Z-AZ1USN
May 5th, 2010, 06:36
Would like to see this baby in FSX mode:
I wish that the Alphasim PBM (FS9) could be ported to FSX but
the gauges are a issue (as always)...

:jump:

Reddog
May 5th, 2010, 08:46
Then why not just put in workable gauges? very easy to do.

Z-AZ1USN
May 5th, 2010, 10:47
Then why not just put in workable gauges? very easy to do.

I don't know how to do that. I'm willing to learn. :salute:

scott967b
May 5th, 2010, 12:41
On this subject -- is there any issue with FS9 flying boat flight dynamics in FSX? I ask because I moved the AS PBM-3 to FSX, and it seemed to have a hard time taking off, but I didn't really attempt to analyze it at all.

scott s.

PutPut
May 5th, 2010, 12:47
On this subject -- is there any issue with FS9 flying boat flight dynamics in FSX? I ask because I moved the AS PBM-3 to FSX, and it seemed to have a hard time taking off, but I didn't really attempt to analyze it at all.

scott s.

Apparently so. I moved a couple of my FS9 flying boats into FSX and found they did not want to lift off the water. I solved the problem in both cases by substituting a FSX .air file for the FS9 .air file and everything worked. Didn't have to change anything in the .cfg file.

Cheers, Paul

Prowler1111
May 5th, 2010, 12:48
Is it freeware already, if so, where can i find it?
Thanks

Prowler

Z-AZ1USN
May 5th, 2010, 12:56
Apparently so. I moved a couple of my FS9 flying boats into FSX and found they did not want to lift off the water. I solved the problem in both cases by substituting a FSX .air file for the FS9 .air file and everything worked. Didn't have to change anything in the .cfg file.

Cheers, Paul

I ported the AS PBM and everything is cool except for the gauges.
they show but about three quarter screen size.

mal998
May 5th, 2010, 13:24
scott s.

This aircraft ports over to FSX quite well. From a quick flight, it appears all the gauges work just fine, as do the flight dynamics. Cool plane! Another little gem from AS. Try replacing the default view in the panel config with these numbers:

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8192
SIZE_Y=6143

As with many amphibs and flying boats, they take a while to get airborne. This type is no exception. She won't fly until you reach around 90 knts w/full flaps.

Skittles
May 5th, 2010, 14:01
As with many amphibs and flying boats, they take a while to get airborne. This type is no exception. She won't fly until you reach around 90 knts w/full flaps.

If there's one thing you never want on a take off it's full flaps!

mal998
May 5th, 2010, 16:00
If there's one thing you never want on a take off it's full flaps!

without getting into a long discussion on the finer points of seaplane take-offs, I have quite a few photos showing various types of seaplanes and amphibs taking off with flaps. OK, maybe not full flaps (I'll retract that statement), but they are using some setting of flaps. Here is just one example of a PBM lifting off using RATO.

expat
May 5th, 2010, 23:42
Good to see you here Mal. By the way I sent you an email last week re another aircraft. Let me know if didn't get it.

expat

mal998
May 6th, 2010, 03:15
Good to see you here Mal. By the way I sent you an email last week re another aircraft. Let me know if didn't get it.

expat

I did...I just haven't had time to check it out. I'll look into it.

Hurricane91
May 6th, 2010, 05:43
I don't know how to do that. I'm willing to learn. :salute:
As Reddog said, it's not too hard, just a bit time consuming. Briefly, by editing the panel.cfg you can replace and reposition gauges.
In the default DC-3 panel cfg., this is the altimeter in the VC ...

gauge12=Douglas_DC3!altimeter, 118, 382, 116, 118

If you want to install the DC-3 altimeter in Ito's Marlin, copy Douglas_DC3!altimeter and paste it where the Marlins VC altimeter is and retain the gauge number and coordinates. In the Marlin;

gauge03=Fouga_FINN_altimeter, 131, 26, 76, 74

would now be;

gauge03=Douglas_DC3!altimeter, 131, 26, 76, 74

Click File and save. If a gauge is in your FSX Gauges folder, you can use it this way. Just don't publish a remade panel unless you have permission to use an add-on aircraft's instruments.
If the gauge is off position or sized wrong, edit the coordinate numbers.
The first number 131 is the horizontal position in pixels (left-right) on the panel, 26 is vertical (top-bottom). Gauge width is 76, and height is 74. Adjust the numbers until the gauge looks right and is where you want it.
This is the manual method I learned by trial and error and there are a lot of different techniques. If you wish, I can send more.
A lot of people here at SOH probably know better ways of doing this. I am just getting into FS Panel studio which is probably faster.

fsafranek
May 6th, 2010, 09:44
Don't really feel like reading the entire thread to see if it was mentioned but the title caught my eye. Wanted to let you know that I uploaded the Alphasim Martin PBM Mariner for FS2004 (http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=ALPHA_PBM_Mariner_FS9.zip) to Avsim last night. 3 models, 5 textures. Includes panel and gauges.

Doing some Spring cleaning of slow titles.

:ernae:

mal998
May 6th, 2010, 09:50
Don't really feel like reading the entire thread to see if it was mentioned but the title caught my eye. Wanted to let you know that I uploaded the Alphasim Martin PBM Mariner for FS2004 (http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=ALPHA_PBM_Mariner_FS9.zip) to Avsim last night. 3 models, 5 textures. Includes panel and gauges.

Doing some Spring cleaning of slow titles.

Thanks Frank...somebody was looking for the freeware PBM, and it was no where to be found.

falcon409
May 6th, 2010, 17:31
As already mentioned here I think, the gauges are all XML gauges, there should be no problems with that at all.

falcon409
May 6th, 2010, 18:25
Hmm, too bad. . .non clickable VC. . .it looks good, but non-functional from an interactive standpoint. It's gone, lol.:salute: