PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use Abacus FS Repaint?

Navy Chief
May 12th, 2010, 08:20
I bought the program years ago, but have never really messed with it.

Today I tried putting text on the Nose Landing Gear doors of the beta Razbam A-7E. Something I want to learn, because my idea is to put the names of some shipmates of mine who I worked with in various tail hook squadrons.

Anyway, it is simple to do, BUT (there's always a BUT, isn't there?) I can't figure out how to select the area of the texture, and invert it. Because if I type the same information for both Nose Landing Gear doors, the opposing side will be upside down. For now, I can only figure out how to do one side that will appear normal.

NC

falcon409
May 12th, 2010, 08:38
Chief, I've used FSRepaint for a long time, but not for repainting. I use it as a reference when doing liveries. I do the repaints in Paint Shop Pro, then load the airplane in repaint to check it. Light years quicker than having to load FSX every time you make a small change. So, if you have any paint program at all, for the simple work you're doing there, I would do it in that program and just use FSRepaint to check the results.

Dain Arns
May 12th, 2010, 08:52
Ditto.

To add, I use DXTBmp to convert .bmp files I alter in PSP to .dds format, apply alpha's etc.
Then use FS Repaint to look at the changes.
Then get frustrated at trying to get lines to match up, and move onto something else. :icon_lol:

It was very handy program for simple paint jobs many years ago. :kilroy:

Quixoticish
May 12th, 2010, 09:00
I used to use it for FS2004 but there are quite a few FSX addons that it won't open correctly so I don't really bother that much any more. Shame really, it beats firing up FSX to check if everything looks as it should.

I never used the repainting aspect of it, but as a quick little model/texture viewer it was fantastic. I don't suppose there are any alternatives that do work properly with FSX?

n4gix
May 12th, 2010, 12:30
I used to use it for FS2004 but there are quite a few FSX addons that it won't open correctly so I don't really bother that much any more. Shame really, it beats firing up FSX to check if everything looks as it should.

I never used the repainting aspect of it, but as a quick little model/texture viewer it was fantastic. I don't suppose there are any alternatives that do work properly with FSX?

Actually, Arno's marvelous ModelConverterX program is quite useful for loading any FSX model and viewing it with full texture's rendered in the hi-res viewport. It is also completely free, as are all of Arno's tools. :)

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX

Quixoticish
May 12th, 2010, 13:33
Actually, Arno's marvelous ModelConverterX program is quite useful for loading any FSX model and viewing it with full texture's rendered in the hi-res viewport. It is also completely free, as are all of Arno's tools. :)

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX

You, sir, are a god amongst men. This will undoubtedly save me hours when repainting.

TeiscoDelRay
May 12th, 2010, 14:13
I downloaded model x converter now maybe someone can tell me how to get an FSX plane to show? I tried clicking on the model, the textures,,nothing showed.
Thanks

Navy Chief
May 12th, 2010, 17:55
I downloaded a 30 Day trial of Paint Shop Pro. It is supposedly completely functional, but am not able to access .dds files.

Am assuming there is a plugin to allow me to do so? I am running Windows7.

NC

PutPut
May 12th, 2010, 18:04
I downloaded a 30 Day trial of Paint Shop Pro. It is supposedly completely functional, but am not able to access .dds files.

Am assuming there is a plugin to allow me to do so? I am running Windows7.

NC

I currently use PSP Photo Ultimate x2 and it does not list .dds files anywhere. I use DXTbmp or the last Microsoft Imagetool for converting to .dds.

Cheers, Paul

XLR8
May 12th, 2010, 18:09
I bought the program years ago, but have never really messed with it.

Today I tried putting text on the Nose Landing Gear doors of the beta Razbam A-7E. Something I want to learn, because my idea is to put the names of some shipmates of mine who I worked with in various tail hook squadrons.

Anyway, it is simple to do, BUT (there's always a BUT, isn't there?) I can't figure out how to select the area of the texture, and invert it. Because if I type the same information for both Nose Landing Gear doors, the opposing side will be upside down. For now, I can only figure out how to do one side that will appear normal.

NC

After you select the area of the plane to paint, texture . There is a button in the menu called images > It has a flip in there . I copy what I want and flip it,and them paste it

TeiscoDelRay
May 12th, 2010, 20:42
I downloaded model x converter now maybe someone can tell me how to get an FSX plane to show? I tried clicking on the model, the textures,,nothing showed.
Thanks

PutPut
May 12th, 2010, 20:47
Thanks

I never tried it until just now; I opened the .mdl file (the file not the folder) and it worked great. Nice looking render.

Paul

n4gix
May 12th, 2010, 21:03
Thanks

Import the .mdl file. You will need to set a path to the ..\texture folder. Read the very well written instruction manual. ;)

7692 (http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2167/mcx01.jpg)

falcon409
May 13th, 2010, 05:33
If nothing displays after you have selected the mdl file, then check the lower left for a small red circle with an exclamation mark in it. . .it's probably telling you it's an unrecognized mdl file.:salute:

TeiscoDelRay
May 13th, 2010, 07:42
Thanks I imported the mdl model file and the basic wire mesh model showed without texture. If a plane has several textures do I have to select one someplace or can I load them all?

TeiscoDelRay
May 13th, 2010, 08:44
Ok understand now,,I had to set the path to the exact texture I wanted to veiw..works great and will save alot of time. Thanks for the info!

TeiscoDelRay
May 13th, 2010, 11:19
One more question,,is there any way to refresh the model without closing down and reopening the program? This is a great program and it would be perfect if you could open it and it would go to the last model used only refreshed to see new work.