PDA

View Full Version : Soesterberg AB closed down

Maarten -
November 12th, 2008, 08:42
A sad day for (military) aviation today: Soesterberg AB, the birthplace of Dutch aviation has closed down after having been in operation for 95(!) years.
Soesterberg has been a significant place not only for Dutch military aviation but for the early years of civil aviation too. Many pre-war KLM pilots got their wings there during the time they served with the Dutch forces.
For many Americans Soesterberg, and in particular Camp New Amsterdam, has been sort of home since 32TFS has been based there for decades, flying F-86s, F-100s, F-102s, F-4s and F-15s.

Cheers,
Maarten

Ferry_vO
November 12th, 2008, 10:02
Very, very, very sad news!

The only thing good coming out of this is that the museum will get a newer and bigger location.

Cees Donker
November 12th, 2008, 11:28
Very, very, very sad news!

The only thing good coming out of this is that the museum will get a newer and bigger location.

Where is it going to then?

:isadizzy:

Cees

Ferry_vO
November 12th, 2008, 11:30
The MLM will move to what will be left of the airbase and join with the Delft army museum there, Cees.

:)

Cees Donker
November 12th, 2008, 11:32
That's great! For the museumthat is, not for the base. It seems all the bases with historic significance are getting closed. Tempelhof is another example.

Cees

S
November 12th, 2008, 11:39
Still sucks, I don't see them tear down the Palace at the Dam just because nobody lives there anymore. Same with so many of the small fields, I'd have loved to see it remain and see another base close...oh well.

huub vink
November 12th, 2008, 14:18
I worked there in 1978 and from 1981 - 1983. With 32TFS it was a very lively base in those periods, first with Phantoms and later with Eagles.

As the Dutch Air Force was born there I never thought they would close it....

Suddely I realise that all airfield on which I have served are already closed. Soesterberg, Ypenburg and Valkenburg and they are all history!

Cheers,
Huub

Barvan40
November 12th, 2008, 14:21
Sad news, I have many wonderful memories of that base. Remember skipping class from de Schothorst Highschool in Amersfoort to watch the aircraft coming and going during NATO exercises.

Barry

Francois
November 12th, 2008, 23:17
My father took us there to watch the planes take off over the road when I was a little boy..... 'progress' I suppose :redf: