PDA

View Full Version : Solomons 1943: need boat repainting help

dswo
May 10th, 2010, 05:18
A few months ago, Mark Schimmer posted plans for Solomon Islands scenery, c. 1943: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?32269-WIP-FSX-Solomon-1943-long. This has turned in to quite a big project: not just airfields but coastlines and special effects.
I asked about boat traffic, and Mark came back with an outline: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=32426. I've been filling out the outline, using FSX-native models, and getting permission from the authors to use their work. You can read about my progress, and download the beta, here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=32831. The current beta link is toward the end of the thread.

How you can help and what's still needed:

A. FSX-native aircraft models for World War II-era AI traffic. Or, failing that, repaints of freeware. Jan Kees has already volunteered to work on this.

B. Boat models for naval traffic. Mark's research turned up a bunch of naval shipping in the area: carrier groups, supply boats, destroyers, PT boats, ferries, and submarines. Some of this is already running: see the third thread linked to above. What we still need:

1. IJN supply boat. Mark points out that "there is a tanker in the default ship database, VEH_water_tanker03,...that almost looks like a typical IJN supply ship. I used that for static scenery already and it looks superb! I could imagine it could be used for Japanes supply runs in the evening / night down the slot, together with the destroyer. I also would not hesitate to copy and repaint this thing for our cause, since it is default FSX anyhow." See http://lc0277.nerim.net/sceneobjects...E19D4B8%7D.jpg. (http://lc0277.nerim.net/sceneobjects/vehicles_water/%7B4B5B7112-3CBC-40F9-996A-0BCB1E19D4B8%7D.jpg)I already have the route working, all we need now is someone to paint the default boat to look like an IJN supply ship.

The one disadvantage of using these modern default models: they don't spew smoke. If there's someone who knows how to rig a smoke effect, that would be welcome too.

2. Finally, if anyone feels like modeling, we still need the following for the USN side:

a. PT boats
b. submarines
c. ferries
d. cruisers (for the carrier groups)

jdhaenens
May 14th, 2010, 18:40
Just finished a model of a PT-65 Class PT boat (but I did put the semi-planing hull on the bottom). Does anyone want to make this into an AI?

Jim

expat
May 15th, 2010, 00:06
Abosultely! Looks great Jim.

roger-wilco-66
May 16th, 2010, 22:12
Thanks Jim, that's great!

I'm already busy populating PT-Boat bases! :-)

Cheers,
Mark

Delta_Whiskey
May 28th, 2010, 09:58
here is a hvy cruiser i've been working on , still no textures
very similar to the Pensacola class heavy cruisers see; Uss Salt Lake City CA-25

i also have a liberty ship ..

shoot me a pm if intrested

regards,

expat
May 28th, 2010, 13:21
Awesome! Hugely needed cruiser in FSX. Liberty ship also needed desperately for the forthcoming Solomons scenery. Hope you have been watching "The Pacific". Thanks very much for your effort.

expat

roger-wilco-66
May 30th, 2010, 05:06
Guys,

I think we can drop that original request and not bother with repainting the original tanker03 (thanks for your intervention, David!).

I disassembled the default cfs2 ships and reprogrammed the code so that they can be compiled as native (!!!) FSX objects. Right now they are just static, but since there are compiled mdl files of the ships that went into the FSX-bgl library I think they can be ported as real FSX ai ships. I'd opt to go all the way and do that, but I need someone who can give me a hint if I need some advice. Here's a list of what is ported over from CFS2 now and works:

Amtrack-vehicle . Enterprise CV-6 . Essex-CV9 . USS-Indiana .
USS-Indianapolis . LCI . LCV . USS-Mahan . US_Merchant . US_PT-Boat .
US-Submarine . US-Tanker . Cargo-ship . Destroyer . Rescueboat . Gunboat . IJN-Barge . IJN-Hiryu . IJN-Junyo . IJN-Kagero . IJN-Kumano . IJN-Merchant . IJN-Submarine . IJN-Tanker . IJN-Torpedo-boat . IJN-Troop-ship . IJN-rescue-trawler . IJN-landing-craft . IJN-Merchant . River-barge . Submarine . Trawler . Tug

@ DeltaWhiskey: every contribution is most welcomed! Above ships are relativly low poly and have low resolution textures, although some are quiet good. Anything that is developed today should look way better, though.

Since I can port almost any CFS2 ship to FSX there is a large number of third-party ships available, but that needs the approval of the author of course (I contacted some already).

All in all, as far as I can oversee it, we have almost all ships available that fit into the scenario. Ahh, by the way, the same goes for ground vehicles, weapons, buildings and bunkers, coastal defence objects, as well as destroyed stuff, but that's another story (and reprogramming orgy...).

Cheers,
Mark

fliger747
May 30th, 2010, 09:49
A pretty ecclectic collection of ships!!

I have been flight testing the Shupe F7F here in one of the beta's of the Solomons. It is a pretty fun area and would be great for multiplayer if everyone had the same thing!

Good work guys! T

expat
May 30th, 2010, 10:36
Mark,

This is a suprise and welcome development. Very keen to see if you can go the next step and get the ships to work as AI. If they do, then can you give the many CFS2 aircraft the same treatment? If so that means we have many more period a/c to choose from.

