PDA

View Full Version : Funny default settings in FS2004

Gwynedd
November 12th, 2008, 12:10
I have a really strange problem in my FS2004 software that I can't seem to solve. Every time I try to take off now, the aircraft goes into hard right rudder, skids and leaves the runway and rolls over.
I have re-calibrated my joystick settings numerous times. Autorudder is on, but it has to be. I don't have a set-up with rudder pedals. It does not matter if I accelerate very slowly or in a normal manner, this is happening. It does not matter if I am using a Cessna 172 or a Boeing 777, it still happens.
The only clue I have is that I tried the Ryan Spirit of St. Louis on Saturday night, and it is set by default to be unstable. Is it possible the game software overwrote every aircraft default setting to be like Spirit of St. Louis? This one is really befuddling me, so any help will be appreciated.
Gwen

pointy31
November 12th, 2008, 12:21
You may have the autopilot engaged, press "z" to disengage. It's happened to me many times...:isadizzy:

Gwynedd
November 12th, 2008, 12:38
I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks!

pfflyers
November 12th, 2008, 14:24
Another thing to check is go into the control assignments menu and see if there is an axis assignment for the rudder. If so, delete it.

My sim started doing somthing very similar all of a sudden even though I had made no changes to control settings, had never had rudder pedals, and had never calibrated a rudder system of any sort.

In the control assignments menu I found that there was an axis assigned to the rudder, I quess by default. Why the sim waited months before noticing that there was no input on that axis I don't know, but 'no input' told the sim I wanted 'full right' rudder.

Firebar
November 12th, 2008, 14:24
this occasionally happens to me to, especially if i've used slew mode. All I seem to have to do to fix it is tap the ruder pedals gently to one direction to get some deflection. The rudder zips to that point and then acts normally.

Gwynedd
November 12th, 2008, 19:28
Thanks to PF Flyers and Firebar as well. I will have to try this in the alter ego mode of my laptop. I'm running a MacPro dual core Intel model, so I need to switch over to Windows XP and give all of these suggestions a go. I will let you know how it comes out. ...(update) ...Yeah, okay doing a reset to default on the surface controls worked fine. I tried a 172, Piper Cub, even a Ford Tri-Motor and DC-3. They all were fine. Not sure if the autopilot "z" thing was involved, but at least I had no problems doing routine takeoffs, flights and landings. Thank you to everyone for the advice.