PDA

View Full Version : 2009 beaver crash in alaska

tigisfat
April 27th, 2010, 23:37
I wasn't sure if this had been here before. I posted it just in case noone saw it.

YVwlodvWh7w

TARPSBird
April 27th, 2010, 23:51
Whoa!!! That didn't go well at all. :eek:

Bjoern
April 28th, 2010, 00:21
Ouch!

Lionheart
April 28th, 2010, 00:43
Yep, posted before.

Definately didnt let it get onto the front step, never getting up to good airspeed. His elevator was pulled back too far, keeping it from hydroplaning..

Horrible to see such a cool bird crash..

Bill

brad kaste
April 28th, 2010, 05:49
....I was wondering if anyone knew the crash was caused through pilot error or by mechanical malfunction? And did the pilot make it out ok?

Skittles
April 28th, 2010, 05:58
....I was wondering if anyone knew the crash was caused through pilot error or by mechanical malfunction? And did the pilot make it out ok?

Regardless of whether this was a mechanical fault the crash was pilot error.

He's not left the water 20 metres from the shore and is still at full throttle. He forces it into the air, exceeds the critical AOA and comes straight back down to earth. As soon as I got anywhere near that shoreline I would have cut the throttle and slowed down, use a little gentle rudder to steer myself away from the beach if possible.

The fact that he starts the take off run with a curve suggests he knows he hasn't got much room, and was trying to eek a little more length out of his run.

I don't criticise pilots for their errors (unless it's gross negligence) but this was definately pilot error.

exc141ac
April 28th, 2010, 05:58
Aiming into the wind probably would have helped.

Skittles
April 28th, 2010, 06:02
Give me a minute and I'll find the accident report. Definitely no casualties though.

Edit: Here we go. The NTSB report;

The private pilot was taking off in the float plane from the lake's west waterway. The airplane was on step, gaining airspeed, and the takeoff run seemed normal to the pilot. The airplane was nearing takeoff speed, and proceeding directly down the waterway, when it encountered a right quartering tailwind gust that lifted up the right wing and float. The airplane veered to the left toward a steep bank, and the pilot was unable to correct the deviation with the rudder. He did not feel that he could reduce power as he would slam into the bank. The airplane lifted off, but the float collided with the top of the bank. The airplane cartwheeled about 160 degrees to the left before coming to rest on its right side. It sustained substantial damage to the wings, fuselage, and floats. The pilot reported that there were no mechanical malfunctions or failures. Reported wind at the airport approximately 3 minutes after the accident was from 020 degrees magnetic at 3 knots, with no recorded gusts.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilot’s failure to maintain directional control during takeoff.

Whilst I guarantee this is the right report, does anyone get the feeling that the accident and the report are covering two different things?.......

OBIO
April 28th, 2010, 06:08
When that "accident" happened, I read some accounts about the pilot. Seems as though the Beaver was a replacement for the Cessna floater that he ripped the pontoons off during a landing. Definitely not a pilot I would want to be flying with. I am not a real pilot, but I could clearly see a number of things he did wrong during that take off run. Luckily, he did not kill any member of his family, the family dog, or the kid taking the video.

OBIO

brad kaste
April 28th, 2010, 06:15
When that "accident" happened, I read some accounts about the pilot. Seems as though the Beaver was a replacement for the Cessna floater that he ripped the pontoons off during a landing. Definitely not a pilot I would want to be flying with. I am not a real pilot, but I could clearly see a number of things he did wrong during that take off run. Luckily, he did not kill any member of his family, the family dog, or the kid taking the video.

OBIO

OBIO,.....I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not gonna' call the pilot a knucklehead, but I noticed this bit of 'hot shot' attitude showing during the take off run too. To think the kid taking the video could have died if he was located another 30ft. or so up the fence line.

oakfloor
April 28th, 2010, 08:42
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20090608X44501&key=1
Here is the NTSB report.