old didn't crash the plane, the PIC did.

You're right. I don't doubt that a smart seven year old is capable of flying to PPL level proficiency, but I wonder how much of the total flying was done by her.

tigisfat
May 16th, 2010, 23:48
I think gender, race and age related international achievements should go away everywhere. For the most part in the Western world, there are very few types of people wholly disadvantaged just because of the gender, race or age.

I've never seen Debbie Rihn-Harvey as a 'woman pilot', she's just a darn good aerobatic pilot. You can't treat folks differently. My appreciation for the Tuskeegee Airman may be partly based on what they did for black people, but it's not because they were black themselves------They weren't 'black pilots with an incredible record' they were pilots with an incredible record.

I'd like to say I wouldn't treat this fine young woman any differently on account of her age or gender, but I am 100 percent in awe of the example she's set for 16 year olds everywhere. This is how it should be.

OBIO
May 17th, 2010, 04:37
I am amazed at how many people say "She's too young to do this" or "He's too young to do that." It wasn't all that many generations ago that 14, 15 and 16 year olds were running farms, working in factories, getting married and starting families, and fighting in and dying in wars. And I'm not talking about this happening in some remote mountain nation....I'm talking about right here in the U. S. of A. There was a time when "teenagers" were expected to contribute to the family and to society...now all they are expected to do is go to school and use their cell phones to the point of addiction. Society has made life too easy for children...they don't grow up with the grit and sinew they used to grow up with. Heck, there is not a single teenager I know that I would trust to drive my piece of crap car....but a hundred and fifty years ago, teenagers were trusted to handle live stock, run a farm and to serve on the front lines (the Civil War saw many many 15 and 16 year old lads fighting on both sides). I think it's high time we stop coddling teenagers like they are still children and expect them to conduct themselves like what they truly could be....young adults. When we start holding them to higher standards and expecting more from them than just a video game collection and a high cell phone bill, they will once again stop being freaks with weird haircuts and bad vocabulary.

OBIO

tigisfat
May 17th, 2010, 21:06
I am amazed at how many people say "She's too young to do this" or "He's too young to do that." It wasn't all that many generations ago that 14, 15 and 16 year olds were running farms, working in factories, getting married and starting families, and fighting in and dying in wars. And I'm not talking about this happening in some remote mountain nation....I'm talking about right here in the U. S. of A. There was a time when "teenagers" were expected to contribute to the family and to society...now all they are expected to do is go to school and use their cell phones to the point of addiction. Society has made life too easy for children...they don't grow up with the grit and sinew they used to grow up with. Heck, there is not a single teenager I know that I would trust to drive my piece of crap car....but a hundred and fifty years ago, teenagers were trusted to handle live stock, run a farm and to serve on the front lines (the Civil War saw many many 15 and 16 year old lads fighting on both sides). I think it's high time we stop coddling teenagers like they are still children and expect them to conduct themselves like what they truly could be....young adults. When we start holding them to higher standards and expecting more from them than just a video game collection and a high cell phone bill, they will once again stop being freaks with weird haircuts and bad vocabulary.

OBIO

Well said. Sadly, this may be partly attributed to the divide in society we're experiencing. The further we move away from capitalism, the harder is is for someone to achieve greatness and success with nothing but hard work and determination. It's getting harder and harder to do go to college and advanced vocational programs. If I hadn't already had my flight training done, I don't know that I could do it these days. It's not about sticking with it anymore or working hard. You gotta come up with exorbitant amounts of cash.

The middle class used to be America's strength, but it's dissappearing now.

If I had kids, I wouldn't pay for a darn thing besides college tuition and board, and every summer from 13 on up they'd be going to some kind of incredible learning experience away from home. There'd be no hanging out and whining with friends like I did.

Ken Stallings
May 18th, 2010, 13:46
I'm not so sure we should boast about our ancestors putting 15 and 16 year old children on the battlefield to fight and die! Nor the same regarding children working in factories.

Farm labor in the summer for teens is still happening across the nation and that's OK with me as it's physical labor that simply keeps kids busy in summer and makes them appreciate the value of money earned.

Also, a lot of the reason for that stuff even back then was caused from adult parents dying too young and forcing the children to work to survive. Again, that's something that has changed and I think we should regard that as a very positive thing.

True coddling on the other hand is a different issue. When that takes place, I agree it is bad and should stop.

Cheers,

Ken