PDA

View Full Version : Good Grief, Another Gee Bee !!!

Mick
May 1st, 2010, 12:28
Just uploaded here and FlightSim:

"Granville Brothers Gee Bee Model A biplane, In-Line conversion. While they were building and selling the in-line Sportsters the Granvilles converted the prototype of the Model A biplane to an in-line powerplant. They replaced the original 113 hp Kinner radial engine with a 135hp Fairchild 6-390, resulting in a significant performance increase. No orders were obtained and the converted Model A remained a Granville company plane. During the winters, when business was slow, the brothers mounted the Model A (and other company and personal planes) on skis so they could visit the family farm in New Hampshire, landing on the snow-covered fields. The virtual In-Line Model A comes on both wheels and skis, and is suitable for both AI and piloted flight."

This will be the last of our Gee Bee collection. Now either David and I or other modelers have produced every plane the Granville Brothers company every built, and one that they never finished.

After the company closed, the Granvilles and some of their associates built a couple more planes, though not under the Gee Bee name, and maybe we'll do those at some point, but probably not real soon.

huub vink
May 2nd, 2010, 02:32
David and Mick, thanks for all those lovely GeeBees and scenery!

Cheers,
Huub

modelr
May 2nd, 2010, 03:24
Yes, Thanks Mick and David for this latest, and the rest of the GeeBee collection. Really fills out an important place in history. :applause::salute:

Jagdflieger
May 2nd, 2010, 07:44
Stopped by for coffee and a chat at the Granville hanger in Springfield.

If you don't have the A Model radial installed, you'll need to grab the gauges from it to make your inline A Model 2d and VC cockpits operational.

Mick
May 2nd, 2010, 19:23
Stopped by for coffee and a chat at the Granville hanger in Springfield.

If you don't have the A Model radial installed, you'll need to grab the gauges from it to make your inline A Model 2d and VC cockpits operational.

Oops!

I guess it never dawned on me that anyone would want the in-line Model A who didn't have the original radial version. Just goes to show that I shouldn't be doing things like this when I'm so busy that I don't really have time for hobby stuff.

I just uploaded the gauge cab file and the snow touchdown effect file for anyone who needs them.

Your screenie struck me in a nice way. I grew up within walking distance of Springfield Airport, though by the time I was old enough to walk there without an adult, it had become Springfield Plaza. When I saw your screenie it made me feel like you'd come to visit me in my old childhood neighborhood. I hope you enjoyed your visit!

robert41
May 2nd, 2010, 19:45
Thanks Mick and David for all your hard work.

Terry
May 4th, 2010, 06:30
Mick,

Thanks for the aircraft. Take a look at the ski version, there is a second prop sitting vertically from the gear through the upper wing. Is this just a texture anomally or did I screw something up.
The wheel version is fine.

MattJeo11
June 22nd, 2010, 14:21
Hope you will make the "Zeta" soon. Remember, "Time Flies." Thanks for all you've done. :ernae:.

Mick
September 5th, 2010, 14:29
Please forgive me for this slightly belated response! I thought this thread had run its course back in May, and I never saw the last two posts. David just got his SOH access issue resolved and was perusing the commentary about our planes when he stumbled upon this thread and its unanswered messages.

Terry, thanks for the heads up on the in-line Model A on skis. A fix is being prepared as I type this, and we'll release it as soon as its ready. I never saw the issue because I never saw the model in the sim. I have so little hobby time, and David works so much faster than I do, that I've never had the chance to fly quite a few of our planes, or at least quite a few versions of them. So I never would've seen the problem without your note about it. I just wish I'd seen it back in May!

Matt, we won't be doing the Model Z because that would be pointless. Anything we made would be no better than Wozza's, and probably not nearly as good.

Time Flies is a possibility. The Gee Bee that wasn't a Gee Bee. I could see how we might do that one when we get back into the Golden Age. I hope that won't be too long ...

MattJeo11
September 7th, 2010, 15:22
Thanks for the info. Time Flies would be awesome. :jump: Check out Mark Granville's "Zeta" at the new Museum of Springfield History. Not an actual Gee Bee either but definately Granville related.(Well worth a visit by anyone). That would look great with some hypothetical prewar textures as well as it's original colors. Anyways that's the Z meant- I totally agree with you on Wozza's Model "Z."

MattJeo11
September 7th, 2010, 18:34
The "Zeta" was designed and produced by Howell W "Pete" Miller but Mark flew it.