What about coverting USIO's ships?

expat

browngib
May 30th, 2010, 10:47
If you go to the US Coasrt Guard Historians Web Site they have historical photos and data on the famous Higgins Boats of WWII ... the landing craft that landed the marines and soldiers on the various islands of the war.

http://www.uscg.mil/history/cutterindex.asp then enter a search for Higgins Boats

Hooligan56

CDR Gib Brown, USCG (Ret) 9163
CG Aviator #795 Helo Pilot #395
Member, CG Aviation Hall of Honor

roger-wilco-66
May 30th, 2010, 10:51
Mark,

This is a suprise and welcome development. Very keen to see if you can go the next step and get the ships to work as AI. If they do, then can you give the many CFS2 aircraft the same treatment? If so that means we have many more period a/c to choose from.

What about coverting USIO's ships?

expat

Hehe, you mean those, see picture ? Still need Usios approval to release them, though.

About the planes: I had some first simple successes, but the code in the model files is quite complicated (at least to me). Don't know if it is possible yet, but I will give it a concentrated try.

Cheers,
Mark

Delta_Whiskey
June 1st, 2010, 10:31
almost done - USS Salt Lake City - CA-25 - Pensacola Class Cruiser

a few tweaks and i'll post the pilotable / AI / library object either tonite or tomorrow

9339 9340

roger-wilco-66
June 1st, 2010, 13:25
Looks great, DW !

:ernae:

Butcherbird17
June 1st, 2010, 13:45
This is getting better and better. I hope Usio gives approval on using his models as they are some of the most detailed ships in cfs2. Looking forward to flying up the slot in my trusty Hog when this is released, keep up the great work. :salute:

Joe

expat
June 1st, 2010, 23:59
D_W - that cruiser for FSX fills a huge gap - and looks the business in the shot of the AI fleet along with the cv and battle wagon. Can't wait to add this one to my AI Ships WWII fleet.

Thanks very much for this.

expat

Delta_Whiskey
June 2nd, 2010, 01:53
uploaded to SimV - awaiting arival

CA_25 USS Salt Lake City - Pensacola Class Cruiser
USS Salt Lake City, a 9100-ton Pensacola class heavy cruiser built at Camden, New Jersey.
On 7 December 1941, Salt Lake City was operating with the USS Enterprise task group.
Salt Lake City was in the south Pacific to support the campaign to seize and hold Guadalcanal.
Other actions included the seizure of the Gilbert Islands ,the invasion of the Marshalls and the Iwo Jima and Okinawa campaigns.

FEATURES:
- 3 versions - pilotable / AI / Scenery Library Object
- Crisp,FPS friendly textures
- Very Stable with no "popping" at all speeds
- animated deck guns (ailerons - pilotable only)
- animated aircraft crane recovery ( Shft+E // pilotable only )
- animated aircraft cat launch ( Shift+E ... release .. then press 2 // pilotable only )
- imbedded smoke and wake effects

for FSX ONLY by Bruce Fitzgerald

dswo
June 2nd, 2010, 07:10
Thank you, Bruce.

expat
June 2nd, 2010, 07:55
Indeed! Many thanks.

roger-wilco-66
June 2nd, 2010, 10:45
Excellent, Bruce! This is a very valuable addition.

@browngib / Higgins boat:

we have one in the library, see pictures. It's a low poly / texture model.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7444/lcv1.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3448/lcv2.jpg

There are a few ships that I cannot convert because the compiler crashes while disassembling.
One type is a LST 350 and 351. That's a pity, because these ships were used quite often.
If anyone would like to put his hands on that, it would be great!

Cheers,
Mark

expat
June 2nd, 2010, 14:41
Yee Haaa !!!!

expat
June 2nd, 2010, 14:48
Couldn't resist one more!!

dswo
June 5th, 2010, 10:42
Version 1.3 of Solomons Naval Traffic, incorporating Bruce's cruiser and a PT boat by Jim Dhaenens, is now available for testing. See http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=32831&p=426530&viewfull=1#post426530 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=32831&p=426530) for details.

Ken Stallings
June 5th, 2010, 14:38
This project is looking more and more like what we had hoped CFS3 would look like, and what CFS4 could have been (should have been) had it been! :engel016:

Ken

Delta_Whiskey
June 9th, 2010, 04:18
Did someone say higgins boat ?
coming soon

no textures except the flag just gmax material colors
... need to find a simple jeep and some army dudes to make assault variations

Did I already say i want the scenery that goes with these boats

... I also have to dust off my mission building skills

roger-wilco-66
June 9th, 2010, 06:03
Did someone say higgins boat ?
coming soon

no textures except the flag just gmax material colors
... need to find a simple jeep and some army dudes to make assault variations

Did I already say i want the scenery that goes with these boats

... I also have to dust off my mission building skills

Ahh, good news :-)

DW, it would be great if there would be a version with the front ramp down and one with it up!
I can send you vehicles, weapons and maybe even "army dudes" as mdl files. Please PM me your mail-adress. When you have it done, could I incorporate it into the "c-fsx-ships" bgl file (hehe, note "c-fsx" you know what that stands for :-) ) as a static model, to place it on beaches and mooring on small wharfs?

Cheers,
Mark

PS: Errr... taptap... LST

Delta_Whiskey
June 10th, 2010, 01:49
roger - ramps up and down ,, my e-mail is in any of my readme files , fitzgeba@hotmail.com
if you have source files that can be used in gmax for troops and equipment i'd love to have them.
otherwise i have a few i can use in my collection

@ roger wilco 66:
... on a side note, i had a chance to load the beta scenery and the only thing i saw was the fact that ,
my ship scenery objects have imbedded wake effects - which tend to bloom for static scenery - ( see the cruiser at Munda)
i should remove them from scenery objects to eliminate the wake bloom.
if i did that would that be a big rework to replace the current objects ?

i would leave in the imbedded wakes for AI boats

regards,
Bruce