PDA

View Full Version : The best P-51D Mustang, with one bit fault...

jackedwardmorris95
April 28th, 2010, 13:58
Hands down the best P-51 is the Alphasim ex-payware. Everything is perfect, guns, flight model, detailed VC and cockpit, fully customizable textures. Just one problem. No damage model. After 7 minutes of being shot up by Zeroes, and being completely on fire, handling was not affected in the slightest. I'm not after visual effects, breaking parts, damage textures etc. but I do want a plane that falls out of the sky when it sustains enough damage. I was sick of being hit like this, so I switched to my ABsquad P-51, and my plane broke in 2 within 5 seconds. Any ways I can fix this. And if you want to suggest another P-51, don't waste your breath..
Thanks for any suggestions,

Jack

bearcat241
April 28th, 2010, 14:53
...And if you want to suggest another P-51, don't waste your breath...Thanks for any suggestions,

Huh????....hmmm, to suggest or not to suggest, that is the question :icon_lol:

Well, the Mustang is still well regarded as a killer, not cannon fodder. So if its a bullet magnet you want, this may not be your most realistic choice. But if you must have a fragile pony, the damage model isn't in the AIR file, its coded into the MDL file and its always associated with any damage texture in the texture folder for visual effects like breaking parts and bullet/shrapnel damage.

What you're referring to are the actual aerodynamic results of fatal damage -- the damage profile -- which is first registered by the DP file (short for damage profile). The sim reads the structural damage registered on the DP by the location and severity of the hits, then transmits to the AIR file which systems and structures will be affected and how much.

The difference you're experiencing between the two distinct models is the strength of their respective DP files. The Alpha bird has stronger lifepoint values than the AB bird, so it sustains more damage. Its just a question of how the two different model makers constructed the DP's, and nothing else. And keep in mind that the pony wasn't as fragile as you think. It had a very robust structural airframe and could take some serious damage and keep flying. Only its liquid-cooled engine and the exposed belly location of its single radiator made it seem more vunerable than other fighters.

Devildog73
April 28th, 2010, 15:51
Since you don't want any suggestions of excellent P-51s, I won't suggest any. But there are some really good ones out here.

And, as Bearcat suggested, most US aircraft absorbed quite a bit of damage and keep on flying.

PJMack
April 28th, 2010, 17:14
Since you don't want any suggestions of excellent P-51s, I won't suggest any. But there are some really good ones out here.

And, as Bearcat suggested, most US aircraft absorbed quite a bit of damage and keep on flying.

For the rest of us,,,please make some suggestions, Warwick Carters is my favorite. Any takers?:jump:

sc7500
April 28th, 2010, 17:44
Andrew C Wai... I have never seen so many repaints for one P-51 Set !

SC
:kilroy:

bearcat241
April 28th, 2010, 21:41
Andrew C Wai... I have never seen so many repaints for one P-51 Set !

SC

I concur SC...that would have been my suggestion...err, make that "recommendation"...also. :icon29:

When it comes to native CFS2 Ponies, this model -- with all of its wonderful repaints -- logs more flight time than any other at Bearcat Hangars. BTW SC, what unit does your posted texture belong to? I'm copying and importing it for a new skin and i want to get the title right in my aircraft.cfg header.

jackedwardmorris95
April 29th, 2010, 02:14
Right sorry, I mean Big, not Bit, and Suggest any fixes to the problem, not new P-51s,
Thanks,

Jack

jackedwardmorris95
April 29th, 2010, 02:19
Well, the Mustang is still well regarded as a killer, not cannon fodder. So if its a bullet magnet you want, this may not be your most realistic choice. But if you must have a fragile pony, the damage model isn't in the AIR file, its coded into the MDL file and its always associated with any damage texture in the texture folder for visual effects like breaking parts and bullet/shrapnel damage.

I'm sorry, but no aircraft takes 7 minutes of being continually shot at by 5 aircraft at the same time to go down.. I took enough rounds to sink the Bismarck!

bearcat241
April 29th, 2010, 05:18
I'm sorry, but no aircraft takes 7 minutes of being continually shot at by 5 aircraft at the same time to go down.. I took enough rounds to sink the Bismarck!

