PDA

View Full Version : What was that again? Grrrrrrrr

falcon409
November 11th, 2008, 16:48
I've run out of anything to do right now and after just logging into flightsim.com "again" I decided to re-ask a question to see if anyone can tell me the illogical reason behind it.

There are probably a dozen sites I go to on a regular basis, and in all cases except one, once I log in. . .even if I leave the site and come back hours later or days later (like here at SOH), the site remembers me. . . .I like that. Flightsim.com however is different. . .if I leave, for even a second and come back I have to log in again. . .then get a message that I'm already logged into a "node". . .node kidding batman. . .so I have to "click here" to boot myself off that node so I can get on another node.

Is there a method to their madness with this or is there some illogical logic at work here?:isadizzy:

Tweek
November 11th, 2008, 16:52
I do hate how it doesn't automatically log you out when you close the window. If I really do have to log onto a 'node', I'd rather not be hogging one of them if I'm not on the site, and it's hardly easy to remember to click logout every time, seeing as I never do that on any other site. I hate to think how many of the nodes are being used up by people who are no longer on the site! Frustrating on a busy day, to say the least.

That said, I haven't been on Flightsim.com for quite a while now, partly down to this node system, and partly because of the slow download speeds.

Lionheart
November 11th, 2008, 16:54
lolol....

Thats what I like about AVSIM. No waiting, fast downloads, remembers me, everything.

The only thing I use Flightsim for is to get the file name, then I am off to AVSIM or SimViation to find the file. AVSIM cant do searches, but Flightsim can. Thus I use that for that, and AVSIM and the others for downloading...

:d

Bill

falcon409
November 11th, 2008, 17:00
lolol....

Thats what I like about AVSIM. No waiting, fast downloads, remembers me, everything.

The only thing I use Flightsim for is to get the file name, then I am off to AVSIM or SimViation to find the file. AVSIM cant do searches, but Flightsim can. Thus I use that for that, and AVSIM and the others for downloading...

Bill
There is humor in just about anything isn't there Bill? lol, lol.:costumes:

GT182
November 11th, 2008, 17:02
But there are files we can only get at Flightsim that we need. I can't even log in there anymore because of my emaill address so I'm scrod. And not pharting around and getting another email that fills up with spam and junk. At least with hotmail I can control that.

AckAck
November 11th, 2008, 20:25
The only thing I use Flightsim for is to get the file name, then I am off to AVSIM or SimViation to find the file

Really? Flightsim required 8.3 filenames, so oftentimes the names are different on Flightsim than they are on Avsim or Simviation...

Brian

Lionheart
November 11th, 2008, 21:27
Hey Brian,

9 times out of 10, if I do a search at Flightsim, I find the model right off the bat. I take (copy) the file name, go to AVSIM or Simviation and paste the file name in their search engine, and that provides the download location, and bang.. downloaded and installed.

Maybe it only works for me. Dont know. But it works everytime, smoothly, and flawlessly. The other sites would do well to study how Flightsim does it.

Bill

tigisfat
November 11th, 2008, 22:40
if you do a search on flightism.com and it brings up the filename, why not just download it right then and there?

You gotta remember that flightsim.com and the flightsim.com forums are different. They are separate because they want more control of the integrity of their file library.

Sedr37
November 12th, 2008, 01:03
As far as I remember FlightSim do everything to to make people buy a sort of advanced membership that's why there is such a complicated login process.

IanP
November 12th, 2008, 02:13
I find flightsim.com a PITA the download from as well - as most people have noted, I only use it when there is no other viable alternative. Most of the time, I scan it, note that it has files that Avsim made available a day or two earlier, then go and check Avsim. I don't bother with simviation at all any more. That's a site I really do dislike using.

