PDA

View Full Version : Russian answerto the F-22?

pilottj
May 11th, 2010, 21:21
Hey folks
I saw this pic of the Sukhoi T-50. What do you all think?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Sukhoi-T-50/1694101/L/

Cheers
TJ

tigisfat
May 11th, 2010, 21:24
Hey folks
I saw this pic of the Sukhoi T-50. What do you all think?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Air/Sukhoi-T-50/1694101/L/

Cheers
TJ

The Russians have had aircraft in varying levels of service for quite a few years that can outmaneuver the F-22. Being Russian, I'm sure this is a great aircraft, but I do wonder how it's avionics stack up against our modern jets. The F-22 is pretty long in the tooth, but it still has pretty capable avionics. We may never know the answer to that question. There are few true experts on Russian avionics out there, and I suspect that if one was about they wouldn't discuss it with us.

Quixoticish
May 12th, 2010, 00:13
The Russians have had aircraft in varying levels of service for quite a few years that can outmaneuver the F-22. Being Russian, I'm sure this is a great aircraft, but I do wonder how it's avionics stack up against our modern jets. The F-22 is pretty long in the tooth, but it still has pretty capable avionics. We may never know the answer to that question. There are few true experts on Russian avionics out there, and I suspect that if one was about they wouldn't discuss it with us.

Are you kidding? They have thought controlled weapons systems!

http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/013/000555_15.jpg

tigisfat
May 12th, 2010, 00:37
Are you kidding? They have thought controlled weapons systems!

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/forum%20commentary%20pictures/tumblr_kugf95XVXN1qzvqipo1_500-1.gif

deathfromafar
May 12th, 2010, 01:43
Nothing Russia currently makes can match the F-22 in 98% of comparative related specs.
Maneuverability- F-22 can match the SU-30MK/37 Mig-29VFT in Post Stall Pitch Axis Turn Rate all day long. The F-22's "Pedal Turn" capability exceeds the Sukhoi's Post Stall Available Directional Yaw Moments and is evenly matched with the Mig VFT. The T-50 with MATV capability will most likely match the same as the Mig and F-22. In this dept, it really boils down the the Pilot and their experience handling TVN power in Post Stall regimes.

Avionics- Hands down, the F-22. The F-22's Radar Fire Control, and JTIDS Datalink are unmatched.

The thing about the Raptors avionics, they have been through several design iterations and are pretty current in level Radar Technologies. Put it this way, in AESA type sets, the Raptor's Radar can cover 77% more area than any set currently used and it's scan speeds coupled with NCTR and Datalink with AWACS make it nearly impossible to get a RAWRS spike from the Raptor in an enemy aircraft. There's a lot of classified parts of the capability that go way farther than the above mentioned. In actual warfighting capability and planning, if the job is done right, the Raptor will clean the air and the strike capability will destroy what's left before it ever get's airborne.

As far as the T-50 goes, if more than 100 ever get built I will be very surprised. Market is small and getting smaller. Between the Eurofighter, Gripen, Superbug, and F-35(the 35 being so pricey, I expect it's foreign sales to go to the former mentioned), there's a lot of ready to go Jets that can take care of a country with good air and ground crews tending them.

Piglet
May 12th, 2010, 19:04
I think it looks cooler than the F-22. For some reason, I just never really liked how the F-22 looked.

Bjoern
May 12th, 2010, 20:34
The F-22's Radar Fire Control, and JTIDS Datalink are unmatched.

The Russians are so secretive about their stuff that I wouldn't put my money on that.

After all, they were the first to implement datalinks operationally.

deathfromafar
May 12th, 2010, 22:09
The Russians are so secretive about their stuff that I wouldn't put my money on that.

After all, they were the first to implement datalinks operationally.

Nope Nope Nope, go back before the Mig-31 and F-14A(AWG-9 System) w/ E-2 Hawkeye (which did that well before Mig-31),

The USAF SAGE System! Canada used it too integrated with ours.

deathfromafar
May 12th, 2010, 22:10
I think it looks cooler than the F-22. For some reason, I just never really liked how the F-22 looked.

Yeap Tim, I have to agree. The T-50 just looks cool ! Being a YF-23 lover, can imagine why! :gameon:

tigisfat
May 12th, 2010, 22:12
Nope Nope Nope, go back before the Mig-31 and F-14A(AWG-9 System) w/ E-2 Hawkeye (which did that well before Mig-31),

The USAF SAGE System! Canada used it too integrated with ours.

Yeah, there's some VERY old datalink stuff out there. Was it the F-102 or the F-106 that could be completely guided and instrumented from the ground guys with scopes on Russian bomber formations?

tigisfat
May 12th, 2010, 22:13

I don't like it either, and that's only because I was rooting for the 23.

deathfromafar
May 12th, 2010, 22:20
I don't like it either, and that's only because I was rooting for the 23.
Me too, I was so irked when the YF-23 lost! Rrrrrgggg!

Yeah, there's some VERY old datalink stuff out there. Was it the F-102 or the F-106 that could be completely guided and instrumented from the ground guys with scopes on Russian bomber formations?

Yes, SAGE controlled the Century Series Interceptors and the old BOMARC SAM's. Canada's part of SAGE was BOMARC's and if I'm not mistaken, maybe CF-101 Voodoo's later one. My dad was an ADC BOMARC Crewman in the 1950's. Heard a lot of stories about that stuff, not all of them good. LOL!

pilottj
May 12th, 2010, 23:04
Here is a side view of it. I too think it looks better than the F-22. You can definately see the Su-27 roots in it in this shot.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sukhoi/Sukhoi-T-50/1699085/L/

deathfromafar
May 12th, 2010, 23:08
Still think those Vert Stabs are kind of small for all that jet but hey, if it flies stable, it's all good.
Cool looking with the paint on it!

Bjoern
May 12th, 2010, 23:37

I'm talking mid-life/late-life MiG-23/21/19 here, not the later -31.

I can't exactly say what capabilities Lazur-M has/had, but in any case it could link to ground control stations...so fighter-fighter capability in later versions is quite probable.

tigisfat
May 12th, 2010, 23:41
Chris,

I'm still waiting to hear about the thought controlled weapons.

Quixoticish
May 12th, 2010, 23:46
Chris,

I'm still waiting to hear about the thought controlled weapons.

You must think in Russian!

tigisfat
May 12th, 2010, 23:50
You must think in Russian!

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/forum%20commentary%20pictures/Why.jpg

Quixoticish
May 13th, 2010, 01:48
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/forum%20commentary%20pictures/Why.jpg

So only Russians and Clint Eastwood can use it!

tigisfat
May 13th, 2010, 01:55
So only Russians and Clint Eastwood can use it!

hmmmm. I think you're onto something there.