PDA

View Full Version : cockpit zoom

skyhawka4m
May 2nd, 2010, 07:12
Is there a way to change the cockpit zoom so that you can zoom back furthure than the 30% in the sim?

also, is there a freeware program like there is for FS9 so that you can use the mouse to view and look around inside the cockpit?

Dangerous Beans
May 2nd, 2010, 07:17
also, is there a freeware program like there is for FS9 so that you can use the mouse to view and look around inside the cockpit?

FSX already has that as standard, just hold down the space bar.

Thoe6969
May 2nd, 2010, 07:31
Don't know what controller your using.but I assigned one of the buttons on my Saitek 52 to move (eyepoint back)and (eyepoint forward).

Skittles
May 2nd, 2010, 08:27
You can hold down shift+enter/shift+backspace/Ctrl+enter/ctrl+backspace to move back and forth/up and down in the VC.

fliger747
May 2nd, 2010, 18:43
Though I have also assigned the extra hat on the X52 to wander the eyepoint about the cockpit, I have moved the default point of view, usually back just a bit. Look 90 deg left or right and see how that compares to the seat back (in a fighter) for alignment.

Cheers: T

Snave
May 3rd, 2010, 01:15
I have several methods of looking around, depending on need, aircraft and mood.

1: Default look around as indicated using space bar and mouse. When the spacebar is pressed the mouse wheel acts as a zoom. There is a default key combo (Ctrl+O IIRC) that locks the mouse as a panning tool until you press the spacebar again.

2: Default look around using the hat switch on the joystick/yoke. I rarely used this much except for gauging the turn onto short finals or on the taxiway while waiting for an aircraft to clear the runway. This is a `locked` view so it stays where you look until you change it.

3: As I have rudder pedals I have converted the twist function on the joystick to panning. The difference is that this is set up to`snap back` so release the twist, view returns face-forwards.
I use this primarily on downwind and for looking out for other traffic in the pattern, and to check flaps and gear on those aircraft for which it is suited. It is also useful for returning the views of the hat switch quickly, without needing to use the hat to pan back. It tracks only in the horizontal plane i.e. left and right.

4: Track IR. If you don't know what that is, you should find out! It is the single best solution for the `hands on` simmer who is NOT flying a systems or procedural aircraft - i.e. one who is flying stick and rudder not on a/p, as it gives you the closest approximation to the real deal and allows you stay HOTAS with situational awareness. This may or may not be used with EZCA.

As for zoom, if you want a greater zoom out function then simply convert
WideViewAspect=False
to
WideViewAspect=True

in the FSX.cfg. This does NOT change the zoom itself, but does change the ratio so that `0.30` becomes a far more zoomed out viewpoint, albeit with considerable `fish eye` effect.

Finally, be specific about what you are changing. Zoom is a ratio to perspective, but it is also possible to move the actual eyepoint, again as noted above.