Ian P.

stiz
November 12th, 2008, 02:17
whats complicated about it?? sign in, get what you want, then leave? couldnt be much easier really. I've also never been told i have to "buy a sort of advanced membership" Also considering its FREE the speeds aint all that bad, so what if you cant get 1 trillion meg a second ... what ever happend to patience? :kilroy:

If your gonna bash flightsim about speeds and what not how about Simviation? now THAT is an annoying site, everywhere you look theres "upgrade to preium account now!" AND pop ups on just about every page AND you get slower speeds than flightsim to boot :kilroy:

lifejogger
November 12th, 2008, 03:56
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cbarnejh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->I have no problem logging into Flightsim.com, I just hit the login button and when the login screen comes up my user ID and password are already there and I just hit enter. I also don't notice any differences in download speeds between Flightsim and AVSIM. Just my opinion though

falcon409
November 12th, 2008, 04:31
whats complicated about it?? sign in, get what you want, then leave? couldnt be much easier really. . . . . .If your gonna bash flightsim about speeds and what not. . . . .
Stiz. . . . .take a deep breath. . .calm down. . . .we're hardly bashing flightsim. . .go back and read the first post, the one I made to start the thread. . .that's what I found irritating. No, it's not complicated the first time through. Just relax and have a good day, lol.

IanP
November 12th, 2008, 05:09
Actually, my two biggest complaints about flightsim - neither of which are jobstoppers, just irritations are, as Falcon notes, that they don't use login cookies and secondly that resuming a download if you have a problem with one is possible, but awkward.

That one library uses extras step that isn't necessary at other sites, so hence why jump through hoops if you don't need to? :)

Ian P.

jimjones
November 12th, 2008, 06:00
Both avsim and flightsim have their advantages.

Avsim shows lines of info about a dl, so you must click it to see if there are pics and more info for you to see and read to decide. One nitpic is that occasionally a plane will appear as "original a/c" but is only a new paint. It should have appeared in the repaint section. As for speed it depends on the load. I've seen it slower than avsim, but rarely.

Flightsim shows a pic and a description without having to click on each individual dl to see. Might be slower to review for some, but I like the review process better. Yes is it generally slower.

There may be dls that appear on one but not the other site.

These are generally the only two download places I visit, but the diversity of places SOH members visit and report on expands my visitation places if a report is interesting. Latest case in point is the F86 Sabre site.

srgalahad
November 12th, 2008, 09:10
As I understand it ( and will gladly be corrected) the Flightsim method is to prevent one person ( or bot) from logging in multiple times and taking over the system by capturing all the nodes (ie. you can't be there twice). I guess I'm habitual- I always log out there (and here) just like I got trained to close the door and put the seat down :d

There may be dls that appear on one but not the other site.
An example of that is Veneaviones who only upload to Avsim.

It's not a perfect world -- nor is 'perfect' the same for everyone :kilroy:

Rob

n4gix
November 12th, 2008, 09:52
AVSIM cant do searches, but Flightsim can.

Say what? AVSIM most certainly does "do searches!" Evidently you've never click the "Advanced Search" tab to open up the full search engine's parameter boxes... :d

dominique
November 12th, 2008, 11:05
In the recent weeks, I've found the Avsim library extremely slow most of the time (<10k/sec) and inaccessible during the weekend. Flightsim.com is a little faster, not much, and "only" very difficult to access on Saturday and Sunday.

harleyman
November 12th, 2008, 11:49
I buy payware disks only if I can...

Then I only wait once for the Big Brown Truck.....LOL :d

falcon409
November 12th, 2008, 12:53
I buy payware disks only if I can...
Then I only wait once for the Big Brown Truck.....LOL :d

lol, lol:costumes:

harleyman
November 12th, 2008, 13:17
But when forced to I will buy a payware or get a freeware download...But I hate all the confusion as many others do....:banghead:

Henry
November 12th, 2008, 13:29
I regularly use flightsim
i always thought it was because of bandwith
i always log out anyway
isnt that why its called all nodes busy :costumes:
i dont often have a problem
normally i check avsim first
but i do like the search engines at flightsim better
H