PDA

View Full Version : GTX 480 + i7 920@4.2Ghz + 2560x1600 Monitor + 32xAA + Zero fsx.cfg tweaks = goodness!

koorby
May 6th, 2010, 22:40
UvTvnjvperQ

This video shows how powerful the new nVidia GTX480 GPU is when combined with an overclocked Intel i7 920. The fsx.CFG file is deleted so that FSX creates a completely untweaked virgin config file, and then nearly all the sliders are maxxed out.

I then take a flight over our upcoming 3W5 Concrete Muni Airport for Orbx Pacific Northwest. You will be impressed with how smooth the flight is with anti-aliasing set to 32xAA-8xTrans and 16xAF and with max scenery and autogen complexity on a huge 30" monitor running at 2560x1600 resolution. With some further simple adjustments and lowering AA to 8xS a locked 60FPS can easily achieved. Note there are zero artifacts, black squares, spikes or other issues normally associated with running FSX at such demanding levels.

Conclusion: The GTX 480 is a monster card which (combined with an overclocked i7 CPU) finally allows FSX to run maxxed without resorting to any tweaks.

My PC specs: i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz (Air Cooled) | EX58-EXTREME Mobo | 12GB DDR3@1600 | Galaxy 480GTX 1536MB | 2x 150GB WD Velociraptors in RAID-0 + 2x 1TB Samsung 7200's in RAID-1 on Adaptec_1430SA | Samsung 305T 30" LCD @ 2560x1600 | Thermaltake Spedo Case | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | Windows7 64-bit | nVidia Driver 197.41

skyhawka4m
May 7th, 2010, 00:12
looking forwad to Concrete. I'm still trying to find my level playing field in FPS with Darrington......my clouds are killing my FPS. Not sure what I can do to fix that situation.

roger-wilco-66
May 7th, 2010, 01:19
That's very impressive, but that's also pretty much a high end system and a lot of $$$ to invest...
But it's good to know that we finally reached this point.

BTW, I love that scenery! Well done!

Cheers,
Mark

dominique
May 7th, 2010, 02:25
Overall it looks quite good and smooth but there are still stutters, I'm afraid.

Why some parts of the landscape are so dark at time ?

Tim-HH
May 7th, 2010, 02:52
Hi John,

that's very impressive and a wonderful scenery! :applause:

Would be very interesting to know how much fps you get with this PC and the same settings on final approach to Brisbane or Melbourne with a complex airplane like the PMDG Jetstream? :)

Greetings
Tim

txnetcop
May 7th, 2010, 03:02
Yep that new GTX 480 is an FSX eater with the i7 and it cost and arm and leg! Now accepting donations...
Ted

For anyone that has access to MicroCenter stores you can still build this killer system for under $2000.

MicroCenter offers the i7 930 which is a great overclocker without the memory management issues the i7920 had for $199.00:
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966995+4294964566&feature=603712&utm_source=mcol&utm_medium=mini_bnr&utm_campaign=hmpg_intel_i7_930_new

Gigabyte X58 UD3R $199.00
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0327331

See other great deals on memory and coolers. Also check out Tiger Direct cooling and memory specials.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

dominique
May 7th, 2010, 05:01
it cost and arm and leg! Now accepting donations...
Ted

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Here we go, here's my donation. Surgeon service to replace the real limbs is not included.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/domkle/donation.jpg

(sorry, couldn't help :d )

dswo
May 7th, 2010, 05:55
If anyone's curious, the GTX 480 is US$500 plus shipping at NewEgg.

Bone
May 7th, 2010, 05:55
Great! I built my current rig 2 years and 2 months ago, and I'm itching to upgrade. Someone said a new i-chip is coming out towards the end of the summer, so I may wait a bit...but I'm salivating just the same.

mal998
May 7th, 2010, 09:23
Just read some reviews and comps re the 480...not enough of a boost to make it worth upgrading from my GTX 295 OC.

Alan_A
May 7th, 2010, 09:52
Just read some reviews and comps re the 480...not enough of a boost to make it worth upgrading from my GTX 295 OC.

Were the reviews and comps specific to FSX? I ask because I just replaced my EVGA GTX 280 SSC with their GTX 480 SC and the improvement is staggering. With an overclock slightly less aggressive than John V./Koorby's (I keep my i965 at 3.875 to cope with Washington, DC summer heat), I'm running beautifully with all sliders maxxed except water (2x low) and cloud draw distance (60 miles), and with 50 percent traffic, 30 percent boats, 8 percent cars, REX 2.0 textures (at 1024) and ASE. I consistently get smooth 20-30 fps, often steady at 30, with clear, sharp textures and no stuttering. Mostly running the A2A Cub, which is hard on frames.

