PDA

View Full Version : FLIGHT SIM 04 EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spitguy22
May 9th, 2010, 14:32
HELP i have over 50 third-party freeware and payware downloads that i have extensively modified to my liking. But now the my-computer/program-files/Microsoft-games/fs9/aircraft folder is EMPTY!!!! WHAT THE HELL?!! all the aircraft are still there and are flyable, but I can no longer access any of their folders. I NEED AN ANSWER OR ELSE I WILL HAVE TO REDO ALL MY HOURS OF EDITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aeromed202
May 9th, 2010, 17:44
Can you give anymore info like a snapshot of the directory tree? Did you try searching to see if that folders contents went elsewhere and are being loaded from another location? I don't think it is a hidden folder issue. Try searching for the default cessna folder, c172.

Or are the aircraft folders there but you can't open them? Right click on one for properties and compare the settings with other files that you can open.

Others can advise but I think a system restore would put them back where they were wouldn't it?

OBIO
May 9th, 2010, 19:09
Seeing as how the planes are still flyable, that means the files are there some where. We just need to find out where. Right click on your FS9 program icon...the little picture thingie you click on to start the sim. This will bring up a list of options. Go down to Properties. When the Properties box is displayed, click on the Short Cut tab. Find the TARGET window...this will give you the full directory path to where you sim is installed.

Default under XP is like this: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

Mine is like this since I have my sim installs on a secondary (D:) drive: D:\GA and D:\Mod since I have two installs...one for GA aircraft (mostly pre-50s) and one for Modern (mostly military) planes.

Knowing the exact file tree to where your install is parked at will help you find the files for your planes.

OBIO

ibl19108
May 10th, 2010, 12:51
You also have a complete backup in C:\ Documents & Settings\your name\application data\Microsoft\FS9\Aircraft. Everytime you add an aircraft or change the cfg. files its does the changes.

Derek :wavey:

P.S. Its sounds like you saved the aircraft folder into another place within the root directory. As you say you can still access the aircraft and fly them, then the folder must possibly be inside another folder.

spitguy22
May 10th, 2010, 15:15
thanks so much to all of you, especially OBIO, as my entire fs04 directory moved to a differnt folder and a new "fs9" opened in the root directory. I discovered this by looking at the "Target" line! I have zero idea how this could have happened (i haven't even been on fs9 in months. Modern Warfare 2, as my "Soap" avatar suggests lol) but now its all good!

OBIO
May 10th, 2010, 19:06
I'm not useful often, but when I am useful, it's usually just a lucky guess LOL!

Glad you found your files...nothing quite as nerve wracking as having to retweak planes that you had previously tweaked to your personal likings and flying style.

OBIO

OBIO
May 10th, 2010, 19:08
thanks so much to all of you, especially OBIO, as my entire fs04 directory moved to a differnt folder and a new "fs9" opened in the root directory. I discovered this by looking at the "Target" line! I have zero idea how this could have happened (i haven't even been on fs9 in months. Modern Warfare 2, as my "Soap" avatar suggests lol) but now its all good!

Oh...the only explaination I can give is ALIENS! Those little gray ones really like to mess with people's computers. Annoying as all heck...but still far better than what the big green ones like to do. Need I mention...PROBES?!?!?!?

OBIO