PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic 3D model ...

stiz
May 7th, 2010, 05:28
... which will knock your socks off!!

http://www.military-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4058

Lionheart
May 7th, 2010, 06:22
Goodness man... That is some serious model work....

:ernae::applause::ernae:

Thanks for the heads up Stiz.

brad kaste
May 7th, 2010, 08:18
stiz,....help me out here: Is that an actual model of a Lanc or is it a painting of some sort? It's difficult to get a proper perspective of the aircraft since it posed to look like it actually flying. Nothing to compare it to. Is there a link that would give more photos of it such as being parked on a tarmac and such?
Either way,....painting or model,...it's a sure knockout. Some years ago a chap from England had built a large scale Lanc which did/had everything. Sounds, lights,...functioning landing gear,....functioning flaps and elevator. He 'flew it' using a joystick.

stiz
May 7th, 2010, 12:35
hey Brad, its a 3d model, made just like the FS planes (expect with more detail etc) then its put into an enviroment with lights etc, rendered as a image. then taken into photoshop and put on a background and played around with etc. Of course his method might have been different but thats how its usaly done :)

You can see his Work in progress thread here for those that are intrested :) http://www.military-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3440

X_eidos2
May 7th, 2010, 13:08
I don't know which is more amazing - the images of the Lancaster or a website full of people who are interested in making models that are good enough for movies.

Thanks for posting the heads-up.

lifejogger
May 7th, 2010, 13:14
That is amazing, a definite work of art.

Pips
May 8th, 2010, 16:59
Those images are absolutely breathtaking. Such detail. Beautiful!

But I'm a bit confused. All the work 'Peter' went to...... is it simply for art sake? Or did he create a actual model to fly and use in FS9 or FSX?

mike_cyul
May 8th, 2010, 17:36
Oh, to have the time, data, unlimited polys, and the skills! Nice to have something to dream about, and to see what others can do. Love to see what his VC's would look like. :)

His blog is interesting, too. http://petersdesign.blox.pl/html

Mike

Ken Stallings
May 8th, 2010, 19:01
Wow! Holy cow, wow!

And he actually said he wasn't happy with his work yet! My God! What would it take for him to be happy!!!

That's jaw dropping stuff. Seeing the model from such a close perspective gave me a greater appreciation for the nuances of the actual aircraft, like I was standing next to it.

That's sheer art work, masterful stuff!

Ken

stiz
May 8th, 2010, 23:57
But I'm a bit confused. All the work 'Peter' went to...... is it simply for art sake? Or did he create a actual model to fly and use in FS9 or FSX?

Did it for a magazine cover and article, and i'm pretty safe in saying the FSX would explode if you tried to put the model in it! .. now theres an idea! :icon_lol:

tigisfat
May 9th, 2010, 00:32
This is beautiful and incredible art, but it's hard to judge the 3D model when it's wrapped in exquisite textures and posed with a photoreal background. It could be a garbage model missing all kinds of things, but then again I'm happy just looking at the pics.

Javis
May 9th, 2010, 01:44

hewman100
May 9th, 2010, 01:56
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: I don't think words would do them justice!

Javis
May 9th, 2010, 02:40
Sorry for empty post above, just couldn't think of anything to say...

Pulled myself together, more or less..

Thanks for the link, Stiz ! Totally and utterly inspiring and totally and utterly depressing at the same time..

Being a digital aircraft modeler myself i feel like a garden gnome at the moment.. :mix-smi:

@Tig : if you follow Stiz's second link you can see the still untextured 3D model. Nothing 'garbage' about it, in fact it might well be the best aircraft model ever rendered in 3dsMax. But Peter is a true master of texturing as well ! 'Emperor Of Riveting' as someone calls him, and he's right.

Getting to virtually fly an extraordinairy super model like this will probabely always remain on our wishlist. It would be very interesting though if maybe one day Peter discovers *our* precious little flying toy and decides it would be nice to put some life into his models... ( or maybe he already has and was put off by the fact that he can only use, say, 20% of poly count/resolution that he is using for his model renders.. )

I knew atleast one guy who came from the same background as Peter, professional graphics design, and who walked over to 'our side' : John Howard White of FSDezigns L-049 Connie fame and who very sadly died about 2 years ago. After a career as jetfighter pilot he worked as a graphics designer at Disney Studios.

Being a true Lockheed Constellation nutt he designed a few digital Connie models in high resolution, possibly much like Peter's Lancaster model. ( John worked with 3dsMax ever since it had become available ) He then 'discovered' MS Flightsimulator ( FS9 ) and followed his dream to make one of his Connie models 'fly' . The rest is history...

John told me that he practically needed to design his Connie model all over again in order to loose the extremely high polycount of his original model but we all know what magnificent job he did on that. Very sad we never got to see the VC that he was beginning to put together, it would've been a masterpiece as well no doubt.

Thanks again for both links, Stiz, tremendously enjoyed that !! Now where are my socks... :ernae:

Cheers,
Jan