PDA

View Full Version : New Shakira song for world cup poorly recieved

tigisfat
May 4th, 2010, 07:29
I guess the pop star Shakira is the most unpopular person in Africa now after her tribute to AFRICA during the world cup event.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/sow_experts/post/Shakira-s-World-Cup-song-isn-t-going-over-so-gre?urn=sow,238407

How stupid.

cheezyflier
May 4th, 2010, 09:01
i watched the 1st minute, i figured that was all i needed to see. anyhow, it seems to be a pop song. that's what she does. isn't that what they wanted? i wonder what did they expect?

Toastmaker
May 4th, 2010, 09:24
She's a jerk and marginally talented.

MaddogK
May 4th, 2010, 10:14
I dunno about the 'jerk' part, but I aggree with 'marginally talented'.

Funny that she's South American and trying to 'be' African, quote from on of the posters on tigisfat's link : "She makes me want to explore my African roots",

LOL, should let the locals choose their half time entertainers, but I don't care- I wont be watching it.

Bjoern
May 4th, 2010, 11:36
I find her one of the better artists who get radio air time. Especially when her songs have a bit more rock in them. Like "Don't Bother".

Trans_23
May 4th, 2010, 12:09
So what's the gripe all about? Seemed like a decent song to me.

OBIO
May 4th, 2010, 12:28
I don't think she is even marginally talented. I rank her beside Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, those Kardashian gals, Octo-Mom and the Balloon Boy parents....just another worthless blight on the human species. Just wish the media would stop following them around so they could finally fade out of site and be forgotten.

OBIO

cheezyflier
May 4th, 2010, 13:10
i wouldn't actually call her a worthless blight. i'm no fan of pop music, but i will give the girl her props. she is a major contributor to children's charities. she's involved with a ton of philanthropic organizations and is always in some way trying to use her fame to help out those in need. look up her bio. she's not as terrible as some of you may think, and despite being a pop star, she has not garnered the noteriety of the people obio is lumping her in with. she has no reputation for any sort of notoriety. no drugs, no dui convictions, no mental episodes, no promiscuity. she's never claimed to have slept with tiger woods :icon_lol:
i'm no fan of her music, but she's actually not that bad of a person compared to most celebrities.

Wittpilot
May 4th, 2010, 13:35
I think the lyrics of the song fit the event fairly well, but the tone of the song is just not right... I can't really explain how it should be.... I mean we are talking about the largest sporting event in the world... It has to really kick!!!

-witt

Bjoern
May 4th, 2010, 13:38
I don't think she is even marginally talented. I rank her beside Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, those Kardashian gals, Octo-Mom and the Balloon Boy parents....just another worthless blight on the human species. Just wish the media would stop following them around so they could finally fade out of site and be forgotten.

Right, and who should get the media attention instead?
People the other half of the population despises?

Bjoern
May 4th, 2010, 13:42
I think the lyrics of the song fit the event fairly well, but the tone of the song is just not right... I can't really explain how it should be.... I mean we are talking about the largest sporting event in the world... It has to really kick!!!

WC 2006 official song:
XmFaqw329us

WC 2006 inofficial song:
WKVl5mQrvKE

Conclusion: The official songs were *always* crap. ;) :d

tigisfat
May 4th, 2010, 16:29
i'm no fan of her music, but she's actually not that bad of a person compared to most celebrities.

Serious Tigisfat: Like who, Cheezy? Brett Michaels? Paris Hilton?

Sarcastic Tigisfat: It's okay guys, keep bashing Shakira. What kinda nerve does she have being non-controversial? Just don't say anything bad about that saint Brett Michaels around here. He's well liked. :icon_lol:

OBIO
May 4th, 2010, 17:15
I said nothing bad about her as a person...have never met her, have never paid any attention to any media coverage on her. I just don't think she has a lick talent. In that regard, and only in that regard, do I put her in the same boat with Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Octo-Mom....talentless/pointless hacks who garner far more attention and fame than they truly deserve. I have listened to maybe 10 minutes of ShakeMyReara's music.....and could not stand it. Her voice is grating, the songs themselves are just bubblegum pop. The only thing she has going for her are her gyrating hips....and even those aren't enough to make her a talent in my book.

Give me some real talent....James Taylor, Carol King, Carly Simon, Bert Bakarack (how ever you spell his name). Talent pure and simple.

OBIO

Ken Stallings
May 4th, 2010, 17:21
I've got a few recent issues with Shakira, but this song isn't among them! It's a really nice song. For it's intended purpose, it is good song. It's upbeat, catchy, and I think a lot of time was done working the lyrics.

And, she sings it well. That's normal for her, she's an excellent artist.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the song and think the neighsayers are simply proof that you cannot please everyone, especially with regard to music.

But I find the objections to this song to be contrived.

Ken

MCDesigns
May 4th, 2010, 17:30
I like her voice quite a bit and have one of her CDs, but after her negative public reaction to the new Arizona law, I have little to no respect for her which makes it hard to support her music now.

seems like it's not so much her fault with this fiasco as they just wanted local talent and that is not her. The song isn't that great either. You'd think with all the problems in Africa now, they could focus on something a little more important than this.

Bjoern
May 4th, 2010, 17:39
Give me some real talent....James Taylor, Carol King, Carly Simon, Bert Bakarack (how ever you spell his name). Talent pure and simple.

If you like 'em, it's talent, if you don't they're the worst artists in the world.

Just say that you don't like Shakira's music and done.

(Also, get rid of your TV if you don't like the programme.)