I agree with Koorby re: tweaks, by the way - I've tried all the new Avsim ones, failed with them, and pulled them out. They're not needed on my system at least, and some of them wreck my graphics.

Keep an eye on the GTX 480 - it's really that good.

Cazzie
May 7th, 2010, 09:53
Overall it looks quite good and smooth but there are still stutters, I'm afraid.

Why some parts of the landscape are so dark at time ?

John's using a video camera in lieu of a screen capture dominique. It must be totally impressive when done with FRAPS and a good video editor.

Great looking work John, makes me drool for the next level.

Caz

mal998
May 7th, 2010, 10:38
I'm set at 40fps, all sliders maxed except autogen (set@very dense, and water set @High2.x). Frames usually run between mid 20s and 40 depending on plane and addon scenery. ORBX always takes a hit on frames.

I think I might try OC'ing this weekend in order to check stability and temps. My stock I7 runs at 3.4. I'll OC it to 4.0 to see if there is any fps advantage.

BOOM
May 7th, 2010, 11:13
I can't wait to make,Low-and-slow runs through that valley between Concreate and Darrington! As far as The GTX480 I can't justify that$$ right now,I actually get pretty good FPS @ Darrington right now with Autogen on dense,30+ range,I'm hoping Concreate will be on that level,It looks fantastic!!

Vista64,Q9650@3.0GHTZ 8Gigs ddr2 Ram GTX260.

Shylock
May 7th, 2010, 11:28
:173go1: wow thats insane

koorby
May 7th, 2010, 15:23
Hi John,

that's very impressive and a wonderful scenery! :applause:

Would be very interesting to know how much fps you get with this PC and the same settings on final approach to Brisbane or Melbourne with a complex airplane like the PMDG Jetstream? :)

Greetings
Tim

Hi Tim, I get about 17-20 FPS at YMML/YBBN in the JS41. That aircraft costs me 10-12 FPS so basically it never leaves my hangar really. Strangely enough at those airports I have to set frames to unlimited, not locked. If I pull back sliders like autogen and a lot of the land side eye candy I can get in mid 20's there.

Tim-HH
May 8th, 2010, 07:23
Hi John,

thanks for the info! That's also very impressive...I had expected single digit fps ;)

I guess it's time to learn how to overclock a CPU :kilroy:

Greetings
Tim

harleyman
May 9th, 2010, 01:55
I don't like all that stuttering myself...have you not added a TBA adjustment to correct that ???

The frames are good, My E 5200 OCed to 3.4 will run those rames, but not all sliders full like yours, and not over heavy areas with full weather on...

but I'm impressed with that card for sure.

Like Ted...Donations are accepted....LOL

koorby
May 9th, 2010, 02:48
I don't like all that stuttering myself...have you not added a TBA adjustment to correct that ???

You saw me delete the fsx.cfg - so, no I didn't make adjustments; which I guess was the point of the video, hehe!

Not sure of what stutters you're referring to after I locked to 40fps, coz I did not see any.

harleyman
May 9th, 2010, 03:25
You saw me delete the fsx.cfg - so, no I didn't make adjustments; which I guess was the point of the video, hehe!

Not sure of what stutters you're referring to after I locked to 40fps, coz I did not see any.

You didn't notice the low level stuttering???

hmmm Now I gotta go watch it again

Low level stuttering is common in FSX, and not always addressed with the TBA tweak...

txnetcop
May 9th, 2010, 03:37
If the i7Core is setup up correctly there is no stuttering whatsoever even with a mid-range video card. You just have to find where to lock it at to get the best consistent frame-rates.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Major_Spittle
May 9th, 2010, 10:05
double post

Major_Spittle
May 9th, 2010, 10:07
You didn't notice the low level stuttering???

hmmm Now I gotta go watch it again

Low level stuttering is common in FSX, and not always addressed with the TBA tweak...

I saw it stuttering (jerky) also. Doesn't matter what the FPS says, you can still get stuttering and pausing in FSX with it displaying a locked FPS. I have an i7 @ 3.8 with an ati 5830 @ 850mhz, can you make a video using an ATI card similar to mine (one more affordable). I am curious how it would do with the PNW scenery.

btw, I'm not saying it to be negative, I think it ran great for a default .cfg but wonder if the micro stutters would have went away if it was set to ~ 18-22 fps?