Sorry to sound contentious Jack, but i've been playing this sim for a loooong time now and i spend 80% of my flight time in QC, enough to know that you can't be attacked by five aircraft at once, or "at the same time", as you put it. CFS2 AI don't work that way, even on ACE skill settings. Even if you have the fight set up at 3-1, they only come at you 2 at a time and only the lead bogey takes the shots at you before passing off to its wingman. Meanwhile the others are just milling around waiting for their turn at you -- you NEVER get five firing at the same time.

The AI attack code only allows for rear and head-on aspect firing solutions against the player, so that presents a small window of opportunity for a swarm of AI to attack you, even as aces. That's why they can't fire at you from every direction at once. And also keep in mind that the damage dice of the stock Zero's guns are weak, at least in my opinion, so it takes a lot of firing to fatally damage most US models in CFS2. So if you're taking enough hits to "sink the Bismark", it means you have a lot of work to do in improving your ACM -- learning how to be the supreme killer and avoid being the prey by developing your defensive maneuvering. If you're taking hits from 5 different attackers by individual turns, you're doing a lot of things wrong in your fighting with the Pony and the strength of your damage profiles is the least of your problems.

Get your skills up, killer!...or remain the victim of the sim's "unskilled and basically stupid" AI.

jackedwardmorris95
April 29th, 2010, 05:32
Get your skills up, killer!...or remain the victim of the sim's "unskilled and basically stupid" AI.

It probably was 2 as I was in cockpit view, and I saw a hell of a lot of bullets going past me (and hitting me), and secondly I was flying straight and level at 50% to try and test the damage model while on a single mission. I tried against a formation of 12 bettys today, I was there for a good five minutes and was engulfed in fire before my engine cut. I am simply annoyed with the fact that this is the perfect P-51, its just, Invincible. Try it yourself, download it from alphasim freeware, go to Aces O' Hare's Mission and fly in the middle of the formation and see how long it takes to go down, then you will realise how frustrating it gets!

Jack

sc7500
April 29th, 2010, 14:29
Howdy, Bear;

The skin that sample came from is:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
p51d_iron_ass.zip

P-51D, 44-11661, 'Iron Ass' of Lt. Col. Jack J. Oberhansly, 334th FS, 4th FG, December 1944.
AC Wai VERSION 1.0 4-15-2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you don't have it already, or can't find it, PM me with your email addy, and I'll fire it off to you.

SC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just to toss a little steel wool on the embers, here's a list of skins and the base plane what I found on my HD in archive tonight:

afm_p51d.zip
p51d_6_shooter.zip
p51d_angel.zip
p51d_ballzout2.zip
p51d_doc_watson.zip
p51d_foxy.zip
p51d_frenesi.zip
p51d_moose.zip
p51d_grim_reaper.zip
p51d_ladymarion.zip
p51d_mccomas.zip
p51d_shrimp.zip
P-51D Taiwan 7 FS 3 FG.zip

and the elusive Template_p_51d.zip

Devildog73
April 29th, 2010, 16:54
I would concur that Andrew Wai's is the premiere "D" model.

I experimented with all available B/C models for the Tuskegee Airmen missions and finally settled on the VB P-51B as the best B/C model available at the time. I still have not seen/flown any better.

I have Alphasim's P-51B and D models. The D is a vast improvement over their B model, "out of the box". The B has no VC, no working canopy. Neither one have working gauges in 3D cockpit.

Andrew Wai's D model has working canopy and working gauges in both cockpit views.
VB's B model has working gauges in both cockpit views.

I also like FDG2 P-51D, which has working canopy and working gauges in both cockpit views.

bearcat241
April 29th, 2010, 19:55
I would concur that Andrew Wai's is the premiere "D" model.

I experimented with all available B/C models for the Tuskegee Airmen missions and finally settled on the VB P-51B as the best B/C model available at the time. I still have not seen/flown any better.

I have Alphasim's P-51B and D models. The D is a vast improvement over their B model, "out of the box". The B has no VC, no working canopy. Neither one have working gauges in 3D cockpit.

Andrew Wai's D model has working canopy and working gauges in both cockpit views.
VB's B model has working gauges in both cockpit views.

I also like FDG2 P-51D, which has working canopy and working gauges in both cockpit views.

The ACW Pony also has animated ammo bays with the wingfold keystroke that lifts the covers to expose the ammo boxes in the wings -- a very cool extra.