Dain Arns
May 4th, 2010, 17:40
... I have listened to maybe 10 minutes of ShakeMyReara's music.....and could not stand it. Her voice is grating, the songs themselves are just bubblegum pop. The only thing she has going for her are her gyrating hips....and even those aren't enough to make her a talent in my book.

OBIO

Heh, you "opened the door" to my memory of this little Shakira parody by MadTV...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGSnrMbcM-E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGSnrMbcM-E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Skittles
May 4th, 2010, 17:45
I have listened to maybe 10 minutes of ShakeMyReara's music....

OBIO

You should be a talent scout. 10 minutes and you've decided she's a completely talentless hack.

What is your experience in music, may I ask? What qualifications do you hold etc.

She speaks and sings fluently in three languages, she produces her own music and has done from the minute she started. She's the biggest selling Colombian artist of all time, and has been recognised in the industry with 2 grammy awards, 7 latin american awards, and she was nominated for a golden globe. In the music industry she's recognised as a prodigy and one of the most talented popular musicians of our generation.

Nevermind the widespread recognition from music experts across the globe.

I'm sure she's talentless.

tigisfat
May 4th, 2010, 18:30
You should be a talent scout. 10 minutes and you've decided she's a completely talentless hack.

What is your experience in music, may I ask? What qualifications do you hold etc.

She speaks and sings fluently in three languages, she produces her own music and has done from the minute she started. She's the biggest selling Colombian artist of all time, and has been recognized in the industry with 2 grammy awards, 7 latin american awards, and she was nominated for a golden globe. In the music industry she's recognised as a prodigy and one of the most talented popular musicians of our generation.

Nevermind the widespread recognition from music experts across the globe.

I'm sure she's talentless.

Do you have a Shakira tattoo as well Skittles? :icon_lol:

On a serious note, (and now my real opinion) I'm not a shakira fan. That doesn't stop me from recognizing her vocal talent. She maintains nearly perfect pitch, has a broad range and excellent pronunciation. Just because her voice grates on the nerves of some doesn't mean that she isn't incredibly talented and didn't work her tail off to sing as well as she does. You can't be born with that, it takes work.

American Idol is dumbing us all down. Here's an example:

Girl from nowhere that is pretty and has a pleasing voice but no knowledge of music and can't hold a tune. These days? "YOU'RE GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!! WOW, WHAT A TALENT!"

An ugly girl that has been classically trained in music. She sounds funny when she talks, but has a perfect and well-trained voice that is the envy of most professional singers when she sings. Her pitch is unwavering and her voice precise. Any time she's singing, it's fit for the mastering of a CD. Put her on American Idol, "I'm sorry, but you can't sing. You need to hear this from us so you don't keep kidding yourself."

fsafranek
May 4th, 2010, 19:02
She's easy on the eyes. I'll give her that.
:ernae:

deathfromafar
May 4th, 2010, 19:59
but has a perfect and well-trained voice that is the envy of most professional singers when she sings. Her pitch is unwavering and her voice precise. Any time she's singing, it's fit for the mastering of a CD

It's amazing what the Pitch Quantize Function of an Eventide Processor can do for any voice isn't it? :icon_lol: I've heard the effect quite a few times to know. My now old & obsolete H3000 still does it pretty darn good(thank you Steve Vai for showing me this system in 1992!).

tigisfat
May 4th, 2010, 20:03
It's amazing what the Pitch Quantize Function of an Eventide Processor can do for any voice isn't it? :icon_lol: I've heard the effect quite a few times to know. My now old & obsolete H3000 still does it pretty darn good(thank you Steve Vai for showing me this system in 1992!).

Hers really doesn't sound like it's had pitch exacting effects. Her recording doesn't have those 'square corners' associated with what you've mentioned.

tigisfat
May 4th, 2010, 20:11
I'm just going to come right out and say it, I can't stop listening to this song. Why you ask? Because I laugh every time she says "wokka wokka".

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/forum%20commentary%20pictures/Fozzie-bear.jpg
WOKKA WOKKA WOKKA EH EH!!

Quixoticish
May 5th, 2010, 00:00
I've got a few recent issues with Shakira, but this song isn't among them! It's a really nice song. For it's intended purpose, it is good song. It's upbeat, catchy, and I think a lot of time was done working the lyrics.

And, she sings it well. That's normal for her, she's an excellent artist.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the song and think the neighsayers are simply proof that you cannot please everyone, especially with regard to music.

But I find the objections to this song to be contrived.

Ken

I agree. I was expecting to open the video to find some hideous, borderline racist affront to South Africa that was completely lacking in tact and talent.

Instead I find a bouncy little pop ditty.

As Ken has already commented, objections to this song are very contrived indeed.

deathfromafar
May 5th, 2010, 00:38
Hers really doesn't sound like it's had pitch exacting effects. Her recording doesn't have those 'square corners' associated with what you've mentioned.

It takes an ear who's used to that kind of equipment to spot it. Pitch Quantize doesn't square off frequencies, it alters the input signal to the nearest even pitch. It's very subtle and on newer units, it's nearly impossible to detect. A heck of a lot of performers use them both in the studio and live. It helps round the edges so to speak.

Lewis-A2A
May 5th, 2010, 01:30
I have not even looked at the link yet, but when it comes to the real Football songs,...

uEb0X9NEX0I

0T1pXsJp_go

The land of real Ale, beer, real freedom and liberty, come on ENGLAND! :guinness: :england:

cheezyflier
May 5th, 2010, 06:17
thanks for posting the mad tv video. :applause: that was hillarious! :icon_lol:

Bjoern
May 7th, 2010, 11:17
The land of real Ale, beer, real freedom and liberty, come on ENGLAND! :guinness: :england:

Yeah, right...